• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FUN Show in January

123 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Insider said:

We have several very effective treatments right now.  As for a vaccine, don't hold your breath.

BTW, the masks most of us are forced to wear DO NOT KEEP VIRUS PARTICLES OUT!   If the press in this country were doing its job - many things we think we know would be much different.  

There are no effective treatments for COVID-19.  

4 minutes ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

It's been 6 months, man.  How have you not heard already that there usage is not to keep particles out of the air you breathe in?  They're to prevent particles from spreading freely from the exhausted breath of a carrier.

We are to wear them for both cases.  And the flaw in your argument is VERY OBVIOUS to anyone who cares to think about it.  if the virus can get through most types of masks when you breath in...  wait for it, wait for it...

12 hours ago, RWB said:

You are looking for excuses to avoid doing what are best practices acknowledged world wide. That is false, foolish, and demonstrates a lack of concern for others. Also, don't bother with the phony "personal freedom" dodge - EVERY right comes with responsibility, and protecting all supersedes your petty and selfish "right" to possibly spread disease. ("Typhoid Mary" couldn't grasp this, either, so you're in deadly infectious company.) The transmission rates reported in parts of Texas last month, for example, were approximately 75% lower in jurisdictions that encouraged distancing, masks, and hand washing -- even for the "unwashed masses." Europe controlled the virus far better than the US as a whole through the same very simple protections.  Similar results are reported by the CDC in parts of FL, GA, AL, CA and other states. In Virginia, the northern counties have consistently had much lower rates of infection than other areas where populations have been less consciousness.

As for so-called "flip flops" that is yet another sign of self-serving ignorance and lack of rational thought. Science, as opposed to "dogma," is built on measurable data. Initial recommendations will normally be less focused and effective than those made after more data is collected and analyzed. After a couple of months (Jan-early Mar) the data from China and other infection loci demonstrated increasing confidence that distance, masks, and hand washing were very effective in reducing (but not totally preventing) community transmission.

The "herd immunity" touted by ignorant dogmatists is not effective except when isolated populations reach approximately 75-80% immunity. For the USA, that's about 272 million who have survived, and 5.5+ million who have died. We've seen the results of lower immunity levels in outbreaks of measles and other "childhood" diseases originating in multiple closed communities where vaccination rates are below 75%; the spread is rapid and easily caught by thousands who were deliberately victimized by anti-vaccine groups.

The kind of perverse stupidity expressed in your post is why there is presently no nation-wide "light at the end of the tunnel" except an approach freight train. The people about to get run over by ignorance and dogma are middle and lower wage people -- the same ones who perform much of the national consumer-goods production, food production and a host of basic necessary services that the rest of us chickens take for granted. These wage earners do not have large stores of cash or assets, and an increasing proportion are running on financial fumes with little hope in sight.

Let's be brutally honest. The economy cannot fully recover until the CoVID-19 virus is under control and states and communities can respond quickly to small outbreaks. No amount of hope, prayer, invocation, promise, dogma or anything else can change that - and unless a very effective vaccine becomes available to a very large part of the population, the most effective means we have to reduce spread are -- now say it all together: "Distance, Mask, and Wash!"

Enough, Insider.

I'm going to wash my hands of this.

:)

Most succinct and correct post I have read on the subject in this thread and in the other "poofed" thread.  This country is saddled by conspiracy theories and weekend "scientists" who know nothing about public health or infectious diseases.  The rampant selfishness is profound.

Thank you @RWB for your post.

5 minutes ago, Insider said:

We are to wear them for both cases.  And the flaw in your argument is VERY OBVIOUS to anyone who cares to think about it.  if the virus can get through most types of masks when you breath in...  wait for it, wait for it...

COVID is largely spread by respiratory droplets (sneezing, coughing), and what @CRAWTOMATIC said is 100% true.

Stop creating straw man arguments and admit your ignorance.  Seriously - any time someone cites or gives FACTS your deflect to your normal conspiracy theory BS.

7 minutes ago, Insider said:

We're off topic from the original post and I don't want to debate it much.  But using a coin analogy, when a coin is struck through grease some, or most, of the details are lost but not all of them.  That's how a mask works to slow the spread of a virus.  The infected carrier's breath is the die, the mask is the grease, and the air in front of them is the coin.

Be safe, buddy.

8 minutes ago, Insider said:

:pullhair: LOL.  In CNN nonsense we Trust; and God didn't make little green apples either.  

No, in science I trust. 

I read about 30-40 scientific articles per day on COVID.  The literature is immense, and largely consistent - there is NO EFFECTIVE TREATMENT FOR COVID.  That is a FACT.

Stop deflecting your ignorance and conspiracy theories on others.  Are you well read on the COVID literature?  Are you working in medical research and know how to interpret that literature? 

Why must you be so divisive and profoundly/aggressively contrarian?  The facts are clear and accepted at this time - whether you like them or not.

Edited by brg5658
typo

6 minutes ago, brg5658 said:

To stay on topic, I got this cool token at FUN 2015 in Orlando:

1860_Lovett_Clay-Jackson_Mule_Silver-pro

This is cool.  I love the colors.  

12 hours ago, RWB said:

You are looking for excuses to avoid doing what are best practices acknowledged world wide. That is false, foolish, and demonstrates a lack of concern for others. Also, don't bother with the phony "personal freedom" dodge - EVERY right comes with responsibility, and protecting all supersedes your petty and selfish "right" to possibly spread disease. ("Typhoid Mary" couldn't grasp this, either, so you're in deadly infectious company.) The transmission rates reported in parts of Texas last month, for example, were approximately 75% lower in jurisdictions that encouraged distancing, masks, and hand washing -- even for the "unwashed masses." Europe controlled the virus far better than the US as a whole through the same very simple protections.  Similar results are reported by the CDC in parts of FL, GA, AL, CA and other states. In Virginia, the northern counties have consistently had much lower rates of infection than other areas where populations have been less consciousness.

As for so-called "flip flops" that is yet another sign of self-serving ignorance and lack of rational thought. Science, as opposed to "dogma," is built on measurable data. Initial recommendations will normally be less focused and effective than those made after more data is collected and analyzed. After a couple of months (Jan-early Mar) the data from China and other infection loci demonstrated increasing confidence that distance, masks, and hand washing were very effective in reducing (but not totally preventing) community transmission.

The "herd immunity" touted by ignorant dogmatists is not effective except when isolated populations reach approximately 75-80% immunity. For the USA, that's about 272 million who have survived, and 5.5+ million who have died. We've seen the results of lower immunity levels in outbreaks of measles and other "childhood" diseases originating in multiple closed communities where vaccination rates are below 75%; the spread is rapid and easily caught by thousands who were deliberately victimized by anti-vaccine groups.

The kind of perverse stupidity expressed in your post is why there is presently no nation-wide "light at the end of the tunnel" except an approach freight train. The people about to get run over by ignorance and dogma are middle and lower wage people -- the same ones who perform much of the national consumer-goods production, food production and a host of basic necessary services that the rest of us chickens take for granted. These wage earners do not have large stores of cash or assets, and an increasing proportion are running on financial fumes with little hope in sight.

Let's be brutally honest. The economy cannot fully recover until the CoVID-19 virus is under control and states and communities can respond quickly to small outbreaks. No amount of hope, prayer, invocation, promise, dogma or anything else can change that - and unless a very effective vaccine becomes available to a very large part of the population, the most effective means we have to reduce spread are -- now say it all together: "Distance, Mask, and Wash!"

Enough, Insider.

:)

I'll reply to this later as your post contains too much Kool-Aid. Too bad you checked out.  :(

16 hours ago, Insider said:

Does any member know any one who died from the virus?   Your friend of a friend's auntie's daughter's neighbor's third cousin with diabetes QUALIFIES AS A YES. :whistle:

Gawd how I hate to get into this but....  I live in a very small Pennsylvania town (pop 9000+)  and our local newspaper 'claims' we have 152 cases of the Virus.  Last week they had to evacuate our local hospital due to a fire that caused toxic smoke.  All 9, that's right folks, nine patients were evacuated and none were reported to have the Virus.  The question on everyone's minds here is:  "Where are these 152 cases?"  We aren't big enough to have a testing station - I guess maybe they can at the hospital.  It's quite a mystery to us.

2 minutes ago, Insider said:

I'll reply to this later as your post contains too much Kool-Aid. Too bad you checked out.  :(

Your posts always consist mostly of Kool-Aid.  Maybe it's the generic/conspiracy-theory brand of Kool-Aid though.  At least @RWB is drinking the factual flavor.

29 minutes ago, brg5658 said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to convey here, but the WHO advises all persons to wear masks.  The economic lockdown opinion was modified, but that's what intelligent people do - change opinions when presented with evidence to do so.  The problem is that people think masks and social distancing infringe on their personal rights in some way.  Thus, people (particularly in the USA) don't wear masks consistently, and are not practicing social distancing.

The verbatim WHO recommendations are:  

• Maintain at least a 1-metre [~3 feet] distance between yourself and others to reduce your risk of infection when they cough, sneeze or speak. Maintain an even greater distance between yourself and others when indoors. The further away, the better.
  • Make wearing a mask a normal part of being around other people.

If you're going to FUN in Florida in January, I'd strongly advise wearing a mask at ALL times.  Not for yourself, but others.  If everyone wears a mask, the spread of COVID-19 is greatly decreased.  

This is NOT a question of personal rights so don't fog up the issue.  This is about what you posted.  All the flip-flops, that occurred as we learned more about the virus.  That's the way "science" works. 

BTW, since you get your news from the TV, did you see all the protests.  I have not heard about a massive increase in BLM or Antifa deaths.  Guess I'm uninformed. 

Furthermore, plagues are a part of our life.  It's Mother Nature's way of culling the herd.   As I wrote before, most humans will eventually test positive.  While that is happening, some will die.     

1 minute ago, Insider said:

...plagues are a part of our life.  It's Mother Nature's way of culling the herd.   As I wrote before, most humans will eventually test positive.  While that is happening, some will die.     

Possibly the most fatalistic philosophy I have ever heard... I guess all of medicine should just stop, and we should let "Mother Nature" take her course? Dumb. And, yet another straw-man argument. 

I'm also washing my hands of this thread.  It has turned into a personal thread to spout mis-information from @Insider.  Adios troll. (tsk)

6 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Gawd how I hate to get into this but....  I live in a very small Pennsylvania town (pop 9000+)  and our local newspaper 'claims' we have 152 cases of the Virus.  Last week they had to evacuate our local hospital due to a fire that caused toxic smoke.  All 9, that's right folks, nine patients were evacuated and none were reported to have the Virus.  The question on everyone's minds here is:  "Where are these 152 cases?"  We aren't big enough to have a testing station - I guess maybe they can at the hospital.  It's quite a mystery to us.

Again, there are MILLIONS of cases!   I don't know anyone who has tested positive but I'll guarantee that many of the people I interact with - masks and all - are positive.  Sooner or later you and I are going to get it.    

5 minutes ago, brg5658 said:

Possibly the most fatalistic philosophy I have ever heard... I guess all of medicine should just stop, and we should let "Mother Nature" take her course? Dumb. And, yet another straw-man argument. 

I'm also washing my hands of this thread.  It has turned into a personal thread to spout mis-information from @Insider.  Adios troll. (tsk)

Hey genius.  You have never answered one of my direct questions - EVER

I realize you young fellas were not properly educated in the simple art of discussion so I'll try again.  Please tell all of us what you disagree with in my post.  Otherwise, goodbye.  :(  :

PS  Get a hold of the NYT today: "Experts confident the Pandemic will be over sooner than expected."    WHO, says lockdown was probably not the right thing to do.   Now why do you think the NYT is publishing this?  

Edited by Insider

2 hours ago, Moxie15 said:

i hope those who go have a great time. I have fond memories of the times I went. 

If the dealers are cut back...if your friends and others don't show.....and if there are burdensome procedures to access the bourse and see items from dealers....it's going to be self-defeating.

Again, it starts with the dealers.   If they suffer a critical dropoff -- 20% ?  30% ?  50% ? -- can they put the show on from a financial perspective ?    Maybe OCCC has cut their rental prices, I have no idea, but I have to believe if the COST structure is the same as 2020 but enough dealers (and attendees) don't show, it won't work $$$-wise.

18 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

If the dealers are cut back...if your friends and others don't show.....and if there are burdensome procedures to access the bourse and see items from dealers....it's going to be self-defeating.

Again, it starts with the dealers.   If they suffer a critical dropoff -- 20% ?  30% ?  50% ? -- can they put the show on from a financial perspective ?    Maybe OCCC has cut their rental prices, I have no idea, but I have to believe if the COST structure is the same as 2020 but enough dealers (and attendees) don't show, it won't work $$$-wise.

ITs just too early to say at this point in time, far too many what-if's that can happen in the coming month or two.  If there is a large spike in cases throughout FL, new local or federal restrictions, even the outcome of the election could have an influence.  For those that have plans simply be prepared to adjust if needed and if the show is a go I hope all that go have a fantastic show on both sides of the table.

6 hours ago, brg5658 said:

Most succinct and correct post I have read on the subject in this thread and in the other "poofed" thread.  This country is saddled by conspiracy theories and weekend "scientists" who know nothing about public health or infectious diseases.  The rampant selfishness is profound.

Thank you @RWB for your post.

OK, still no direct answer my direct question.  Let's try another:

Please tell all of us what exact conspiracy you believe is going on.  I have not heard any sane person anywhere mention that there is a conspiracy related to what we are writing about.  Are masks a conspiracy?  Is the lock down a conspiracy?  Is the fact that deaths are attributed to the virus that should not have a conspiracy?  

Wait!  Is any opinion that you don't agree with a conspiracy?  OMG, my friends were correct after all.  Discussing something with a 40-something is like discussing something with a twenty-something - only more painful as the older person should be more informed.   

Edited by Insider

My reply to Roger's post:  "You are looking for excuses to avoid doing what are best practices acknowledged world wide [Unfortunately, you have mad a false claim about me.  I am following all the recommended practices although I do not agree with some of them]. That is false, foolish, and demonstrates a lack of concern for others.[Get off your soapbox.  You need a new Crystal Ball.  Please see my comment above]  Also, don't bother with the phony "personal freedom" dodge [???? I'm unaware that I used that one] - EVERY right [Exactly what "RIGHT" in the constitution are you MAKING UP?  Since there is no "right" to healthcare or to being protected from "Typhoid Mary types"  your personal feelings are just that.  And we all have 'em]  comes with responsibility, and protecting all supersedes your petty and selfish "right" to possibly spread disease. ("Typhoid Mary" couldn't grasp this, either, so you're in deadly infectious company.) The transmission rates reported in parts of Texas last month, for example, were approximately 75% lower in jurisdictions that encouraged distancing, masks, and hand washing -- even for the "unwashed masses." Europe controlled the virus far better than the US as a whole through the same very simple protections.  Similar results are reported by the CDC in parts of FL, GA, AL, CA and other states. In Virginia, the northern counties have consistently had much lower rates of infection than other areas where populations have been less consciousness.[No one can argue with this so what's the point?  Going out into a cave in the desert works too]

As for so-called "flip flops" that is yet another sign of self-serving ignorance {You call it ignorance. Either the flips happened - THEY DID or they did not happen.  As more information came out, different CHANGES (flip flops) were recommended. So who is ignorant?]  I call you and lack of rational thought. Science, as opposed to "dogma," is built on measurable data. Initial recommendations will normally be less focused and effective than those made after more data is collected and analyzed. After a couple of months (Jan-early Mar) the data from China and other infection loci demonstrated increasing confidence that distance, masks, and hand washing were very effective in reducing (but not totally preventing) community transmission. [Apparently, you are stuck on masks, distancing, etc.  Aren't you aware that immediately after the outbreak in China, their government bought up much of the available PPE in the world and shut down the city while letting infected folks continue to leave China to the Western countries?]

The "herd immunity" touted by ignorant dogmatists [with degrees in medicine] is not effective except when isolated populations reach approximately 75-80% immunity. For the USA, that's about 272 million who have survived, and 5.5+ million who have died. We've seen the results of lower immunity levels in outbreaks of measles and other "childhood" diseases originating in multiple closed communities where vaccination rates are below 75%; the spread is rapid and easily caught by thousands who were deliberately victimized by anti-vaccine groups. [Blah, blah, blah, and after all those numbers the net result is the population is purged and the "herd" becomes immune.  Somehow that sounds like the nature of things all thru time for human populations.  Oh the "dogma" of it all.]  

The kind of perverse stupidity expressed in your post is why there is presently no nation-wide "light at the end of the tunnel" except an approach freight train. [Did you read the NYT today.  That liberal "rag" disagrees with you] The people about to get run over by ignorance and dogma are middle and lower wage people -- the same ones who perform much of the national consumer-goods production, food production and a host of basic necessary services that the rest of us chickens take for granted. These wage earners do not have large stores of cash or assets, and an increasing proportion are running on financial fumes with little hope in sight. [And that is the perfect argument for why the world should not have been shut down in the way it was. We have destroyed small and large business, large cities like NY, and become a country relying on government handouts.]

Let's be brutally honest. The economy cannot fully recover until the CoVID-19 virus is under control [You mean under control like the yearly flu epidemics?  Well, the virus and it's mutant strains to come is not going to go away - YET, the economy will recover as soon as the governors of several large states take the boot off the necks of their citizens in an attempt to change the political landscape in November] and states and communities can respond quickly to small outbreaks. No amount of hope, prayer, invocation, promise, dogma or anything else can change that - and unless a very effective vaccine becomes available to a very large part of the population, the most effective means we have to reduce spread are -- now say it all together: "Distance, Mask, and Wash!" [...and open up the country for coin shows!]

Enough, Insider.

PS.  It looks like I disagreed with you very little after all.

On 10/12/2020 at 4:30 PM, RWB said:

Considering the dogmatic rejection of science by Florida State officials, one should not expect much improvement - if not regression - by January. That approach serves to lengthen the term and spread of the virus, which creates greater harm to businesses and individuals.

Dear Mark,

This nonsense concerning one of the best reactions to the virus by a state was the 6th post in my discussion about the FUN Show.  While I consider Roger a friend/mentor and I appreciate his comments rather than the occasional lame attempts at humor, your suggestion may be better placed. 

2 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

You said you wanted to improve this (coin) forum. All of your posts on COVID are having the opposite effect. Please stick to coins.

Well he made it onto my ignore list after having taken his bait for far too many posts. He may know coins, but he seems to be unaware of how profound his ignorance is on most other fronts. 

I still wish when you ignored someone on these boards that their authored thread topics would not show up in your feed.  It’s a pity. 

9 minutes ago, brg5658 said:

I still wish when you ignored someone on these boards that their authored thread topics would not show up in your feed.  It’s a pity. 

That's how it is on CoinTalk, and I much prefer it. If you ignore someone, you won't even see a thread they post. 

8 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

ITs just too early to say at this point in time, far too many what-if's that can happen in the coming month or two.  If there is a large spike in cases throughout FL, new local or federal restrictions, even the outcome of the election could have an influence.  For those that have plans simply be prepared to adjust if needed and if the show is a go I hope all that go have a fantastic show on both sides of the table.

I think the tell will be this:  the virus isn't leading off the news stations and those stupid "counts" for U.S. and Global deaths/infections are no longer like a scores ticker running at the bottom of ESPN or a football game.xD.

6 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Is it true we have never cured a disease caused by a virus ?  If so, then what kind are cured -- those caused by bacteria or germs ?

You can only help the body develop immunity to a viral infection, because the process of immune response to the virus is how we kill it off inside us. You cannot take a medicine and have it simply die off. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to do so anyway, since the body would not acquire immune memory of the virus if you popped a pill that cured it.

Bacterial infections can be 'cured' by use of antibiotic medicines which actually kill the bacteria. The problem with fighting viruses is that they do not reproduce like bacteria. Viruses commandeer the body's own cells to replicate, since they lack full DNA and cannot on their own reproduce themselves. The number of viral copies produced by infected cells are so large in numbers that mutations are relatively common. In the arms race between our DNA and viral pathogens, we are very slow to change, but DNA holds coded information for thousands of virus types that have hit us hard in our ancestral past. 

Inherited immunity works far more quickly than acquired immunity, (and thus the infected person appears asymptomatic,) because the cells 'recognize' the virus as being virtually identical to one in its 'encyclopedia' of viruses.

Acquired immunity only happens after the body successfully fights off an antigen, (an ANTIbody GENerator, in this case the new virus,) and the battle produces the symptoms. The  production of antibodies tailored specifically to fight the new virus results in acquired immunity against that single virus.

('Germ' is a generic term used for infectious microorganisms, and includes both bacteria and viruses.)

Edited by ProfHaroldHill
added 2nd to last sentence