• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did you ever receive a letter like this from a coin dealer?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Chapman referred to everyone as "Esquire" (except the ladies), and his letters always end with the semi-formal "Very Respectfully" or "Yours Truly."  This included letters where he called the recipient a lying SOB of simian parentage, etc.

I came across a somewhat similar letter to a German dealer in which Chapman complained of the coins not matching descriptions. The amount of correspondence over just a few months is staggering - and Chapman business records have only about 1/2-of the letters - i.e., incoming letters were no copied.

The originals are in ANS in New York, and PDF copies are available on NNP - free to all!

They could be a lot pickier back in the day, especially with all the dignity accorded and expected  back then.

I've dealt with dishonesty in a few dealers and keep personal feelings out it.  

I was a little surprised to hear a well known and respected dealer from VA this week refer to a dealer who went to jail as "that worm".

Edited by Nutmeg Coin

A few observations, strictly as an observer and not a dealer, if I may.

I believe the tone of the letter, unusually abrasive where it ought to have been more solicitous, is the most noticeable aspect.  

Other important considerations are the date: less than a year following the Blizzard of 1888 (New York City) and the photographs taken then depicting the primitive state of the roads, forms of transportation and communication all of which must be taken into consideration.  (I truly regret not appreciating the significance of stacks of Civil War-era Harper's Weekly newspapers which could be had for a pittance back in the 1960's.)

Quintus - Can you explain how the previous December's blizzard influenced Chapman's letter? (S.H. Chapman seems to have done most of the letter writing.)

17 hours ago, RWB said:

Quintus - Can you explain how the previous December's blizzard influenced Chapman's letter? (S.H. Chapman seems to have done most of the letter writing.)

No sir, I cannot. What I meant to convey, apparently poorly, was the importance of the context of the times as well-documented in period photographs taken, e.g., in one of the greatest cities in the world.  The telephone was a luxury. There was no motor transport, no airplanes, just horse-drawn coaches and steam-powered boats and trains. A blizzard could cripple all transportation and hinder communication.  I am afraid I know nothing of the Chapmans or the locality from which they conducted their business.  (There are folks reading this who do not know what "cc" or "bcc" stand for, much less some of the more common legal abbreviations.) I consider the research you do and the courtesy you extend to others in sharing it, to be the ultimate kindness you can bestow on generations to follow. 

RE: "...what "cc" or "bcc" stand for..."

Well, BC stands for "Before " but is now used by scholars as "BCE" meaning "Before the Crappy Era."

"BCC" stands for "Blinkin' Common " and "CE" means "Crappy Era." NOTE: Crappy Era is understood as before internet, you can guess the rest.

(Although, I have to admit that "cc" stands for a girl I knew in college....Shhhhh, not a word to the wife, even though she's dead.)

I just realized that I’ve only once received a letter of any kind from a coin dealer, and that was from Don Kagin during his “give me your 2¢” campaign while running for office in the ANA.

3 hours ago, RWB said:

RE: "...what "cc" or "bcc" stand for..."

Well, BC stands for "Before " but is now used by scholars as "BCE" meaning "Before the Crappy Era."

"BCC" stands for "Blinkin' Common " and "CE" means "Crappy Era." NOTE: Crappy Era is understood as before internet, you can guess the rest.

(Although, I have to admit that "cc" stands for a girl I knew in college....Shhhhh, not a word to the wife, even though she's dead.)

You, sir, are a living treasure and a prized asset to the Forum.

12 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Who's dead, the girl or the wife? :)

The wife. CC's whereabouts are unknown.

Edited by RWB