• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1876 S trade double die reverse. Whats a good listing price for this coin.

5 posts in this topic

Don't you mean 1876-CC not S? Your pictured coin has minor mechanical doubling, and is an ordinary cleaned EF Trade dollar. Here's a detail photo of the doubled die CC variety from PCGS database.

Image1.jpg

I think Mechanical doubling.  As far as I know Longacre doubling disappears on dies from hub designs created or modified after Longacres death in 1869.  That's why it isn't seen on the obv of Indian head cents after 1886 but it continues to show up on the rev through the end of the series.  The new obv hub didn't have the shouldering, but the old unchanged rev hubs did.  Longacre never had anything to do with the Trade dollars so they shouldn't have the shouldering.  Also Longacre doubling tends to appear in more than one side or direction often on the same design element.  Machine doubling is directional.  All the doubling on the subject coin appears to be in the same direction and just on one side.

13 hours ago, Conder101 said:

I think Mechanical doubling.  As far as I know Longacre doubling disappears on dies from hub designs created or modified after Longacres death in 1869.  That's why it isn't seen on the obv of Indian head cents after 1886 but it continues to show up on the rev through the end of the series.  The new obv hub didn't have the shouldering, but the old unchanged rev hubs did.  Longacre never had anything to do with the Trade dollars so they shouldn't have the shouldering.  Also Longacre doubling tends to appear in more than one side or direction often on the same design element.  Machine doubling is directional.  All the doubling on the subject coin appears to be in the same direction and just on one side.

The effect called "Longacre doubling" is visible on double eagles as late as 1904. It is caused by a punch being driven into a die too deeply, and revealing the outline of the punch base at the end of the shank. This can be seen on individual letters/digits, logotypes, and as with the 1904 DE, when a detail on a working die is strengthened by re-punching certain features. Polishing and/or re-basining can remove this if there is sufficient relief to permit without damaging design details.

It is very common among dies made during James Longacre's tenure as Engraver, but appears occasionally before and after.