• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC "Newbie" suggestion - Short doubled die tutorial

13 posts in this topic

Suggestion

The "Newbie" board has a constant flow of "doubled die" coins that are really common mechanical doubling. It might be helpful for NGC to post a short tutorial on telling the difference between the two, and then pin it to the top of the "Newbie" board. I note that VAMWorld does this and it is likely helpful to both new collectors and experienced hobbyists who want an occasional refresher.

Edited by RWB

I agree with the idea and with pinning it to the  top of the page. The sad thing is, I still know we'll still get a ton of posts asking about such coins from newbies that don't read the post. Such is life. lol (I love people, I do, but I'm either too old or too jaded to expect too much anymore).

37 minutes ago, Revenant said:

I agree with the idea and with pinning it to the  top of the page. The sad thing is, I still know we'll still get a ton of posts asking about such coins from newbies that don't read the post. Such is life. lol (I love people, I do, but I'm either too old or too jaded to expect too much anymore).

But -- it would be simple to refer them to a standard description versus trying to re-explain it 5 times a day.

5 minutes ago, RWB said:

But -- it would be simple to refer them to a standard description versus trying to re-explain it 5 times a day.

True, and, like I said, I agree it's a good idea. I just know the posts won't stop. lol 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Something like this, perhaps?

https://www.ngccoin.com/pdf/US_Coin_Die_Varieties.pdf

It appears at the top of the VarietyPlus website, along with several other tutorials. People only have to look before asking, and it will save them a lot of frustration.

Slides 16-17 but even simpler, and placed at the top of the newbie message board where it will be seen. New collectors have limited specialty vocabulary and numismatic context, so language has to be very clear.

I would say I am your target audience (relatively new collector), and would greatly appreciate something like this. I’ve spent hours trying to definitively get the nuances of machine doubling and true doubling in the hub process, and there is little guidance. Several pictures of extreme examples exist, but the nuanced ones still are a struggle. Some of the recognized DDs look just like machine doubling to me. And vice versa. So I would greatly appreciate resources and would put the time in to use them. 

One thing I think that would really be helpful in the beginning is an explanation of what causes true DDs and what causes machine doubling. I searched for a long time and still haven’t found a great resource. It would help from the get go to understand Exactly what caused the error, and then it would be easier to understand what you are looking at/for. 

4 hours ago, Woods020 said:

I would say I am your target audience (relatively new collector), and would greatly appreciate something like this. I’ve spent hours trying to definitively get the nuances of machine doubling and true doubling in the hub process, and there is little guidance. Several pictures of extreme examples exist, but the nuanced ones still are a struggle. Some of the recognized DDs look just like machine doubling to me. And vice versa. So I would greatly appreciate resources and would put the time in to use them. 

One thing I think that would really be helpful in the beginning is an explanation of what causes true DDs and what causes machine doubling. I searched for a long time and still haven’t found a great resource. It would help from the get go to understand Exactly what caused the error, and then it would be easier to understand what you are looking at/for. 

Here is an article by our host:

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5688/Double-Dies-vs-Machine-Doubling/

Here are links to three more articles:

http://www.error-ref.com/doubled-dies/

How dies are made link

Link to another Doubled Die article

7 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Thank you, those are some very helpful links

Here are the NGC slides mentioned by Mr. Lange:

Pages from US Coin Die Varieties-NGC slides_Page_1.jpg

Pages from US Coin Die Varieties-NGC slides_Page_2.jpg

Pages from US Coin Die Varieties-NGC slides_Page_3.jpg