• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chinese Cast Coin 5 identify

7 posts in this topic

This is greatly encrusted with marine growth but now that I have it oriented correctly - appears to be S545 Seal -script  YUAN-FENG, AD 1078-1085

S-545-550. Bronze 1 cash. Obverse: "YUAN-FENG T'UNG-PAO" in seal, orthodox and grass scripts.  see: http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/china/china5.htm

4 hours ago, JKK said:

Heh. Won't take long before you're the board's one to go to on these.

Something clicked today but it wouldn't have without your guidance.   When I first looked through online sources I could not make heads or tails out of anything.  Now with some basic understanding of it, I am starting to at least begin to correctly research.  Thank You

9 minutes ago, osborne311 said:

Something clicked today but it wouldn't have without your guidance.   When I first looked through online sources I could not make heads or tails out of anything.  Now with some basic understanding of it, I am starting to at least begin to correctly research.  Thank You

Glad to be of help. What my mind does with complex characters is call them what they resemble, in my imagination, with zero direct relevance to actual translation. The majority of cashes you will find, at least those not salvaged from shipwrecks nearly a millennium old, will have the Qing emblems on back; that narrows it from 16?? (I forget the year, maybe 1644) to 1911, when of course the Chinese Republic was formed. Those lacking Qing emblems may be earlier Chinese, or perhaps from a neighboring country.

Armed with Hartill, you will be in an excellent position to attribute them because Hartill does not suffer from the fate of Krause. You see, Krause periodically kicked certain issues out of its references, which is why older print versions are prized. So what you do not find in Krause, you are likely to find in Hartill. Happy researching and collecting, and feel free to post more coins if you need help with them.

If you want to drink from a fire hose and get rather good at this with some dispatch, find your local coin dealer's assortment bin of foreign coins. They will probably cost 20c apiece, give or take. Grab about twenty cashes that all have some difference (so you do not just get twenty of the same late Qing issue), buy them, take them home, and look them all up. It'll go slowly at first, but you'll improve quickly. Next best thing to free self-taught lessons.