• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FUN Show in January

123 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, Abuelo's Collection said:

Yes, I know people that died from the virus. Sad but true. I too know people hospitalised with the virus that were lucky enough to survive. Also, while the WHO might have issues with lockdown, they do not favour large meetings. I wish all of you good luck, but I pass. I want to be sure I do not get sick, or pass the virus to someone else. The idea of making someone else frightens me. 

They have a great big four wheeler ride where I live around Thanksgiving day every year. Thousands of people go. Luckily I didn't go this year. A girl from another state came down and was hanging around all my friends and several other people. She started having symptoms the next day and took a quick test and showed positive. A few of my friends put themselves in quarantine and a couple of them are now showing symptoms. It only takes one infected to spread to many. I agree with you.  

FUN has officially been cancelled.

2021 FLORIDA UNITED NUMISMATISTS CONVENTION CANCELLED

It is with great disappointment that the Florida United Numismatists (FUN) board of directors is announcing FUN 2021 is cancelled. Slated for January 7-10, 2021 at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Florida, the convention would have been the 66th annual event held by the Florida organization devoted to serving collectors of coins, paper money, medals, and tokens.

The FUN board has worked hard to make this show a reality, desperately wanting to provide a venue for our dealers to get back to what they love and have our numismatic community be able to convene again. However, it has become clear that the “cons” far outweigh the “pros” at this point in time. The COVID virus is spiraling out of control and the predictions are that will continue to get worse through the dates of the FUN show.

First and foremost is the concern for the health and well-being of our dealers, our service providers, and our public attendees. There are currently many concerns and many unknowns. The FUN board built in precautions with mandatory masks, purchasing hand sanitizer, and performing daily temperature checks of everyone who enters the bourse area but was still apprehensive about being able to keep everyone safe with some level of social distancing and other safety measures.

“It was a very difficult decision, but we must cancel the FUN 2021 convention,” says FUN President Bob Hurst. “The board of directors agreed to continue as long as the percentage of positive COVID-19 tests stayed at 10% or less in Orange County, Florida. Currently, it is at 14%, and we cannot wait to see if it will go down. Making the decision to cancel this 66th annual show was not made in haste. I hope to see all of you at Summer FUN 2021.”

“I know this was an incredibly difficult decision of the entire FUN Board, but it was the correct one,” remarks Heritage Auctions CEO Steve Ivy. “In the final analysis the wellbeing of FUN and its members is the ultimate consideration. The January FUN convention is and will continue to be the premier coin show of the year. Heritage Auctions and its entire staff look forward to the upcoming summer show and auction with even more anticipation than normal. And the January 2022 show will be like no other.”

Our clubs are unable to get their members to commit to attend the show and are cancelling their FUN-sponsored club buses. We believe this is a good indicator that the public is not yet comfortable attending a convention.

If you booked a hotel reservation through FUN’s official housing bureau your reservation will automatically be cancelled. Refund checks will be mailed to all who paid a bourse fee.

FUN deeply regrets disappointing many people, but we look forward to better days ahead and a hugely successful show in July 2021. We encourage all of you to consider attending Summer FUN in 2021. The FUN board will meet in the early spring to consider special plans for that

show to help make up for the loss of our January show. We will have plenty of promotional items in storage to give away and we can all celebrate better days together. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we navigate these unprecedented situations.

Edited by MarkFeld

36 minutes ago, Abuelo's Collection said:

The website still mentions that is going to happen...

The website has not been updated for a while, I'm sure it will be changed in the next few days.

This probably means that they'll have the biggest best FUN in 2022.  I know myself even if the virus had disappeared I wasn't sure about going and if I did, wouldn't have much to spend.  Hopefully a year from now I'll have some serious $$$ saved.

On 12/4/2020 at 11:56 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

This probably means that they'll have the biggest best FUN in 2022.  I know myself even if the virus had disappeared I wasn't sure about going and if I did, wouldn't have much to spend.  Hopefully a year from now I'll have some serious $$$ saved.

They are still a “go” for summer F.U.N.

[Still have a ways to go but initial results re vaccinations vs. placebos appear promising.  However, a substantial % of the population has indicated they will pass on inoculations -- and whether you choose to be vaccinated, or not, you will still have to wear your mask. 

To answer Insider's question... the Superintendent of my seniors housing development confirmed quietly that residents have left never to return but the matter is never addressed publicly for fear of raising the alarm.]

22 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

....and whether you choose to be vaccinated, or not, you will still have to wear your mask. 

Masks should eventually be redundant.

23 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

To answer Insider's question... the Superintendent of my seniors housing development confirmed quietly that residents have left never to return but the matter is never addressed publicly for fear of raising the alarm.

Raise what alarm by what going public ?  I'm confused.

On 12/4/2020 at 1:48 PM, RWB said:

Thanks for the update. Had no plans to go, but will cancel the reservations I didn't make and not take the flight I didn't schedule....so much to do even when nothing happens! B|

Have you gone to FUN either on your own or as a presenter ?

No. A couple of years ago I offered to coordinate an "Author conversation" table. A place were collectors could meet authors and chat without any sales pressure. Would have 3 or 4 authors there at one time. FUN quickly decided it would cost them a valuable table and a paper sign, and would have nothing to do with it. So I said "S*** it" and want nothing to do with them. Also told Central States to go suck a chicken and canceled membership when they started charging for Educational Exhibits! Education is supposed to be why these groups exist!

1 hour ago, RWB said:

No. A couple of years ago I offered to coordinate an "Author conversation" table. A place were collectors could meet authors and chat without any sales pressure. Would have 3 or 4 authors there at one time. FUN quickly decided it would cost them a valuable table and a paper sign, and would have nothing to do with it. So I said "S*** it" and want nothing to do with them. Also told Central States to go suck a chicken and canceled membership when they started charging for Educational Exhibits! Education is supposed to be why these groups exist!

Very short-sighted.  My club makes tables available at cost or we give them away for nothing ($400 for the weekend cost to us) to other, smaller clubs or other astronomy-related non-profits.

The conversation table would have been very well-received, IMO.

Some people at this site and over at CT have given talks at FUN.  I don't know if they were paid or comped or what.....but it definitely added to my enjoyment at my 1st FUN last year.  Maybe next time I go I'll put in a plug for your idea.

I like the idea of being able to buy some coin books from the authors or from one of the big supply/book sellers there....get it autographed....and maybe see a talk or two by the authors with some Q&A from the audience.

The purpose was to help collectors engage with people who had done the research, but who are simply faceless names to most -- or is that nameless faces --- or..... The FUN people saw no value to the attempt.

42 minutes ago, RWB said:

The purpose was to help collectors engage with people who had done the research, but who are simply faceless names to most -- or is that nameless faces --- or..... The FUN people saw no value to the attempt.

I totally disagree.  The books in question are among the most popular coin series -- Saints, Morgans, Barbers, Franklins -- that we purchase and collect.  

You must have reached a rare dunderhead on the FUN committee.  They have some very obscure talks there which I am sure are of interest to niche collectors.  I don't see how they wouldn't think that someone who authored RED BOOKS like you or Bowers or your book on Saints wouldn't be of interest.  The Morgan talk by Randy Campbell was very well attended at FUN 2020.  I wouldn't mind an author, a collector, and a dealer on a panel discussion for a particular coin.

Missed opportunity....:o

I have attended a few FUN shows, maybe 2 or 3, plus an ANA one that was held at a usual FUN venue. FUN’s speakers and talks are on a par with ANA’s. Tables for special purposes are another matter. The whole idea of gratis non-commercial bourse tables is a sticky wicket. Tables are the revenue life’s blood of any show. Unless there is either a section for them, like the club tables at an ANA show, or vast numbers of unsold tables, there is unlikely to be any non-revenue tables.

BTW, has anyone noticed how at FUN the messages/lost-and-found desk is elevated like a judicial bench? It sends a message alright. At ANA it's just at table level. BTW, in case anyone doesn't know, at ANA shows there is a fantastic recovery rate for lost and found, including a 5-figure coin on one occasion I know of personally.

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

I have attended a few FUN shows, maybe 2 or 3, plus an ANA one that was held at a usual FUN venue. FUN’s speakers and talks are on a par with ANA’s. Tables for special purposes are another matter. The whole idea of gratis non-commercial bourse tables is a sticky wicket. Tables are the revenue life’s blood of any show. Unless there is either a section for them, like the club tables at an ANA show, or vast numbers of unsold tables, there is unlikely to be any non-revenue tables.

Agreed....I certainly am aware that FUN may be working year-to-year with no financial safety net and they may not be in a position to comp many individuals or organizations.  My understanding is that a table/booth at FUN might run $1,000 - $1,500 for the first 3 days.  Not sure if that is what FUN charges or if that is what OCCC charges FUN.

Nonetheless, I think such an expenditure would be well worth it.  And I wouldn't mind either being charged a nominal admission fee or having a donation jar to keep such a panel discussion going in the future.  Of course, as we said in another thread, a small endowment is what is really needed to help fund new initiatives and give them a bit of financial leeway each year.