• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High grade clad quarters community?
1 1

41 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Cascadia said:

Does anyone know where the clad coin collectors hang out online?  I want to connect with people that search for high grade state quarters, etc

We can hang out here. I have been submitting clad quarters for grading. They are in my registry with 11 more being graded at PCGS right now. Grading out at MS65-MS66. My lowest grade is is a 2019-W Frank Church MS64 so far. I have a 65 clad included in my submission, hoping for a low MS or high AU. Clad on!

16 hours ago, Cascadia said:

Does anyone know where the clad coin collectors hang out online?  I want to connect with people that search for high grade state quarters, etc

I only collect at a minimum grade of MS66.

10 hours ago, Modwriter said:

We can hang out here. I have been submitting clad quarters for grading. They are in my registry with 11 more being graded at PCGS right now. Grading out at MS65-MS66. My lowest grade is is a 2019-W Frank Church MS64 so far. I have a 65 clad included in my submission, hoping for a low MS or high AU. Clad on!

That's awesome, so glad to connect with a fellow high grade clad collector.  It is difficult searching through modern state quarters to find the ultra gems.  There are usually a couple of nicks, machine oil from the mint, or poor strikes.  Do you have any tips on how you do it successfully?

45 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

That's cool Kurt, I collect 67+ as a minimum

Moderns are not popular.  Clad is almost anti-popular: People run away if you bring up the subject.

Good luck!  Moderns are my favorite coins and clad quarters are my favorite modern.  

I'm told you can find a few collectors on facebook and the like but never checked it out.  As an old fogie I just don't want to sign up.  

This forum has a somewhat small level of active members so dividing into smaller groups is usually not beneficial.  I am not a roll searcher myself but there are a few here that are doing that so my suggestion is to start some new posts on what you are doing and finding and develop the friendships from that.  Just don't be discouraged if you do not get lots of reply's immediately, things move at a leisurely pace here.

On 9/27/2020 at 11:11 AM, Cascadia said:

That's awesome, so glad to connect with a fellow high grade clad collector.  It is difficult searching through modern state quarters to find the ultra gems.  There are usually a couple of nicks, machine oil from the mint, or poor strikes.  Do you have any tips on how you do it successfully?

That's cool Kurt, I collect 67+ as a minimum

I search quarter rolls from the bank and pay with cash as much as possible for pocket change. I can go weeks finding nothing, then for some reason find several MS coins.

On 9/27/2020 at 3:53 PM, Modwriter said:

What? I could swear that you told me that you collected at MS63 and above.😎

Not on the ATB's. Minimum MS66. Even the W mint ones. I get S and W examples slabbed, or buy them already slabbed for less that I'd spend getting them slabbed. Minimum MS66. I have mostly 67's and a smattering of 68's. I like 67's, but I'll take 66's. All the P's and D's in my Dansco are cut from U.S. Mint Uncirculated Sets only, nothing from circulation. I snag circulation pieces for my kid's H.E. Harris map.

Edited by VKurtB

Oh, I will snag graded proofs also. I have about half PF70 and the rest PF69. In some cases the 69’s look a bit nicer. 

6 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Oh, I will snag graded proofs also. I have about half PF70 and the rest PF69. In some cases the 69’s look a bit nicer. 

My 1973-S dime that I got at a coin shop graded at MS 68. I am not completely reckless.

On 10/1/2020 at 3:41 PM, Modwriter said:

My 1973-S dime that I got at a coin shop graded at MS 68. I am not completely reckless.

I'm sure you mean PF68, not MS-68. PF68 is NOT a great coin at all.

On 10/1/2020 at 12:41 PM, Modwriter said:

It is unfortunate that you don't realize just how wrong your statement is.  On ebay right this minute I can buy via buy it now auctions two PCGS 1973-S PR68 dimes for $6.99 each and several DCAM's for under $10.  There is no way you got your dime certified by any legitimate TPG for less than anyone could buy one for.  I am not saying that you cannot or should not submit any coin you want, but examples like this are why you have been told your advice to new collectors to slab everything is reckless and foolish.

On 10/6/2020 at 7:53 AM, VKurtB said:

I'm sure you mean PF68, not MS-68. PF68 is NOT a great coin at all.

Yes, PF68. Wow, et tu vkurtB? That is your opinion and appreciate it. Have a nice day Peace and Love.☮❤

On 10/6/2020 at 11:49 AM, Coinbuf said:

It is unfortunate that you don't realize just how wrong your statement is.  On ebay right this minute I can buy via buy it now auctions two PCGS 1973-S PR68 dimes for $6.99 each and several DCAM's for under $10.  There is no way you got your dime certified by any legitimate TPG for less than anyone could buy one for.  I am not saying that you cannot or should not submit any coin you want, but examples like this are why you have been told your advice to new collectors to slab everything is reckless and foolish.

et tu Coinbluf? I guess you did not see my apology  at the other discussion. I will not be telling any newbies to slab their coins here. I have come to realize that you so called Numismatics here are not helpful to me anymore. I will NO LONGER be using NGC to grade my coins. Peace and Love to you all.☮❤

47 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

et tu Coinbluf? I guess you did not see my apology  at the other discussion. I will not be telling any newbies to slab their coins here. I have come to realize that you so called Numismatics here are not helpful to me anymore. I will NO LONGER be using NGC to grade my coins. Peace and Love to you all.☮❤

Yes I saw your post and am happy that you understand the concerns that have been voiced about your recommendations, and if you recall I was the first person to call you out on this.   Also you are free to chose any service you want but it seems that your decision to not use NGC is formed around the concept that by not using NGC's services you are somehow punishing the people that have posted.  No one that has posted to this thread (or the other thread) works for or represents NGC so if you think that using another TPG is hurting anyone but yourself you are incorrect.  And (please correct me if I am wrong here) as I am a member here and ATS I seem to recall a thread over there where you were similarly admonished by members for giving the same advice there, so does that mean that you are also not going to use PCGS to grade your coins?

And to be very fair I don't believe I have said your spending monies in the fashion you choose is reckless, that is not my decision to make.  What I did say is that advising others who many not understand your motivations is foolish and reckless because it could be a poor use of someone's coin funds.   I do not wish you to leave but again that is not my decision, but if that is your choice I wish you well on your journey.  

11 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Yes I saw your post and am happy that you understand the concerns that have been voiced about your recommendations, and if you recall I was the first person to call you out on this.   Also you are free to chose any service you want but it seems that your decision to not use NGC is formed around the concept that by not using NGC's services you are somehow punishing the people that have posted.  No one that has posted to this thread (or the other thread) works for or represents NGC so if you think that using another TPG is hurting anyone but yourself you are incorrect.  And (please correct me if I am wrong here) as I am a member here and ATS I seem to recall a thread over there where you were similarly admonished by members for giving the same advice there, so does that mean that you are also not going to use PCGS to grade your coins?

And to be very fair I don't believe I have said your spending monies in the fashion you choose is reckless, that is not my decision to make.  What I did say is that advising others who many not understand your motivations is foolish and reckless because it could be a poor use of someone's coin funds.   I do not wish you to leave but again that is not my decision, but if that is your choice I wish you well on your journey.  

I am treated very well at the other TPG. I dont like to show my hand, but I have been forced to. My funds are backed by a extremely large hedge fund. They know who I am and who I represent there. I don't remember ever being admonished as severely as I have been here by RWB and some others that I formerly admired. I will be more conservative here from now on, but if I feel I am being harassed again, I will suggest a sell order.

20 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

I am treated very well at the other TPG. I dont like to show my hand, but I have been forced to. My funds are backed by a extremely large hedge fund. They know who I am and who I represent there. I don't remember ever being admonished as severely as I have been here by RWB and some others that I formerly admired. I will be more conservative here from now on, but if I feel I am being harassed again, I will suggest a sell order.

If you are that thin skinned, perhaps an internet forum is not the place for you.  

1 minute ago, Morpheus1967 said:

If you are that thin skinned, perhaps an internet forum is not the place for you.  

I am not thin skinned Morpheus. I was called inhuman by RWB. Would he say that to my face? I doubt it. Any real man would not hide behind a computer. All  that numismatic knowledge in the world and uses it to call other collectors names? Weak in character.

2 hours ago, Modwriter said:

I am not thin skinned Morpheus. I was called inhuman by RWB. Would he say that to my face? I doubt it. Any real man would not hide behind a computer. All  that numismatic knowledge in the world and uses it to call other collectors names? Weak in character.

If I ran into you at a show and we both had a few minutes to burn, I’d want to buy you a drink and talk about your slabbing strategy. I simply do not understand what you intend to accomplish with it, and I am a really curious type of guy. I do own some bizarre slabs, but I mostly acquired them for exactly the purpose of giving a talk about their bizarre nature.

What you are doing is fascinating to me, but it’s wisdom is lost on me so far. I own at least 100 1958 cents in far better condition than the 1958 you recommended getting graded. They are in two 1960’s vintage plastic coin storage tubes, and I’d never imagine having them graded, but they are all BU and fully red. 1958 is simply a too easily found date. It was widely hoarded and saved.

WAIT DONT LEAVE MODWRITER!!!!!  I kind of enjoy the banter and not for once take it seriously. Everyone has an opinion and should feel free to express it the way they wish.  that is what make the hobby fun.  i say MS 65 you say 66.  and we debate the merits.  it shouldn't hurt anyone's feelings even the experts get it wrong every now and then. 

7 hours ago, VKurtB said:

If I ran into you at a show and we both had a few minutes to burn, I’d want to buy you a drink and talk about your slabbing strategy. I simply do not understand what you intend to accomplish with it, and I am a really curious type of guy. I do own some bizarre slabs, but I mostly acquired them for exactly the purpose of giving a talk about their bizarre nature.

What you are doing is fascinating to me, but it’s wisdom is lost on me so far. I own at least 100 1958 cents in far better condition than the 1958 you recommended getting graded. They are in two 1960’s vintage plastic coin storage tubes, and I’d never imagine having them graded, but they are all BU and fully red. 1958 is simply a too easily found date. It was widely hoarded and saved.

Can't wait til they have a coin show here in Southern California after this virus is over. Yes, I'd really like to bend an elbow with you! I've got a lot of Irish DNA and Love my whiskey. If you have the other TPG, I think you can see my coin registry. I have a registry for my NGC coins, but it is not as big a registry. Trying to put together sets from the 4 different mints for each year, and Washington, State, Territories, ATB quarters. I will have a complete set of the 2019 Frank Church with my next submission, including the 5oz silver. I also re-opened my ebay store to sell my extras, that I get when bidding large lots at auctions. heard58 is my store name if you would like to trade for your extra 1958's.😎

On 9/27/2020 at 1:24 PM, VKurtB said:

[I'd rather be told I was seen picking up used cigarette butts off the street -- and I'm not even a smoker.]

On 10/8/2020 at 3:50 PM, Modwriter said:

Can't wait til they have a coin show here in Southern California after this virus is over. Yes, I'd really like to bend an elbow with you! I've got a lot of Irish DNA and Love my whiskey. If you have the other TPG, I think you can see my coin registry. I have a registry for my NGC coins, but it is not as big a registry. Trying to put together sets from the 4 different mints for each year, and Washington, State, Territories, ATB quarters. I will have a complete set of the 2019 Frank Church with my next submission, including the 5oz silver. I also re-opened my ebay store to sell my extras, that I get when bidding large lots at auctions. heard58 is my store name if you would like to trade for your extra 1958's.😎

Very high on my post-retirement bucket list is my first Long Beach show. 

14 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Very high on my post-retirement bucket list is my first Long Beach show. 

I am going to the show November 11th. It will be my first show and auction. I want to see the uber rich bid thousands of dollars for coins. My wife told me to choose between her or my whiskey. I am now only drinking beer.  lol

On 10/8/2020 at 4:50 PM, Modwriter said:

Can't wait til they have a coin show here in Southern California after this virus is over.

From what I see on the website the F.U.N. Show is still on!!!!! Can't wait to hit the floor!  Jan 7 - 10  Not so sure how they are going to be able to adhere to all of the social distancing rules??  it should be interesting.

On 10/13/2020 at 7:57 AM, JTNewell said:

From what I see on the website the F.U.N. Show is still on!!!!! Can't wait to hit the floor!  Jan 7 - 10  Not so sure how they are going to be able to adhere to all of the social distancing rules??  it should be interesting.

It will be a doable drive from Huntsville, Alabama. I'm as good as there.

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

It will be a doable drive from Huntsville, Alabama. I'm as good as there.

AWSOME!!  I just got back for Huntsville... yes it is an easy trip, I used to live there.  My little brother still lives up there.   600 tables of numismatic bliss.  i roam the floor then can usually be found hanging out at Andy Skrabalak's table.  he has some of the finest small change around 1c, 2c, 3c, and 5c around.