• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 d kennedy turning white.

12 posts in this topic

All or most if my coins look like the 1989 that us pictured. My 68 is the only coin I have that has a whiteness to it. It us still in the packaging as a mint set. Not sure why or how or if it is ruining the coin...anyone have input?

16028934465988543110643639216726.jpg

16028934847055118032669159875342.jpg

From 1965 to 1970, Kennedy halves were made of an 80% silver/20% copper layer over a core of .209 silver/.791 copper. 1971 and later were made of 75% copper/25% nickel over a core of pure copper. The 80% silver layer is likely why the '68 that you posted first is lighter than the '89. The other '68 may be darker because of toning, caused by exposure to the environment. 

Copper-nickel is often described as "silvery-white" but it is really just gray. That's most of why your earlier Kennedy halves look "whiter" than the later ones (as others have described).

9 hours ago, Dtkingsley said:

Would this affect how thus coin would grade? To me it makes it look unattractive but that is just my opinion. Does it affect the value as well?

If you mean the normal coin color, no. You photos don't show any significant toning either. However, they also show dings and other marks that reduce the "grade" and lower desirability among collectors. None of the coins pictured are worth enough to justify the expense of third-party-grading. A common lower value limit is about $200 (or more) before you might recover the TPG cost on selling.

Oh trust me I don't intend on having either graded. And I understand about the dings . My main question was about the coloring. Its obviously a natural thing...but was just wondering about why it changes to a white/gray. And how it would affect value and grading.

There are those who will disagree with me, but, in my opinion, neither the color of a coin, nor its "eye appeal" should effect the grade - at least not the assigned number. The amount of wear (on a circulated coin,) and the number of contact marks ( on an uncirculated coin,) should determine the grade. "Eye appeal" is subjective, and can not be defined quantitatively. Well, that may not be entirely true. You can assign a number to it, but that number will be arbitrary, and should not determine the grade. If anything, it should be listed separately, along with strike, luster, and any other descriptive term that the hobby decides is necessary to assign a value.

Edited by Just Bob

5 hours ago, Just Bob said:

There are those who will disagree with me, but, in my opinion, neither the color of a coin, nor its "eye appeal" should effect the grade - at least not the assigned number. The amount of wear (on a circulated coin,) and the number of contact marks ( on an uncirculated coin,) should determine the grade. "Eye appeal" is subjective, and can not be defined quantitatively. Well, that may not be entirely true. You can assign a number to it, but that number will be arbitrary, and should not determine the grade. If anything, it should be listed separately, along with strike, luster, and any other descriptive term that the hobby decides is necessary to assign a value.

“Should”? Sure. “Ever gonna be”? Nope. Deal with it. It needs to be included in a singular grade. 

Not to get in a match....but i don't think eye appeal should matter at all. Grading sounds like it deals with the condition of the coin, which is not subjective, unlike eye appeal. For example...just because I find a woman attractive doesn't mean you do. .......thats eye appeal...purely subjective. But I do believe eye appeal should/could affect value.

6 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Deal with it.

Fortunately, I don't have to deal with it very often. Aside from my Roosevelts, nothing I buy is slabbed. :)