• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FUN Show in January

123 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Is it true we have never cured a disease caused by a virus ?  If so, then what kind are cured -- those caused by bacteria or germs ?

I've read something to that effect.  It is different from getting a vaccine that protects you for life.   

22 minutes ago, Insider said:

I've read something to that effect.  It is different from getting a vaccine that protects you for life.   

Well, we've never seen so many companies working on vaccines and treatments for 1 disease (MAYBE AIDs in the 1980's)....should be some good news next few months.  And my understanding is a vaccine need only be 50% effective and safe to make a difference (or at least previous vaccines against diseases).

Definition of a troll:   Someone who asks many pointed questions about a member's posted :blahblah::blahblah: :blahblah: that are never answered.  

Opinion posts are easy to make.  Reading the opinion of others is how we learn new things.  That's why I'd rather read posts from members who disagree with me!  This gets tedious at times because "feelings" don't cancel out facts.  Unfortunately, the amount of ignorance in this country is exacerbated by the Press. 

There are certain things that a person will never change like the belief in a "God" or the hatred of toned coins.  There are other beliefs that do change with true, verifiable facts like the earth flat or I have a double die coin.  It took me a few years as a professional to learn that some coins were actually DOUBLED die specimens. :facepalm:

23 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

Gawd how I hate to get into this but....  I live in a very small Pennsylvania town (pop 9000+)  and our local newspaper 'claims' we have 152 cases of the Virus.  Last week they had to evacuate our local hospital due to a fire that caused toxic smoke.  All 9, that's right folks, nine patients were evacuated and none were reported to have the Virus.  The question on everyone's minds here is:  "Where are these 152 cases?"  We aren't big enough to have a testing station - I guess maybe they can at the hospital.  It's quite a mystery to us.

I will take an educated guess where your 152 cases are, Alex. Many, if not most, of them are probably residents of group living situations whose last known PREVIOUS address was in your county. What kind? Glad you asked. It could be nursing homes, personal care homes, even prisons. So don't necessarily go hunting door to door. They're not there.

23 hours ago, brg5658 said:

Possibly the most fatalistic philosophy I have ever heard... I guess all of medicine should just stop, and we should let "Mother Nature" take her course? Dumb. And, yet another straw-man argument. 

I'm also washing my hands of this thread.  It has turned into a personal thread to spout mis-information from @Insider.  Adios troll. (tsk)

Wellll, there are several religious organizations who believe precisely this, most notably the Church of Christ Scientist.

2 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Well, we've never seen so many companies working on vaccines and treatments for 1 disease (MAYBE AIDs in the 1980's)....should be some good news next few months.  And my understanding is a vaccine need only be 50% effective and safe to make a difference (or at least previous vaccines against diseases).

Four companies working on it.  Fastest ever mobilization ever.  The businessman running our country has already set up distribution, and the vaccines are being produced at this minute in case one of them works.  Trials have been temporarily stopped on two of them to find out why there were averse effects on a test subject.  You will not read any of this in the "American Press" so I guess the "40-something-know-it-all-in their-own-mind-Ex-Perts" will call this just some conspiracy theory.  :whistle:  

A Troll posts this: "Plagues are a part of our life.  It's "Mother Nature's" way of culling the herd."

What would be an example of a response to this statement from a poorly educated or illiterate person?    

1. OMG, there is no Mother Nature! :hi:

2. I guess all of medicine should just stop! :facepalm:

3. What's a plague? (shrug)

4. Are you calling us cows? :devil:

Edited by Insider

The TOPIC was not coins, it was the fact that one major coin show, in January, was going to try to hold it despite what the world looks like in October. I salute them. We by now all know that the World Health Organization now says lockdowns are not a good idea absent a major spike and stresses on healthcare systems. We also now know that a COVID outcome is HIGHLY dependent on what kind of healthcare provider you have access to. It's NOT very random. Sicker people before the infection die in fairly high numbers. But fat old Presidents come through relatively unscathed, as do U.S. Senators, and even a few Governors and State Legislators. Most only ever have very minor symptoms. Why? Because they both do watch their health and have professionals to turn to at a moment's notice. If you do NOT have those things, don't come to Orlando in January, simple. I, and many others, do and we will. I expect to have at least one COVID vaccine in my system well before F.U.N., and I will be well armed (mouthed?) with my Phillies pinstripe, Alabama Crimson Tide, and Penn State Nittany Lions masks, and my 12 daily prescription medications.

I WILL NOT let this virus keep me from any of my next four major trips; only human i-d-I-o-t-s can do that. I'm moving to Alabama in November, going to F.U.N. in January, to ANA Phoenix in March, and to Scotland and England in May. Sit around cowering in fear and refusing to take a vaccine if that floats your particular boat. What you don't get to do is tell me to act like you do.

By the way, all vaccines against ANY virus ever are, are artificial chemicals to trigger your body's immune response. The ONLY way any virus ever gets "beaten" is by herd immunity, and that's true whether that immunity happens naturally, or accelerated by means of a vaccine. I'll take either path, and frankly, I don't have a strong preference for one over the other.

Edited by VKurtB

26 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

could be nursing homes, personal care homes, even prisons.

Right you are.  I didn't think about those places; thanks.

31 minutes ago, Insider said:

Definition of a troll:   Someone who asks many pointed questions about a member's posted :blahblah::blahblah: :blahblah: that are never answered.  Opinion posts are easy to make.  Reading the opinion of others is how we learn new things.  That's why I'd rather read posts from members who disagree with me!  This gets tedious at times because "feelings" don't cancel out facts.  Unfortunately, the amount of ignorance in this country is exacerbated by the Press. There are certain things that a person will never change like the belief in a "God" or the hatred of toned coins.  There are other beliefs that do change with true, verifiable facts like the earth flat or I have a double die coin.  It took me a few years as a professional to learn that some coins were actually DOUBLED die specimens. 

Excellent post....I would have LIKED it, but I used up my daily quota already !!! :mad:

Edited by GoldFinger1969

By the way, all advocates, there is no such thing as "the Science". It's a made up thing used for political advantage. Science is an inherently adversarial process.

23 minutes ago, Insider said:

Four companies working on it.  Fastest ever mobilization ever.  The businessman running our country has already set up distribution, and the vaccines are being produced at this minute in case one of them works.  Trials have been temporarily stopped on two of them to find out why there were averse effects on a test subject.  You will not read any of this in the "American Press" so I guess the "40-something-know-it-all-in their-own-mind-Ex-Perts" will call this just some conspiracy theory.  :whistle:  

I think it's more than 4, Insider.  This article says 23.  Some are spending more $$$ than others and some probably are only in Phase 1 and hope to get a bigger company to buy them and/or pay for the future trials and testing.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/these-nine-companies-are-working-on-coronavirus-treatments-or-vaccines-heres-where-things-stand-2020-03-06

18 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

The TOPIC was not coins, it was the fact that one major coin show, in January, was going to try to hold it despite what the world looks like in October. I salute them. We by now all know that the World Health Organization now says lockdowns are not a good idea absent a major spike and stresses on healthcare systems. We also now know that a COVID outcome is HIGHLY dependent on what kind of healthcare provider you have access to. It's NOT very random. Sicker people before the infection die in fairly high numbers. But fat old Presidents come through relatively unscathed, as do U.S. Senators, and even a few Governors and State Legislators. Most only ever have very minor symptoms. Why? Because they both do watch their health and have professionals to turn to at a moment's notice. If you do NOT have those things, don't come to Orlando in January, simple. I, and many others, do and we will. I expect to have at least one COVID vaccine in my system well before F.U.N., and I will be well armed (mouthed?) with my Phillies pinstripe, Alabama Crimson Tide, and Penn State Nittany Lions masks, and my 12 daily prescription medications. I WILL NOT let this virus keep me from any of my next four major trips; only human i-d-I-o-t-s can do that. I'm moving to Alabama in November, going to F.U.N. in January, to ANA Phoenix in March, and to Scotland and England in May. Sit around cowering in fear and refusing to take a vaccine if that floats your particular boat. What you don't get to do is tell me to act like you do.

Thumbs Up, Kurt....I can't even get my condo to open up the damn Clubhouse, which is used by MAYBE 3-4 people....A WEEK !!!  Aside from party bookings, I am usually the ONLY person there on the weekends, reading BARRON'S and watching movies and sports on the wall-mounted 70" HDTV.  Sometimes 2 people come in to shoot pool or play ping-pong but that's it.  We have electronic fobs that record entrances and I'll bet pre-Virus that no more than 4-6 weekly entrances happened, with 1 or 2 people entering at a time.  For about 1 hour on average (myself excluded, since I stay there all day Saturdays and most of Sunday through the football games).  With their own big screen TV's, there's no need to access a Clubhouse like there was 15-20 years ago. 

The DOH and county (I'm in NYS) have put such burdensome requirements we'd need a staff of 2-3 to be on patrol 18 hours a day.  Freakin' ridiculous.  Have their been any notable conventions since March/April ?  Any kind....I guess it depends on your state.  NYS just won't allow mass gatherings.  My astronomy club's annual space show and re-scheduled date both got shot down this year. 

Hopefully FUN is a success.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Mister Putin say, "Vee dunt doo no Phase Tree testink. Vaccine is redy venn vee say it iss."

1 hour ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I think it's more than 4, Insider.  This article says 23.  Some are spending more $$$ than others and some probably are only in Phase 1 and hope to get a bigger company to buy them and/or pay for the future trials and testing.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/these-nine-companies-are-working-on-coronavirus-treatments-or-vaccines-heres-where-things-stand-2020-03-06

Thanks for the correction.  I heard there were only four in this country and a government program is covering the costs of their research and trials.

25 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

I am looking forward to this show, finally a show in my backyard.

I hear ya', but then did someone force your particular backyard on you? Having a major ANA show requires multitudes of volunteers, and the southwest has a spotty reputation for producing those, outside of the Albuquerque club. The vest wearers will be big in Phoenix, even from a state away. I'll be in ANA blue, and coming from almost 2,000 miles away to work for the ANA, gratis. We do what we can.

Edited by VKurtB

30 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I hear ya', but then did someone force your particular backyard on you? Having a major ANA show requires multitudes of volunteers, and the southwest has a spotty reputation for producing those, outside of the Albuquerque club. The vest wearers will be big in Phoenix, even from a state away. I'll be in ANA blue, and coming from almost 2,000 miles away to work for the ANA, gratis. We do what we can.

Yes I forced my backyard on me.  I hate humidity so the south and east are out.  I cannot deal with the politics of the left so west coast is out.   I don't like to live in snow and ice so the north is out, (plus many have the politics issue too).  I don't like island fever so HI is out.  That leaves AZ, yea its hot but I have a swimming pool.  :grin:  As to volunteers the Phx Thunderbirds have no problem hosting the Phx Open (now the Waste Management Open) utilizing thousands of volunteers.

1 minute ago, Coinbuf said:

Yes I forced my backyard on me.  I hate humidity so the south and east are out.  I cannot deal with the politics of the left so west coast is out.   I don't like to live in snow and ice so the north is out, (plus many have the politics issue too).  I don't like island fever so HI is out.  That leaves AZ, yea its hot but I have a swimming pool.  :grin:  As to volunteers the Phx Thunderbirds have no problem hosting the Phx Open (now the Waste Management Open) utilizing thousands of volunteers.

That's nice, but coin show volunteers and golf tourney volunteers aren't the same species. How are coin clubs doing lately in AZ? That's the key. If they're good, they need to alert the ANA.

I've made the commitment to move from James Carville's ersatz Alabama (central PA) to the real deal. I'll be voting in this swing state first, though. :roflmao:

Just now, VKurtB said:

That's nice, but coin show volunteers and golf tourney volunteers aren't the same species. How are coin clubs doing lately in AZ? That's the key. If they're good, they need to alert the ANA.

I've made the commitment to move from James Carville's ersatz Alabama (central PA) to the real deal. I'll be voting in this swing state first, though. :roflmao:

I collect coins and play golf as do many collectors in AZ, many golfers are 60+ the same demographic as collectors.  I don't know how the area coin clubs are doing as I'm not a member.

1 minute ago, Coinbuf said:

I collect coins and play golf as do many collectors in AZ, many golfers are 60+ the same demographic as collectors.  I don't know how the area coin clubs are doing as I'm not a member.

I can't fit coins and golf into one life. Either alone is challenge enough.

7 hours ago, VKurtB said:

The TOPIC was not coins, it was the fact that one major coin show, in January, was going to try to hold it despite what the world looks like in October. I salute them. We by now all know that the World Health Organization now says lockdowns are not a good idea absent a major spike and stresses on healthcare systems. We also now know that a COVID outcome is HIGHLY dependent on what kind of healthcare provider you have access to. It's NOT very random. Sicker people before the infection die in fairly high numbers. But fat old Presidents come through relatively unscathed, as do U.S. Senators, and even a few Governors and State Legislators. Most only ever have very minor symptoms. Why? Because they both do watch their health and have professionals to turn to at a moment's notice. If you do NOT have those things, don't come to Orlando in January, simple. I, and many others, do and we will. I expect to have at least one COVID vaccine in my system well before F.U.N., and I will be well armed (mouthed?) with my Phillies pinstripe, Alabama Crimson Tide, and Penn State Nittany Lions masks, and my 12 daily prescription medications.

I WILL NOT let this virus keep me from any of my next four major trips; only human i-d-I-o-t-s can do that. I'm moving to Alabama in November, going to F.U.N. in January, to ANA Phoenix in March, and to Scotland and England in May. Sit around cowering in fear and refusing to take a vaccine if that floats your particular boat. What you don't get to do is tell me to act like you do.

By the way, all vaccines against ANY virus ever are, are artificial chemicals to trigger your body's immune response. The ONLY way any virus ever gets "beaten" is by herd immunity, and that's true whether that immunity happens naturally, or accelerated by means of a vaccine. I'll take either path, and frankly, I don't have a strong preference for one over the other.

I would not recommend going if you are over 80, over weight, diabetic, smoke, or have other health issues. If not, when will you continue on with your life?

5 minutes ago, e1cnr said:

I would not recommend going if you are over 80, over weight, diabetic, smoke, or have other health issues. If not, when will you continue on with your life?

I’m now slightly overweight, with a non-insulin-dependent case of Type II diabetes, and I’m 65, do not smoke, and my Vitamin D serum level is off the chart high. I have health insurance on par with anyone’s, and as of this moment, Medicare is not even involved at all. It may be by the time FUN rolls around, but maybe not. 

6 hours ago, Insider said:

Thanks for the correction.  I heard there were only four in this country and a government program is covering the costs of their research and trials.

The goodwill and public thanks that would result from a company having a Magic Bullet are worth more than the profits from the drugs themselves.  

On 10/13/2020 at 12:35 PM, e1cnr said:

I hope to go and sign up for the intermediate grading class

I just got a call they cancelled the 2 day grading seminar I signed up for. Now I am not sure if I will go, maybe summer FUN.

On 11/30/2020 at 5:01 PM, e1cnr said:

I just got a call they cancelled the 2 day grading seminar I signed up for. Now I am not sure if I will go, maybe summer FUN.

I was just sick, but no Covid-19 (tested negative with the nasal swab).  Whatever the hell I had, it gave me a high fever and absolutely NO ENERGY for 3+ days.  I've had the Flu before but never like this.  I was pretty sure I had C-19.

Agreed, Summer FUN or FUN 2022.

37 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I was just sick, but no Covid-19 (tested negative with the nasal swab).  Whatever the hell I had, it gave me a high fever and absolutely NO ENERGY for 3+ days.  I've had the Flu before but never like this.  I was pretty sure I had C-19.

Sorry to hear that, those symptoms sure do sound like most that I have heard for c19, its always possible that you had a false neg test too.  I'm still hoping that the ANA in Phx will be a go but its coming up quickly and we still have very little info on the vaccine.

8 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I done that about 3 weeks ago. Had it for a week. My nose run like a sugar tree also. My test came back negative as well. 

On 10/12/2020 at 6:42 PM, Insider said:

NUTS!  There was no science on the Chinese virus as all the flip flops proved.  We are learning as we go.

BTW, you picked a terrible example to try to make your case.  FL has done EXTREMELY WELL considering most of our population :preach: is in the target age.  I'll ask this question again (third time) and we may get more than 4-5 deaths!

Does any member know any one who died from the virus?   Your friend of a friend's auntie's daughter's neighbor's third cousin with diabetes QUALIFIES AS A YES. :whistle:

Yes, I know people that died from the virus. Sad but true. I too know people hospitalised with the virus that were lucky enough to survive. Also, while the WHO might have issues with lockdown, they do not favour large meetings. I wish all of you good luck, but I pass. I want to be sure I do not get sick, or pass the virus to someone else. The idea of making someone else frightens me.