• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lincoln toning
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I’ve looked at a lot of Lincoln’s over the years but this one is by far the most colorful I’ve ever seen. I have seen toning on numerous coins but this one really stood out. It just came out of a bank roll I got today. The pics don’t do it justice. The blue toning on this cent does not show up in the photos as good as looking at it in person. I don’t think this is a “washed” coin being that it is a 2006D and not a proof. Just curious how this happens. Thanks. 

A254ED97-4396-40D6-8102-43971534E331.jpeg

229B5D68-524A-4CD6-87D4-E916693AEF95.jpeg

I'm sure the coin looks better in person as toning is hard to photograph. I know when I have tried, they turn out more black that toned. Toning and the different colours of toning are  caused by whatever environmental conditions they were exposed too. Some exposures can create rainbow colours while others can make the coin look dirty.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It may have gone through the washing machine. I've seen similar results when I forgot to empty my pockets.

3 hours ago, Greenstang said:

I'm sure the coin looks better in person as toning is hard to photograph. I know when I have tried, they turn out more black that toned. Toning and the different colours of toning are  caused by whatever environmental conditions they were exposed too. Some exposures can create rainbow colours while others can make the coin look dirty.

You’re right about hard to photograph the toning. It is very colorful and the areas that look black or dirty are more of a blue tint.  Just a neat colored coin no doubt and worth.....well.... 1 cent.... :) Thanks Greenstang. 

1 hour ago, DWLange said:

It may have gone through the washing machine. I've seen similar results when I forgot to empty my pockets.

Thanks DWLange. Didn’t think about that. 👍

Copper has some interesting color reactions to many common household cleaners, including dish soap and laundry detergent, much of the color change depends on what is on the surface of the coin.

15 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Copper has some interesting color reactions to many common household cleaners, including dish soap and laundry detergent, much of the color change depends on what is on the surface of the coin.

Thank you Coinbuf for that comment. I have never really seen a Lincoln exhibit this much of a “rainbow” effect of colors. But, after the previous replies, and some more research on my part, I am I am understanding more so how this can occur. Thanks!