• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Violate the Guidelines and you will be Suspended or Banned
1 1

78 posts in this topic

• Administrator
10 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Slightly Off-Topic....is there a way to save/read/print an entire thread or see it as a PDF (for preservation reasons since a thread could later be deleted and all the content lost) ?

Right now, you can only go page-by-page.

Don't know but I will check and get back to you on this and the other questions asked in this thread.

48 minutes ago, dena said:

The previous forum software was no longer supported. We looked at a few different replacements and this software appeared to be a good replacement. Unfortunately there is a limit to how we can customize it and when we find things that are broken, we must report it to the vendor and hope they will include a solution in the next release. 

Don't get me wrong, Dena, it's not as aesthetically appealing as it was before (IMO) but it's NOT a diaster.  Ultimately, I am looking for subject quality in message boards and the quality in many threads here is excellent as is the contributions of posters.  So that's why I come back.

Should you ever need to update the software again, feel free to ping me (and others here) and I'd be happy to show you the diverse layouts of various forums from a variety of interests (investing, political, sports, etc.). 

49 minutes ago, dena said:

Don't know but I will check and get back to you on this and the other questions asked in this thread.

Thanks no rush Dena....I would prioritize enabling unlimited LIKES and maybe being able to see who LIKED your post (or at least showing a few names plus the number of others).   That seems to be the main priority of many on the forums.

• Administrator
On 10/14/2020 at 4:57 PM, JKK said:

We might be able to improve the quality of newbie posts if you would be willing to stick my post from a year or so ago about how to post coins for inquiry. Hint, hint. Seriously, though, that was the goal: to help new posters present themselves and their coins and questions in the most positive light, and avoid common mistakes. Here it is. It was well received and members had many good suggestions. While it has a WYNTK title, member consensus (with which I concur) was that it would be best stuck in the forum where I posted it, the Newbie forum. If I were also able to edit it still, that would be even more wonderful because now and then something new comes up.

Looks like that post was already in the newbie section but it was not pinned. It is pinned now and you should be able to edit it. Let me know if you have any trouble with that. The permission configurations are a little tricky in this software so I am not always sure if changes will have the desired outcome.

1 hour ago, dena said:

Looks like that post was already in the newbie section but it was not pinned. It is pinned now and you should be able to edit it. Let me know if you have any trouble with that. The permission configurations are a little tricky in this software so I am not always sure if changes will have the desired outcome.

Had no trouble whatsoever. Thank you very much.

1 hour ago, dena said:

You should now have unlimited likes and be able to see who liked your posts. Let me know if that is not working fo you all.

Thank you, Dena.

2 hours ago, dena said:

You should now have unlimited likes and be able to see who liked your posts. Let me know if that is not working fo you all.

Yes ma'am, finally working. Thank you!

On 10/15/2020 at 12:13 AM, Just Bob said:

Bobby (bsshog40) and I, and probably others have reported this several times over the years, and sent questions to "ASK NGC", and nothing has ever been done about it, and no one from NGC has ever responded.

As others have mentioned, I have to log out to see who has responded to any post.

Interestingly, I can see who responds over on the comics forum, even when I am logged in.

Just a moment.  So the "deena" bsshog40 was referring to several weeks ago was in no way meant to intimidate me with residual but still active members of General Augusto Pinochet's secret police,  Direction de Intelligencia National, i.e., the National Intelligence Directorate, popularly known as DINA?  Then who expropriated my image from a PCGS Set Registry and placed it on NGC's before God and everyone else to see prior to or during my "disappearance" from the Forum recently?

On 10/16/2020 at 7:53 AM, dena said:

Thanks so much Dena! (thumbsu:x

Just an update, The VOLLENTEERING IS GOING WELL.. As is the fishing.. All sounds rather biblical huh?

Today I am travelling to a local B&M To Peruse and pursue some Morgans ,while converting the masses.. Thank you in advance for all the well wishes.. 

On 10/14/2020 at 8:54 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

One of the other major problems here is that there is no consistent moderation. Dena has assured me that she is talking to management about having someone browse these boards on a more consistent basis and take action in a more timely manner. The incident in question took 3-4 days to resolve, which on almost any other major forum would have been resolved in minutes (hours, at the most). 

If you want an assessment on censorship, you consult a major violator -- not pi-guy whose forte is recording pre-recorded comments. The moderators on this Forum sit before a board which lights up as soon as an offender's presence is detected.  The monitoring is so up and personal you can detect their hot breath on the nape of your neck (women prefer loooking over one's left shoulder) words are deleted, substituted, an entire page may be frozen and if you check the spelling or meaning of a word, God help you if, with all the distractions, you manage to recall what you've written, the way it was written.

The interruptions continue until every edit/quote/option box is blacked out calculated to prompt your curiosity as to why.  If you fail to investigate, that counts as a WARNING.  You, of course, will not know unless you acquiesce and investigate.  I have never been that curious thus the final admonition which cannot be overlooked: "You are currently restricted from posting content.  This restriction will end on [                    ]. If you no longer remember what it was you did to prompt the restriction, you may peruse past content until almost magically you will be told in "second-coming" type that you are also not permitted to view the very content which may have prompted the censure to begin with.  Now I understand what Groucho Marx meant when he said I wouldn't want to be a part of a club that would have me as a member.

37 minutes ago, dena said:

A reminder seems to be in order.

If you can't play nice, you can't play here.

In the past we have spent time going through threads to remove the hostile posts that ruin a perfectly good topic. Going forward we will just delete entire threads. This doesn't mean that you'll be able to derail someone else's thread to get it shut down. This means that anything you've posted, good or bad will be removed.

If you can't leave your personal hostilities at the door, you can't post here.

I've got a multiplicity of aler-egos to choose from to deal with every occasion best exemplified by Alfred E. Neuman's WHAT, ME WORRY? caricature.  What I am really curious to see is how seasoned veteran, VurtKB responds to the Administrator's Ultimatum: "Be Nice,  or Be Gone!"  I myself dislike feedback intensely.  I would rather drop in unannounced, do my duty, and beat a hasty retreat. It is impossible to like anyone whose views contradictorily embrace an entire spectrum. Anyway, I'd rather be ignored than drawn-and-quartered publicly.  The two, actually three enduring mysteries in life, for me, in no particular are:  How come I am deserving of only a paltry three (3) Warnings; why does my wife love me; and whose got all the highest graded French 20-franc gold roosters presently not in any Sey Registry and to whom should I properly direct my inquiries regarding same?

37 minutes ago, dena said:

In the past we have spent time going through threads to remove the hostile posts that ruin a perfectly good topic. Going forward we will just delete entire threads. This doesn't mean that you'll be able to derail someone else's thread to get it shut down. This means that anything you've posted, good or bad will be removed.

Unless your ultimatum effectively supersedes the Guidelines as set forth by Architecht, what you term a reminder is a revision which is in conflict with both the spirit and letter of various provisions relied on by collectors for some time.

2 hours ago, dena said:

A reminder seems to be in order....If you can't play nice, you can't play here......In the past we have spent time going through threads to remove the hostile posts that ruin a perfectly good topic. Going forward we will just delete entire threads. This doesn't mean that you'll be able to derail someone else's thread to get it shut down. This means that anything you've posted, good or bad will be removed.   If you can't leave your personal hostilities at the door, you can't post here.

(1)  Wait a second Dena....if "going forward we will just delete entire threads" then you WILL be letting troublemakers derail threads.  If a troll hopped onto the Roger Burdette Saint Gaudens Book thread and you delete it, invaluable information is lost to all the innocent parties (and future readers) who can't see it.  This is why I asked about saving as a PDF a thread's content.

(2)  I myself haven't seen anything that would rise to a serious TOS violation in the threads I am active in (admittedly, I can't read everything here).  I think it would be useful that if you see someone violating a TOS...post in the thread (highlight it in Red and quote the offending comments if you delete the original) and state that if a future post or comment violated TOS that a suspension will be forthcoming.

(3)  Let someone know they have crossed the line.  Passions can get high, mostly on coin debates, but if things go off-topic or personal, give them a chance to correct the mistake. 

(3)  Whatever you do, please don't punish innocent posters/readers of these forums.  Deleting active threads or threads with fantastic information can simply not be replicated.  We have some VIPs who graciously donated their time to make fantastic comments (like RWB) and to eliminate their comments would be a crime.

Thanks for considering my views, Dena.  (thumbsu

Edited by GoldFinger1969

4 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

(1)  Wait a second Dena....if "going forward we will just delete entire threads" then you WILL be letting troublemakers derail 

4 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

(1)  If a troll hopped onto the Roger Burdette Saint Gaudens thread...

[I believe a distinction must be made amongst the ne'er-do-wells in our midst.  While more knowledgeable members may beg to differ, the general line-up is hobo, tramp, vagabond, bum, rogues and rascals -- and trolls (a term regarded as a pejorative by some millennial devising logarithms in Nebraska to irritate PayPal users worldwide.  No self-respecting troll would dare tamper with the writings of RWB.]

(3)  Let someone know they have crossed the line.  Passions can get high, mostly on coin debates, but if things go off-topic or personal, give them a chance to correct the mistake. 

[While it may be true as NGC's King Troll I always act with malicious aforethought, and now have scores of Warnings, Suspensions -- and under-handed slights and shots to substantiate my claim, the truth is I would appreciate which of the thousands of slights was anonymously deemed to be the straw that broke the camel's back. To be callously dismissed with the advisory, "You are not permitted to view (or access purportedly objectionable) content is unhelpful. To my (at last count) thirty-six confirmed lgnorers:  if ignoring me makes you a better person, by all means, run with it.  E.O.M.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
mercurial temperament

26 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[While it may be true as NGC's King Troll I always act with malicious aforethought, and now have scores of Warnings, Suspensions -- and under-handed slights and shots to substantiate my claim, the truth is I would appreciate which of the thousands of slights was anonymously deemed to be the straw that broke the camel's back. To be callously dismissed with the advisory, "You are not permitted to view (or access purportedly objectionable) content is unhelpful. To my (at last count) thirty-six confirmed lgnorers:  if ignoring me makes you a better person, by all means, run with it.  E.O.M.

As for me, I don't ignore anybody.

If you are the person at the center of this debate and are simply joking around within a thread I think that's OK.  But just be careful to not cross any line.

We've got some great people posting here and great threads, let's keep it that way !

5 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:
8 hours ago, dena said:

A reminder seems to be in order....If you can't play nice, you can't play here......In the past we have spent time going through threads to remove the hostile posts that ruin a perfectly good topic. Going forward we will just delete entire threads. This doesn't mean that you'll be able to derail someone else's thread to get it shut down. This means that anything you've posted, good or bad will be removed.   If you can't leave your personal hostilities at the door, you can't post here.

(1)  Wait a second Dena....if "going forward we will just delete entire threads" then you WILL be letting troublemakers derail threads.  If a troll hopped onto the Roger Burdette Saint Gaudens Book thread and you delete it, invaluable information is lost to all the innocent parties (and future readers) who can't see it.  This is why I asked about saving as a PDF a thread's content.

(2)  I myself haven't seen anything that would rise to a serious TOS violation in the threads I am active in (admittedly, I can't read everything here).  I think it would be useful that if you see someone violating a TOS...post in the thread (highlight it in Red and quote the offending comments if you delete the original) and state that if a future post or comment violated TOS that a suspension will be forthcoming.

(3)  Whatever you do, please don't punish innocent posters/readers of these forums.  Deleting active threads or threads with fantastic information can simply not be replicated.  We have some VIPs who graciously donated their time to make fantastic comments (like RWB) and to eliminate their comments would be a crime.

Thanks for considering my views, Dena.  (thumbsu

I don't think this is what Dena has in mind.  I think she means all of the offending persons posts will be removed, when derailing someone's thread.

On 10/13/2020 at 8:58 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

Poofing because I'm critical against an NGC decision is less preferred. 

Poofing because a member used extremely inappropriate language and imagery including Nazi memes and KKK slander against me is quite desired. 

Hopefully, some time before I pass, someone will provide me with the scientific evidence needed to correlate indiscriminate flatulence, or poofing, as it is referred to in the intricate world of numismatics, with a hobby intrinsically above reproach and those whose thoughts fail to hew to the party line.  

If censorship fails to achieve its desired chilling effect, and suspensions, probations, banishments, paroles and pardons prove insufficient, the powers that be can entertain the thought of bloodlust and reinstate drawing-and-quartering.  All in favor, say Aye!

On 11/4/2020 at 11:52 AM, dena said:

Pretty well self explanatory.

Edited by MorganMan

On 11/8/2020 at 7:53 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Hopefully, some time before I pass, someone will provide me with the scientific evidence needed to correlate indiscriminate flatulence, or poofing, as it is referred to in the intricate world of numismatics, with a hobby intrinsically above reproach and those whose thoughts fail to hew to the party line.  

If censorship fails to achieve its desired chilling effect, and suspensions, probations, banishments, paroles and pardons prove insufficient, the powers that be can entertain the thought of bloodlust and reinstate drawing-and-quartering.  All in favor, say Aye!

Aye !

On 10/13/2020 at 10:48 AM, dena said:

It seems that some need a reminder of the guidelines accepted when creating an account here. Recently there has been an uptick in the number of unacceptable posts. As a result, there will be greater scrutiny of the material posted here.

In summary, the following will not be tolerated:

Political posts

Mud Slinging

Trolling

Baiting

Masking

Inappropriate references (analogies, etc.) to significantly emotional topics such as Nazis, slavery, etc.

Threads started explicitly to bash other members

Hi-jacking of other people's threads in a way that stifles the originally intended topic

Disrespect

The disrespect exhibited in recent posts is overshadowing all the positive and valuable content being posted here and is creating a climate of hostility. It is particularly disappointing to see the way in which new members and collectors are being treated. Using words like ignorant and stupid is not the way to educate and welcome the well intentioned folks making an effort to embrace this community.

It stops now.

I can finally take this bleeping mask off!!! Thanks dena!!