• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2015 (w) eagle s$1 first releases ms 69 DD

65 posts in this topic

I disagree that is clearly  a ddo. Any coin that is mint error is automatically it seems as collectible. Case(s) in point open any coin collector magazine and notice the monetary value of any coin with a ddo or ddr and it is always worth more. It isn’t marked up because of frequency      I’ll bet my house on that point alone. 

17 minutes ago, rocket23 said:

I disagree that is clearly  a ddo. Any coin that is mint error is automatically it seems as collectible. Case(s) in point open any coin collector magazine and notice the monetary value of any coin with a ddo or ddr and it is always worth more. It isn’t marked up because of frequency      I’ll bet my house on that point alone. 

Not all doubling is DDO or DDR. Machine or strike doubling MAY bring some premium in some parts of the new collector community, they surely are enraptured with the things, but they are not numismatically interesting for the mainstream of the hobby. Learning the difference between strike or machine doubling, and true doubled die coins is just so critical a SKILL, I wish I could impart it onto every new collector. but alas, I cannot. My best advice is to be your own harshest skeptic. Assume you have nothing worthwhile and you won't keep getting disappointed. A VERY, no, EXTREMELY small proportion of what looks like doubling really are doubled dies.

Edited by VKurtB

I should of taken pictures. But the coins I sent for grading to Ngc will tell if indeed there is a difference between ddo or machine stamping errors in my case the “in god we trust” has the same doubling for lack of a better term. Minted at West Point for what it’s worth. Probably nothing with my luck lol

38 minutes ago, rocket23 said:

I should of taken pictures. But the coins I sent for grading to Ngc will tell if indeed there is a difference between ddo or machine stamping errors in my case the “in god we trust” has the same doubling for lack of a better term. Minted at West Point for what it’s worth. Probably nothing with my luck lol

Almost certainly nothing. The idea that a doubled die on an ASE die would sneak through is pretty unthinkable.

5 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Almost certainly nothing. The idea that a doubled die on an ASE die would sneak through is pretty unthinkable.

Uh my coins are not ase’s that are being graded and mint error checked. Sorry bout that. 

37 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

When can we pick up the keys to your house?

And what magazine shows ddo or ddr worth nothing? Clearly there’s 2 groups of collector values here. I’m partial to the rarest coins available and not necessarily the perfection of coins period. 

16 minutes ago, rocket23 said:

And what magazine shows ddo or ddr worth nothing? Clearly there’s 2 groups of collector values here. I’m partial to the rarest coins available and not necessarily the perfection of coins period. 

Rarity without demand means nothing. There has to be both. Most minor DDO's and DDR's have little to no demand, even if they are real DDO's and DDR's, which most are NOT. Strike doubling and/or machine doubling are literally worth nothing.

30 minutes ago, rocket23 said:

The issue you have is not being able to distinguish between a true doubled die coin and MD, the coin posted in the op is clearly MD.  And who uses magazines in this digital age?

Edited by Coinbuf

I read mags all the time, and well I confess youtube is full of videos about coins at auction bringing in serious money.....but there really is no proof unless you/we actually attend an auction selling such coins..........so we're are all these serious bidders at such an auction?? Ebay doesn't qualify I'm sure we agree there.

Youtube is a cesspool of misinformation, yes there is true and good information there but those are far out numbered by the garbage.  Auctions for true doubled die coins like the 72/72 and 55/55 Lincolns do indeed bring strong money for the right coins.  However in the case of both those coins there exists more than just one doubled die variety for the date, in the case of the 72/72 there are seven different doubled die varieties but only one is worth the big money.  The other six are usually only worth a few bucks unless in uber high grade condition.

6 hours ago, rocket23 said:

Minted at West Point for what it’s worth. Probably nothing with my luck

Well since the W is in () that means there is no mintmark and it is a bullion coin.  With just a couple of exceptions ALL bullion ASE's are struck in West Point.

4 hours ago, rocket23 said:

And what magazine shows ddo or ddr worth nothing?

None, because if they aren't worth any premium they aren't listed separately.

9 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

Well since the W is in () that means there is no mintmark and it is a bullion coin.  With just a couple of exceptions ALL bullion ASE's are struck in West Point.

Not  ase' but quarters were submitted for grading......more to the point circulated not bullion.

Sorry title indicated a 2015 (W) eagle and the OP image was that of an ASE.  And since no one mentioned anything about quarters I assumed we were still discussing ASE's.

On 10/14/2020 at 1:46 PM, rocket23 said:

On which point are you betting your house? hm

2 minutes ago, rocket23 said:

Anyone can, and they often do, ask anything for anything. That doesn’t mean there’s an actual market for it. Only the most obvious and famous doubled die coins bring serious money. Subtlety is not an asset, and not all DDO’s and DDR’s are created equal. The thing that is truly obscene is these YouTube jockeys who overhype doubling, promoting it as something it is not. You won’t put together a meaningful collection working on doubled die coins. The market for it is unbelievably thin, made up mostly of people adding to the supply of them without a corresponding demand for them.

27 minutes ago, rocket23 said:

Did you just ask me if I needed a tutor?

I was going to make a joke and try to have a fun conversation with you, but never mind.

7 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Did you just ask me if I needed a tutor?

I was going to make a joke and try to have a fun conversation with you, but never mind.

I must of read your post the wrong way. By all means let’s have some fun. After all, our coins. will be here long after we are. 

32 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

Will a TPG look for a error coin on submission if it isn't noted on the sub form?

IF it is a DDO or DDR ANACS will find it!!! buwhahaha