• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Striking Gurus Help Needed Please! 1811/10 O-101
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone! Here is a stumper: 1811/10 O-101 struck through debris (mostly pieces of iron brads). One complete brad struck through is seen at the edge on the reverse at AM. Now, at stars 12-13 and betond is a line of denticles which are impressed into the coin. The spaces between the denticles, normally part of the field, are part of the devices, popping out from the field. This continues over the edge beyond star 13.Also, there is a definite rimbreak there and a cud is forming over star 13 (or it very much looks like one is). The edge lettering, though jumbled in places, is there. The coin also appears to be a bit thinner than usual, as about half of the edge lettering shows only halfway..This reminds me of the Unique 1828 12 Star Half Cent Manly Terminal Die State 2.0-it's made the same way, but no negativlely cast denticles were under that rimbreak cud, as it happened with this coin. Any ideas?

1811a.jpg

1811b.jpg

I recall that thin wire nails - similar to modern brads - were only cut from 18 and 20 gauge brass wire in the early 18th century. Steel did not exist and iron was too soft for these small items.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It appears to be damage that occurred while the coin was still circulating and then continued to wear down.

On 9/25/2020 at 7:12 AM, kidrootbeer said:

Before I post better pics, how does one explain the straight line of impressed denticles under a rimbreak to cud, at Stars 12-13 and betond? 

Whatever happened there happened prior to the coin being struck, my guess is that the planchet came in contact with a gear as opposed to that being denticles.  But that is just my best guess.

All things considered, I really like this coin.  There are some references to denticles, but none appear to have been tickled to death requiring extraction.  Some spectators have mentioned the rim/edge damage, regrettable at best, but these are heavy coins and this one wore down nicely. Same goes for what I term "service" damage having been intermittently in and out of circulation for over 200 years!  The only enduring mystery left is what event necessitated the radical tracheotomy which is very rarely performed in the field of ornithology much less on a bird specifically chosen for representation on a half-dollar workhorse. 😉