• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please Help. Do you have a coin with this rim?

38 posts in this topic

On 10/16/2020 at 8:15 AM, Insider said:

It is not damage!!!   I thought some kind of die fatigue too.  Due to the responses I now wonder if the planchet was not annealed properly and the upset mill did this. 

That would be my opinion.

When the blank goes through the mill the periphery becomes more crystalline than the rest of the coin. If the blank was not annealed sufficiently prior to upsetting, the grains after the upsetting, (around the periphery,) will be so large that malleability will decrease significantly.

The metal of the raised edge of the planchet that becomes the rim will contain the largest grains, since it is metal that was deformed during upsetting.  So a planchet made from a poorly annealed blank will be less ductile, and under normal striking pressures the metal at the edge will not be forced up into the rim cavity where die (almost) meets collar, sufficiently to eliminate the crystalline patterns visible on the tops of the rims of your coin(s).

3 hours ago, Insider said:

I have no clue.  Perhaps you should ask the experts.  Until Jason, you, and a few others started to asking great questions and making  suggestions I never gave this a thought.  All I know for sure is this is NOT PMD.   

Or perhaps that the pristine condition of the rest of the coin strongly argues against it being PMD? That sort of verbiage I can wrap my brain around.  

48 minutes ago, ProfHaroldHill said:

That would be my opinion.

When the blank goes through the mill the periphery becomes more crystalline than the rest of the coin. If the blank was not annealed sufficiently prior to upsetting, the grains after the upsetting, (around the periphery,) will be so large that malleability will decrease significantly.

The metal of the raised edge of the planchet that becomes the rim will contain the largest grains, since it is metal that was deformed during upsetting.  So a planchet made from a poorly annealed blank will be less ductile, and under normal striking pressures the metal at the edge will not be forced up into the rim cavity where die (almost) meets collar, sufficiently to eliminate the crystalline patterns visible on the tops of the rims of your coin(s).

Do you mean ductile here? Or is this a special shape of malleability?

10 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Or perhaps that the pristine condition of the rest of the coin strongly argues against it being PMD? That sort of verbiage I can wrap my brain around.  

Yes, this is a case where the entire coin would save me a lot of grief so folks would believe me when I posted that the coin was a TOTALLY ORIGINAL "gem" and the marks were not damage.  

Edited by Insider

On 10/14/2020 at 8:53 PM, Insider said:

NOTE TO ALL MEMBERS:  I personally do not care what you collect, how you collect, the value of your collection, whether you buy TPG'ed coins, etc, Furthermore, I'm not interested in your sex, race, religion, politics or anything else about you.  That's because I really cannot tolerate most people!   :nyah:

Except, of course, when you are soliciting their opinions on quizzes.  A most peculiar approach to problem-solving which makes me look good --  and that's really bad!

That's because I really cannot tolerate most people! 

My long lost brother from another mother! Hail to all curmudgeons, the only people who truly understand what's going on!

:facepalm: I have no clue where you got that idea. 

NOTE TO ALL MEMBERS:  I personally do not care what you collect, how you collect, the value of your collection, whether you buy TPG'ed coins, etc, Furthermore, I'm not interested in your sex, race, religion, politics or anything else about you.  That's because I really cannot tolerate most people!   :nyah:

What I do care about is THIS:  Building up this web site so my company does not make me start one; and If I can help you become a more knowledgeable person (especially as a coin collector) and you can help me, I'll die happy.  :x  Love to all!!

We spend time in Sarasota with family and otherwise to vacation and I'll bet you would find me tolerable, most I've met there are. B|