• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask a friend to sign up and make a post.
1 1

47 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Kurt - I've chosen to view a few of your responses to this thread, as others have quoted you and I felt the need to respond. You are still on ignore, of course. 

I have absolutely no problem with people owning KKK items. I have no problem with people owning Nazi items. I am from Charleston, SC, and one of the local collectibles you'll see at shows here are slave tags (basically, IDs to let people know what job a slave was qualified to perform). These are all historical items, and if collected and presented with the proper historical context, I personally don't see any issue in owning them. Not my personal interest, but as I said, I'm from the South so I've seen these items for sale. The historical context is important - obviously, these items are not ok on their own. 

The problem this weekend was that another member accused a few of us of being in the Klan, and posted a series of KKK medals and associated us with them. I personally find this the most vile of accusations, and any member here who would accuse me of being associated with the KKK is absolutely despicable. 

As would I, Jason, as would I. You do have a very strong personality, however, and you have discovered that can be a mixed blessing, Again, as have I. 

26 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

By the way - moving one’s life 760 miles while 65 years of age? Not for the feint of heart. Trust me. 

Lots of people over the decades moved at that age -- or older -- from NY to Florida.

In fact, I just attended an estate sale for a woman in her 80's who's making the trek ! 

1 minute ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Lots of people over the decades moved at that age -- or older -- from NY to Florida.

In fact, I just attended an estate sale for a woman in her 80's who's making the trek ! 

Difference - I’m not downsizing. In fact, I’m upsizing considerably. Only the costs are decreasing. The square footage is GREATLY increasing. 

Edited by VKurtB

11 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Kurt - I've chosen to view a few of your responses to this thread, as others have quoted you and I felt the need to respond. You are still on ignore, of course. 

I have absolutely no problem with people owning KKK items. I have no problem with people owning Nazi items. I am from Charleston, SC, and one of the local collectibles you'll see at shows here are slave tags (basically, IDs to let people know what job a slave was qualified to perform). These are all historical items, and if collected and presented with the proper historical context, I personally don't see any issue in owning them. Not my personal interest, but as I said, I'm from the South so I've seen these items for sale. The historical context is important - obviously, these items are not ok on their own. 

The problem this weekend was that another member accused a few of us of being in the Klan, and posted a series of KKK medals and associated us with them. I personally find this the most vile of accusations, and any member here who would accuse me of being associated with the KKK is absolutely despicable. 

I own lots of stuff I know nothing about. That’s kind of what I plan to do in retirement - study some of that stuff. 

29 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

By the way, if I thought newbies would actually read them, instead of falling prey to their initial over-enthusiasm, I’d agree that having more newbie specific “stickies” at the top of that forum would be useful.

That's a good idea.  When I bring up the Main Forums Page, the top stuff takes up 1/2 my desktop screen.  When I hit the "U.S. COINS" page, the Sub Forums takes up the Top 1/2 of my screen.  Need to shrink BOTH of those so the stuff below -- which is what we are looking for -- doesn't need to be scrolled to.

I like the sticky idea....there are some timely and important threads that should always be pinned at the top for visibility.  Maybe Dena can determine that with feedback from some Veteran posters....maybe the Veteran posters can do that...maybe if enough people recommend a particular thread...whatever.

Not to toot my own horn, but I think that the book on Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles is probably worthy of being pinned.  It's a spectacular book AND it relates to one of the most popular coins and as such both the book and the thread will probably be updated as folks interested in Saints come to this site and update that thread and/or other Saint threads.

Same reasons can be applied to other threads by others.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

BTW, the thread on Roger's Saint-Gaudens book is now over 20 pages long, which isn't bad for 6 months existence.  And the fact that Roger provided invaluable and fantastic posts added to the quality of the thread.

Let's not lose that here at NGC.  Not everybody is going to agree on everything, let alone sensitive or controversial topics (coin and other), but we'd all be the poorer without the Forums.  That Saint-Gaudens book thread is a treasure trove of Q&A's...imagine not being able to access it in the future ?  Or similar threads ? (thumbsu

20 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

What?!? I'm human? I thought I was Numismatist... an ascended being floating on the collective knowledge of the metallurgical gods! 

I like to think that I like to question anything that questions my beliefs. On an internet forum, that may not always come across in the way that I intended. Some people may find me condescending and arrogant - when my real purpose is just to ask a question and try to learn something. If I'm wrong, I really want to know that I'm wrong - and I want you to explain why I'm wrong. If you can't do that... then of course I'm not going to change my mind! If you try to overwhelm me with credentials, but can't really explain anything relevant to the question at hand.... I'm not going to respect you and I'm not going to change my mind. If you try to overwhelm me with words but don't actually say anything, I'm not inclined to listen. 

In short - I am always learning from people who have something important to teach me. 

Ask me a logical question. I'll give you a logical answer. Now, life might get in the way and I might miss your post. Happens to the best of us. Or, what someone thinks might be a logical question I might not think is worth my time answering, either because the answer is readily available or because I've already answered it a dozen times and google would be faster. Or... as in the case of a couple recent threads, we may disagree on the fundamental basics of the question at hand. 

I don't usually consider myself a control freak. I will admit a satisfaction when all of MauleMalls recent posts/threads got poofed. He posted Nazi memes and ended up calling me a member of the KKK. That is ridiculously unacceptable, especially when he touted how "untouchable" he was because of his longevity here on the forums. No amount of time makes those sort of posts acceptable. 

You have always answered any direct question I've addressed to you.  This part of my post was directed to a young man who has NEVER responded to a direct question from me. Unfortunately, his posts are too funny to put him on "ignore" and the guy is trying to sound informed.

As for MauleMalls...:hi: He joined the other guy.    

On 10/14/2020 at 5:43 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

but a new member is probably not going to be aware of who they should ignore, or even how to do that.

The responsibility of informing a new member, or anyone else, who they should or should not ignore does not belong to me, you, or any other member of this forum.

On 10/14/2020 at 5:39 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

If you find me annoying, can you even comprehend how annoying I find you? Or Quintus Arrius? Or ProfHaroldHill? I'd bet 50% of posts in the past week are from the three of you, and not a single useful thing has been typed between the lot of you. 

This from someone who claimed to have put me on ignore. Honesty and civility seem not to be among his strong points.

On 10/14/2020 at 3:02 PM, Insider said:

If the dozen members posting in this part of the NGC forum were to ask one of their friends on another forum to drop in over here and post a discussion (or not) it would double the activity.  

I'll see about getting word out to the old C&PM Posse. 

Then I'm gonna go look for my white Stetson. Time to saddle up...

The Posse rides again. 

On 10/14/2020 at 9:30 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

There needs to be a balance between the sometimes-Orwellian moderation of the PCGS forums and the completely wild west lack of moderation on the NGC forums. 

I want to be able to criticize NGC decisions and announcements, as I currently can (but wouldn't on the PCGS forums). 

I don't want to be called a Nazi and KKK for criticizing members of the NGC forum (as I was this weekend). 

A properly moderated forum draws the line somewhere in-between. I don't consider myself a snowflake, but when someone starts a thread, calls me out, posts KKK medals, and says that I fit the bill.... I'd say that crosses a line. 

Here is the problem.  If someone calls me or any member of my family anything, it does not matter.  A majority of folks on the "planet" (a "woke" word used by progressives and uninformed snowflakes who lap up their anti-USA teachings to replace the word "EARTH.") have been lied about, called names, etc.  Get over it!  The member who baited you (BTW in a sneaky way I liked) stepped way off bounds (tsk) with his comments.  Since he rarely posted anything of value to me, he joined my special group of 2.  :hi:  

However, I understand EXACTLY how he feels about :busy: "chat forum police." who would rather report something in a discussion RATHER THAN JUST KEEP OUT OF IT AND GO AWAY.  

On 10/14/2020 at 8:39 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

Dena posted a strongly worded warning here: 

Nazi...  KKK... and 

Dude... publicly call for everyone to ignore you... Quintus Arrius

The Nazis and KKK are a part of history.  If it were up to you, you would demolish the Auschwitz exhibit at the Jewish Museum in New York.

Dude?  Have you any idea how old our much esteemed colleague VKurtB is?  You remind me of those who refer to women as broads and spinsters. You're presumptuous and disrespectful!

Calling for "everyone to ignore you," or any member for that matter, is a violation of the Guidelines. YOU MAY NOT ENGAGE IN SUCH BEHAVIOR!

Quintus Arrius has one foot in the grave and is living on borrowed time.  I believe regular Forum devotees are well aware you criticized Prof. Hill for the same reasons you did me after consulting your well-thumbed boilerplate speech: boring, long-winded -- deriving enjoyment from hearing one speak.  Nevertheless, recognizing you are well out of your league, you will always be "pi-guy" to me. Just don't forget: VKurtB was, is, and will always be right.  I accept that; why can't you?

On 10/14/2020 at 5:43 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

but a new member is probably not going to be aware of who they should ignore, or even how to do that. 

And who exactly determines who I should ignore - you?  I have seen some very worthwhile postings from many of the people you think should be ignored.  Simply because they get under your skin doesn't mean that is across the board for everyone.  It is not your call or anyone else's to determine who another member ignores.  I am a new member you speak of.   

I can only imagine in your anger you didn't mean that the way you presented.  And if you did - thanks but no thanks. I am quite capable of determining who I want to see posts from.   Ignoring is not my cup of tea as I believe all parties bring something to the table - good and bad or otherwise.  Breaking rules is a different story and sad you were on the receiving end of some of that.  

Still here.

Never even disciplined by site management AT ALL. None whatsoever.

No warnings, no anything.

4 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Still here.

Never even disciplined by site management AT ALL. None whatsoever.

No warnings, no anything.

You enjoy the rare luxury of being universally liked, what can I say?

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

You enjoy the rare luxury of being universally liked, what can I say?

If only... I have a tendency to tick lots of people off, especially people (not Roger) who write books, and take themselves waaaaaay too seriously.

Edited by VKurtB