• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proof or MS
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Rdietrick you need to find those coins that grab you.  Just building an MS set or a proof set of coins may not make you happy about your collection.  I for one have collected most of the series since i was a boy in the old blue folders.  I have most circulation strikes back to the late 1800's  I am particularly proud of the fact that i have all of the half dollars back to the 1902. Since I am fond of nickels I have mot of those back to the shield series. So my old Whitman folders provide me more joy then all of my slab Morgan's, Peace, Buffalos, and Indians.  So in essence pick something that you like and start there. Learn about the series and have fun;.

Although older proof coins are more expensive than circulation strikes, they offer limited variety since all come from the Philadelphia Mint (until modern proofs beginning in 1969).

Coins made for circulation offer a wide variety of mintmarked issues, and include some coins that are exceedingly rare in uncirculated condition. JTNewell's suggestions are excellent and the hobby will be most satisfying to you if you select coins you like or that have interesting back stories and historical context.

There is no right or wrong way to collect, the above advice is spot on and what to collect is a very personal choice.  I chose Lincoln cents as I find the life and history of Lincoln to be very compelling and immensely interesting to me.  I also chose to do the full date/mm set for the challenge due to the immense size of the set (142 coins in the 09-58 set alone) where a date set, or proof date set, would have been much smaller and far easier to complete and perhaps less expensive.  Consider the costs such as initial cost of the coins, storing the coins can be costly as a large slabbed set like mine does take up a few bank boxes to store, the look you want as in mint state or circulated; all these and more can factor into your choice.

I would suggest going to a show if possible and looking thru the registry sets available here to see what piques your interest; date sets, full sets, type sets, sub sets, toned sets, sets biased on a theme US sets, world coin sets; they are all possibilities.  Just remember that its a hobby and to have fun, if you start down one direction you are always free to put that on pause to pursue a different direction should you find your first choice not to your liking.

You didn't mention what series you're looking at or what kind of budget you have. Are you building a type set or looking to complete a single series? Will it be a date run or include all mints? What condition are you looking at, circ, generic MS/PR, gems? 

I personally like business strikes better. Proofs were made for collectors and preserved and saved. Business strikes were made for commerce. I like something about the fact that the coin survived and wasn't spent and 100 or more years later the coin is still in exceptional condition. 

I collect both proofs and circulation-intended in most series I collect. I say “circulation-intended” because I only collect VERY high condition examples. I’d rather have an empty hole in my albums than an inferior piece. My game is “upgrade by replacement”.

From what I have seen, if you are looking to spend and make money as opposed to truly enjoying the hobby itself, Uncirculated Business Strikes seem to bring more money than Proofs. Seems to me that not many people buy individual Coins from Proof Sets, but rather want the entire set and don't want to pay much for them. Also, Proofs are expected to be perfect (although to my experience over the past few years the Proofs being put out are far inferior to years of old), like the Nickel always having the Full Steps. So finding a Coin that was minted for circulation and is way perfect is a Coin that people want to own .

On 9/28/2020 at 12:26 AM, KarenHolcomb said:

a Coin that was minted for circulation and is way perfect is a Coin that people want to own

See Karen? NOW you understand me. :smile:

8 hours ago, VKurtB said:

See Karen? NOW you understand me. :smile:

Right. Thing is that they are SOOO pricey, so we gotta keep looking for errors until we either find that one Coin that will allow me to get serious or win the lottery.