• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Learn Grading: Hierarchy of Grades, Designations and Strike Characters

8 posts in this topic

This is great information and very helpful. My issue is with the many sellers that don’t use same grading scale as NGC.  While their scale may closely resemble NGCs some grades don’t come close to what the coin represents. I truly wish it was a written coin collecting rule that every coin dealer/seller MUST use same grading scale notations. I’ve bought from Amazon and EBay and a few other dealers hoping the grading was correct only to find the coin is no where near what it was advertised as being. Thank you for allowing me to address this very frustrating issue. 

On 7/12/2023 at 8:18 PM, George Wayne Coffman said:

This is great information and very helpful. My issue is with the many sellers that don’t use same grading scale as NGC.  While their scale may closely resemble NGCs some grades don’t come close to what the coin represents. I truly wish it was a written coin collecting rule that every coin dealer/seller MUST use same grading scale notations. I’ve bought from Amazon and EBay and a few other dealers hoping the grading was correct only to find the coin is no where near what it was advertised as being. Thank you for allowing me to address this very frustrating issue. 

That's why I only buy coins that have been pre graded by NGC instead of hoping that the seller is correct in their grade assessment.

Anytime you are purchasing a coin that you do not have in hand to inspect and self grade on the spot, especially when buying coins off the internet, grading can be difficult from just photos, as well as you cannot go by the sellers "opinion" of what the grade is. Most internet sellers "bump" their grade descriptions to get the coin either to sell quickly, or to make as much money as possible off of the sale. I frequently see descriptions of BU, UNC, and GEM on coins that are clearly AU at best and sometimes even only XF. Remember, not all sellers are honest, upstanding individuals.

You need to rely on your own self grading techniques to assess any coin you purchase, whether raw, in hand, or from the internet, and even sometimes on slabbed coins as grading is a subjective endeavor. Another thing that I find as important is when buying a coin from the internet, NEVER buy from a seller who does not accept returns. Sometimes just a slight tilt of the coin when you receive it can allow light to hit the surface of the coin exposing flaws that were not evident in the photos. When finding either a cleaning, or some other form of damage, you need to be able to return that coin and get your money back so you can continue your search to find a coin you are satisfied with for the money you will be parting with.

On 7/12/2023 at 8:18 PM, George Wayne Coffman said:

My issue is with the many sellers that don’t use same grading scale as NGC ...  While their scale may closely resemble NGCs some grades don’t come close to what the coin represents

The scale is the same, but as noted less scrupulous or inexperienced sellers commonly overstate grades of raw coins on sites like eBay.  I would recommend getting better at grading coins yourself, and for raw coins stick with more reputable and well known dealers like Apmex, MCM and Littleton.

And carefully and completely evaluate any coin, raw or slabbed, as soon as you receive it.  Many dealers/sellers have a time limit on returns.  Buying raw coins on eBay from sellers who do not have solid reviews and no questions returns, and without having good grading skills, is just asking for trouble.

On 7/12/2023 at 11:33 PM, powermad5000 said:

You need to rely on your own self grading techniques to assess any coin you purchase ...

NEVER buy from a seller who does not accept returns ...

Good advice that would likely keep a lot of people buying raw coins on eBay out of trouble.

On 7/12/2023 at 10:33 PM, powermad5000 said:

Remember, not all sellers are honest, upstanding individuals

In fact, a solid majority are not.

reminds me of what W.C. Fields said "there is a sucker born every minute"    or was that VKURTB  so you need to educate yourself on the series you are concentrating on learn about before you ever pull the trigger on the coin you want.

On 7/14/2023 at 1:45 PM, JT2 said:

reminds me of what W.C. Fields said "there is a sucker born every minute"    or was that VKURTB  so you need to educate yourself on the series you are concentrating on learn about before you ever pull the trigger on the coin you want.

Especially dealing remotely overseas. You’re asking to get took. And you are in a legal Wild West.