• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1958 penny

29 posts in this topic

Not a doubled die - just a common coin in circulated condition. Value = 2-cents in metal. Here's the real (rare) thing from Stacks-Bowers Auctions:

Image2.jpg

Edited by RWB

9 hours ago, Melissa6456 said:

Thank u

RE: "If I found this cent, I would submit it for grading".😎

He's clearly being sarcastic. Do not sent your 1958 cent for authentication or anything else. You will be wasting you money!

4 hours ago, RWB said:

RE: "If I found this cent, I would submit it for grading".😎

He's clearly being sarcastic. Do not sent your 1958 cent for authentication or anything else. You will be wasting you money!

Sadly he is not being sarcastic, he would indeed submit a coin like the coin pictured by the op; he has the disease like another member on the forum ATS.  I am in complete agreement with you that the op would be wasting money by submitting the coin shown, it is not a DDO and is worth $.50 at best.

Edited by Coinbuf

18 hours ago, Modwriter said:

If I found this cent, I would submit it for grading.😎

You would?????? Why????

1 minute ago, Modwriter said:

I would make a final check with my own loupe before submitting. I think it may be AU grade. I'm a trophy hunter and I like to have my trophies mounted. Reckless, yes, diseased, not. Perhaps an heir, generations from now will someday raise a glass of the finest whiskey and thank me.

Hmmmm, methinks you may have gotten a little carried away with getting really average mundane coins graded. Grading is for the exceptional, not the ordinary. 

The OP's cent is not a doubled die coin, and recommending he/she pay $$ to confirm that is both cruel and sardonic.

37 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

How many 1958 cents will the OP find in their lifetime?

RWB I am not mocking or being inhuman to anybody and how dare you accuse me of that. Karma is a person_without_enough_empathy and carries a big hammer.

None---and the pictured coin is not one. Look at the auction photo and compare to the OP's photo.

Your language convicts you, not my bringing it to the attention of the OP. Your suggestion to a new, inexperienced and impressionable collector was, and remains, cruel and sardonic -- and let's add "crass" to the adjectives. The OP will learn about coins and collecting from his experiences and from other collectors, but not by wanton indiscriminate wastefulness.

Modwriter, you may be a trophy hunter and don't mind paying to have pocket change slabbed, but you really shouldn't keep suggesting that newbies do it.  When you do that it makes them think that they have something really special and they don't realize they are spending a LOT more money than the coin is worth.

13 hours ago, Modwriter said:

OK guys. I will tone it down as should RWB with his ten year old playground insults. I can count on one hand who I consider numismatic senseis here and you are one of them Conder101. I want the OP to make up their own mind.

Here's the thing. Maybe you, with your very specialized collecting style which I am not judging, would slab it. Your money, your call. But the new inquirer has no idea of your context, and therefore weights your recommendation as one [clearly established forum member who might possibly be an expert or at least seems like an Advanced Numismatist] vote in favor. They don't know you're doing a thing you're about the only person who would do. It is the responsible behavior to consider qualifying your response in such a case, showing consideration to the differing context of the new collector/finder. If you do not, you will do harm to the inquirer, the forum, and the hobby. It's not much to ask.

Now, if it's one of the persons_whose_heads_bear_remarkable_resemblances_to_male_generative_organs who shows up here with an abused parking lot coin, insists that it's a rare mint error and a quintupled die, and yowls defiant dissent at several members who try patiently to inform him that it's a piece of junk worth face value, by all means tell them to send it in. After those exhibitions, they deserve to waste their money. But this OP has done nothing of the kind.

10 hours ago, JKK said:

I want the OP to make up their own mind.

If "Modwriter" really wanted the OP to "makeup his own mind" then he should have pointed the OP to available free resources, not told him/her to waste their money on futile submission. The posted photo of a real 1958 DD should have been sufficient for all but the most dedicated sociopath. Maybe it won't sink in but to "Modwriter:" Your suggestion to a new, inexperienced and impressionable collector was, and remains, cruel and sardonic -- and let's add "crass" to the adjectives.

The End.

3 hours ago, RWB said:

If "Modwriter" really wanted the OP to "makeup his own mind" then he should have pointed the OP to available free resources, not told him/her to waste their money on futile submission. The posted photo of a real 1958 DD should have been sufficient for all but the most dedicated sociopath. Maybe it won't sink in but to "Modwriter:" Your suggestion to a new, inexperienced and impressionable collector was, and remains, cruel and sardonic -- and let's add "crass" to the adjectives.

The End.

You quote is attributed to me, but it is not mine.

JKK - Correct. I quoted your post that included "Modwriter's" statement, and it came out as under JKK's name. Sorry for missing that. Added a note to my post.

Edited by RWB

And to think I thought the newbie -- who, incidentally, is a young lady -- would manage just fine without me.  But then, I am but an infant.  I'll wait patiently until I am a toddler to put my two cents in.

The safest way to approach the DDO is to simply glance at it.  The effect, some say most pronounced in LIBERTY, will leap right out at you. You will not have to look for it.  But if you do, you probably do not have what you think you do.

Wow I didn't mean to cause this much controversy and yes I am a young lady thank you lol I just know sometimes they suggest getting a microscope to to be able to see the doubling on some coins.I hope this doesn't cause another argument but isn't there also a 1958 d ddo?

24 minutes ago, Melissa6456 said:

Wow I didn't mean to cause this much controversy and yes I am a young lady thank you lol I just know sometimes they suggest getting a microscope to to be able to see the doubling on some coins.I hope this doesn't cause another argument but isn't there also a 1958 d ddo?

Dont worry about it, some points must be made so harm is not done.  The answer is yes there are two which you can find for yourself on Variety Vista.    Variety Vista

9 hours ago, bsshog40 said:

Internet bully?? LMAO

lol. Not me. I was mad that day and have since apologized. No worries here. If I could delete that comment, I would. Peace and Love to all.☮❤

10 hours ago, Melissa6456 said:

No worries here. I was born in 1958, so I had reason to like your cent a lot and went overboard after having too many shots that day of OL NO.7. My apologies to all. RWB is a black belt and I am working up to a yellow belt. I have been humbled by the senseis in this dojo. If I could have removed my comment, I would have. I may ask our host to remove me from this discussion. Love and Peace to all. ❤☮

On 9/29/2020 at 9:49 PM, Just Bob said:

Is that a circulation find?

7 hours ago, Modwriter said:

No worries here. I was born in 1958, so I had reason to like your cent a lot and went overboard after having too many shots that day of OL NO.7. My apologies to all. RWB is a black belt and I am working up to a yellow belt. I have been humbled by the senseis in this dojo. If I could have removed my comment, I would have. I may ask our host to remove me from this discussion. Love and Peace to all. ❤☮

Thank you.

18 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Dont worry about it, some points must be made so harm is not done.  The answer is yes there are two which you can find for yourself on Variety Vista.    Variety Vista

Thank you so much I've never heard of Variety Vista that will help so much

On 10/4/2020 at 6:31 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

And to think I thought the newbie -- who, incidentally, is a young lady -- would manage just fine without me.  But then, I am but an infant.  I'll wait patiently until I am a toddler to put my two cents in.

The safest way to approach the DDO is to simply glance at it.  The effect, some say most pronounced in LIBERTY, will leap right out at you. You will not have to look for it.  But if you do, you probably do not have what you think you do.

2020-10-17 07.14.45.jpg

2020-10-17 07.10.47.jpg

Melissa, please start a new thread for each coin. It gets confusing when there are more than 1 coin on a thread plus the fact that no one knows it is here unless they scroll down the to the end of the posting.

To get back to your question, that is a WAM