• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on this 1833 Dime

19 posts in this topic

Well --- I wasn't going to say anything --- but the hidden camera in the eagle's belly button (behind the shield) is an interesting feature. Probably added after the date on the coin. I won't mention the microwave transmitter....

19 minutes ago, James_OldeTowne said:

Is it genuine?  It looks almost like brass (which could be just due to the toning, of course).

It is genuine - could be just the photo.

In that case, I am thinking JR-8, which is a much better die-marriage for 1833 - probably still R.5.  And I like it as a straight-grade VF, even with the little planchet flaw.  It could well be a $300 coin.

Edited by James_OldeTowne

55 minutes ago, James_OldeTowne said:

In that case, I am thinking JR-8, which is a much better die-marriage for 1833 - probably still R.5.  And I like it as a straight-grade VF, even with the little planchet flaw.  It could well be a $300 coin.

Thanks James - I'll have to look at this one a bit closer. I'm not a dime guy - so this is interesting. 

I'm not up on the nuances of bust dimes, there seems to be some corrosion and the fresh looking scratch on the rev (right wing as viewed) is of concern.  I am not sure about a straight grade but would not completely rule it out, I would do the research on it and then put it in my type set album and enjoy it.

I do hope Zebo does the research.  If I'm correct and this is a legitimately rare die-marriage, that might change the type-set strategy.  This one could be sold at a significant premium, and the proceeds used to purchase a commoner die-marriage in higher grade.

1 hour ago, James_OldeTowne said:

I do hope Zebo does the research.  If I'm correct and this is a legitimately rare die-marriage, that might change the type-set strategy.  This one could be sold at a significant premium, and the proceeds used to purchase a commoner die-marriage in higher grade.

Thanks James - for the support. What are you judging the JR-8 attribution on? Looking at the dime, I was thinking maybe JR-7, also and R5, because the i is slightly to the left of center below the T instead of directly below it. As I said - I'm not a dime guy, so any help is appreciated. 

I do do like this coin, but didn't think about the die marriage - thanks again.

Edited by Zebo
Typo

I finally got my dime book out and formally attributed it, rather than just relying on shorthand notes, and was wrong the first time around.  It's actually JR-9, which is only R.2.  Sorry about that!  

55 minutes ago, James_OldeTowne said:

I finally got my dime book out and formally attributed it, rather than just relying on shorthand notes, and was wrong the first time around.  It's actually JR-9, which is only R.2.  Sorry about that!  

Rats - I was hoping that it was a JR-7.

what book did you pick up. I'm considering the one below:

image.jpg

On 10/1/2020 at 12:38 PM, Coinbuf said:

I'm not up on the nuances of bust dimes, there seems to be some corrosion and the fresh looking scratch on the rev (right wing as viewed) is of concern.  I am not sure about a straight grade but would not completely rule it out, I would do the research on it and then put it in my type set album and enjoy it.

Straight graded would require a really liberal definition of "market acceptable".  No coin I have collected would receive a numerical grade if it looked like the image.  I have had a lot better still come back as "details, surface hairlines" and the coins are much scarcer than this one.

I see a good honest mid-grade coin. Nothing so bad as to “details” it, and nice honest wear.