• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 copper penny
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Hi , I think I have a 1943 copper penny . It is pretty worn , and i could not see the date very well.It has the in god we trust,Lincoln figure, One Cent in back .As for the coin was tested at the gold and silver company here in town .Now the coin has a date issuse but can be seen if you try hard enough. I believe it may be real but people have told me that its very sceptical, but i want to be optimistic . Can the grading company verify and all its system of doing it ,be where I can afford it ?Or is it too worn even to evaluate? Thanks

20201007_003118.jpg

20201007_003147.jpg

20201007_003226.jpg

20200729_223249.jpg

Welcome to the Forum-

What you have is a case of wishfull thinking. There is no way that a TPG would certify that as a genuine 1943. You have to be able to readily identify the date which in this case you cannot. The best that you have is a well worn Wheatie worth it's value in copper.

7 hours ago, NOI said:

Hi , I think I have a 1943 copper penny . It is pretty worn , and i could not see the date very well.It has the in god we trust,Lincoln figure, One Cent in back .As for the coin was tested at the gold and silver company here in town .Now the coin has a date issuse but can be seen if you try hard enough. I believe it may be real but people have told me that its very sceptical, but i want to be optimistic . Can the grading company verify and all its system of doing it ,be where I can afford it ?Or is it too worn even to evaluate? Thanks

20201007_003118.jpg

20201007_003147.jpg

20201007_003226.jpg

20200729_223249.jpg

No. Just no. No way. No how. No.

10 hours ago, VKurtB said:

10 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Dear, sir I'm aware that some grading company will not grade any 1943 coins but I've invest some time into this coin since I've gotten this coin which was during the epidemic I received as change for my cigarettes from a small local merchant. Which I told the gentleman I was given , and him and the whole store, they was obvious to such a thing . I'm now on a journey to find out why it would be no, noway, no how a genuine 1943 coin. 1st step was proven it was a real coin in fact . Step two , to find any believers and disbelieve and find out infact that I could go forth with step three prove infact,hard facts,its a genuine or non but lay to rest from hard to facts .1 in 15,000,000 odds of in contact and people has won the lottery with them odds .I would like a fair chance at it sir . I deserve to be told infact it is or isn't . Its my dream sir to have something in my life be true .Even if it is a coin , its mine sir so i implore any one to help me in any way if any to guide me thru even at the risk of being ridiculed or mock at because i have a funny coin .Hey I past the first step, sir.Its a real coin.! Who am i to give it and throw the towel in .If I'm wrong sir, I will tell you first hand, you were right ,But am I to give up .Mr.VKirKB.? I Thank You Sir .....So forth i go ....I'll be back to let you know ...

20201007_191754.jpg

20201007_191832.jpg

Every minute you spend is wasted time, now its your time so its your decision on how to spend it.  But I am in complete agreement that what you have is nothing more than a dateless wheatback coin that has no chance of you ever proving your claim.

Edited by Coinbuf

The odds would be more like 1 in 25 billion.  Unless there is some acid that restores dates on copper coins like is done with nickels, that date is just gone and no way to say what it is.

9 hours ago, NOI said:

Dear, sir I'm aware that some grading company will not grade any 1943 coins but I've invest some time into this coin since I've gotten this coin which was during the epidemic I received as change for my cigarettes from a small local merchant. Which I told the gentleman I was given , and him and the whole store, they was obvious to such a thing . I'm now on a journey to find out why it would be no, noway, no how a genuine 1943 coin. 1st step was proven it was a real coin in fact . Step two , to find any believers and disbelieve and find out infact that I could go forth with step three prove infact,hard facts,its a genuine or non but lay to rest from hard to facts .1 in 15,000,000 odds of in contact and people has won the lottery with them odds .I would like a fair chance at it sir . I deserve to be told infact it is or isn't . Its my dream sir to have something in my life be true .Even if it is a coin , its mine sir so i implore any one to help me in any way if any to guide me thru even at the risk of being ridiculed or mock at because i have a funny coin .Hey I past the first step, sir.Its a real coin.! Who am i to give it and throw the towel in .If I'm wrong sir, I will tell you first hand, you were right ,But am I to give up .Mr.VKirKB.? I Thank You Sir .....So forth i go ....I'll be back to let you know ...

20201007_191754.jpg

20201007_191832.jpg

Even in the extraordinarily unlikely case that you could ever get even ONE numismatically educated person to see it as a 1943, it would still be worthless, because value flows from DEMAND, not rarity itself. And no one will want this coin.

Yes Sir that is "Body Bag" Material sorry

Edited by JTNewell
spelling

No competent authentication company will certify the OP's cent as a 1943 bronze cent.

If the OP insists on spending the money for an examination, why not put the cash to use by donating it to the Red Cross or maybe a local food bank. There are a lot of people in need due to lost jobs, and the OP could help by a simple, tax-deductible gift.

gmarguli, I don't know if you're Superman or if your slightly evil.  With eyesight like that I wish I had you in my tackle box when I go fishing so you could help me tie lures. You almost had me thinking I saw 1946 as well, until I sat back, then I could plainly see 1948 D over D.

Actually, what I see (and I admit it might be a bad pic :nyah: or my eyes playing tricks on me) is that there is an outline of something where the last digit should be and that outline appears to be higher than the 194 digits. If that is the case, 1946 is the only date where the last digit is higher than the 194. The 3 in 1943 is lower than 194.

Also, there appears to be a void in the last digit and that void aligns with the bar in the 4 which matches the 1946 date. 

I declare this a 1946 and I don't need fishing lures as I can see the fish right below the surface and catch them with my bare hands. :sumo:

1946.jpg

Also I believe the first 1943 coppers were first discovered in the late 1940's.  There was a craze where everybody was searching for them. This coin would have had to circulate for several decades without being noticed to wear that much.

1 hour ago, l.cutler said:

Also I believe the first 1943 coppers were first discovered in the late 1940's.  There was a craze where everybody was searching for them. This coin would have had to circulate for several decades without being noticed to wear that much.

Good point and on point. There is no question bas-relief serial numbers can be restored on firearms and various commercially available preparations have restored totally obliterated dates on Buffalo head nickels, but any hope of realizing a princely sum for a coin which is ineligible for grading -- much less federal disaster aid, is unrealistic.  [Now, if you were to ask me who was responsible for terminating Prof. VKurtB's thread with extreme prejudice, I can offer you not just plausible speculation, but an ironclad two-part unassailably factual and credible account garnished with a name executed in fancy old-time Palmer penmanship.]

I thank you all for replying .Im try to see assistance in another matter  or way .I may take a breather and Juststopit.DoyouWANTastrike? ocus on some my other coins and ask about them .But Im still try to get my coin authenicated. Thanks

Just now, NOI said:

I thank you all for replying .Im try to see assistance in another matter  or way .I may take a breather and Juststopit.DoyouWANTastrike? ocus on some my other coins and ask about them .But Im still try to get my coin authenicated. Thanks

Sorry text typing types whatever it wants