• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of complete 1868 proof set, in velvet case

5 posts in this topic

As we think about today's value of an 1868 proof set, in a custom velvet case, 120 years ago it was barely marketable.

George E. Voorhes,

Hardware and Iron Merchant

Morristown, N.J.

July 9, 1896

My Dear Sir:

Among the effects of my brother who has just dies is a complete set of U.S. coins in a velvet case, of the issue of 1868, from $20 gold down to 1-cent bronze. They are in same condition as when first issued from the mine, in fact they are in the case made especially for them.

Will you kindly let me know if they are worth more than their face value, and also will you refer me to some party, if you know of such person, who would be likely to want them?

Yours truly,

James R. Voorhes, Administrator

Reply:

A full proof set of the U.S. coins of 1868 is worth about $51.00. We don’t know of any collector that would purchase. Coin dealers would not pay so much as the above value.

Mc [Clure, Curator]

Edited by RWB

17 minutes ago, RWB said:

Heritage Auction = $9,487.50 for silver and minor.

Gold = ?

Unless that was a very long time ago, the coins certainly weren’t all “gems”.

Writer says in original condition and original case. Case would likely be similar to that used for 1868 aluminum sets - purple velvet.