• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone here collect Finnish coins?

14 posts in this topic

I'm coming back to collecting after a fairly long hiatus, and I'm finding precious little information on the interwebs regarding Finnish coin collecting.

If any of you collect coins of old Suomi, please list some helpful links to get me on my way.

Kiitos!

Welcome back. Will Jom, JamminJ, and TJ be just around the corner?

I wish I could help you with Finland resources, but it is a very under-collected country. Probably due to fairly unimaginative designs for most of the coinage. However, their modern commemoratives are usually visually appealing and they sell cheap. What time period are you focusing on? 

Here is my one Finnish coin. It is a specimen (proof) striking of a 1921-H Markka. 

83882762.jpg

I do have several Finnish coins in my files, but it's more the result of accidents of collecting (bulk lots) than any real intent.

I like Finnish coins, but I'm not sure of any good reference for them beyond Numista and Krause. My Finnish is limited (we had an exchange student), but I pronounce 'perrrrrrrrrrrrkele' relatively well.

I'm a big fan of Finland and Finnish coins.  I've never really collected them in an organized way so can't really help much except to say that I have the sense that most of these are  very difficult in Unc or Gem or even in higher circulated grades.  Some "seem" to even be difficult in typical condition but there are lots of typical coins in poundage for most of their series.  

This is an excellent choice for a collecting area since demand and supply are both low.  You get first chance  to acquire scarce coins at very favorable prices. 

A few of the post-1955 issues can be found in bulk and this especially applies to the low denomination coins but pristine and Gem specimens even among these can be quite scarce.  

Good luck.  It's great to see you!  

Edited by cladking

On 9/23/2020 at 9:59 AM, cladking said:

I'm a big fan of Finland and Finnish coins.  I've never really collected them in an organized way so can't really help much except to say that I have the sense that most of these are  very difficult in Unc or Gem or even in higher circulated grades.  Some "seem" to even be difficult in typical condition but there are lots of typical coins in poundage for most of their series.  

This is an excellent choice for a collecting area since demand and supply are both low.  You get first chance  to acquire scarce coins at very favorable prices. 

A few of the post-1955 issues can be found in bulk and this especially applies to the low denomination coins but pristine and Gem specimens even among these can be quite scarce.  

Good luck.  It's great to see you!  

Go. Travel. Cherrypick. I did that in the U.K. last December. Lots of really pristine stuff in circulation in the U.K.

It's good to be back in the collecting world, but maybe I've started in too obscure of an area. I, too, have learned to roll my Rs like a drunken Scotsman when saying, "perkele!", but I've found precious little in the way of available coins outside of the Bay or e. Karl Stephens doesn't seem to have much at this time.

Edited by shirohniichan1

47 minutes ago, shirohniichan1 said:

It's good to be back in the collecting world, but maybe I've started in too obscure of an area. I, too, have learned to roll my Rs like a drunken Scotsman when saying, "perkele!", but I've found precious little in the way of available coins outside of the Bay or e. Karl Stephens doesn't seem to have much at this time.

You can get an indication from the Heritage archives.  It shows 723 sales which includes when Finland was part of Russia, a noticeable proportion since independence only dates to 1917.

I didn't look at all 723 but practically every one over $1,000 is gold and not even one Republic non-circulation strike that isn't gold sold for over $1,000.  Except where the mintage was really low, I don't believe this coinage is likely scarce very often (probably almost never since most 20th century European coins are very common). The price level probably limits what's offered for sale in countries where it isn't noticeably collected.  This isn't unusual with other coinage either.

Edited by World Colonial

On 9/30/2020 at 10:27 PM, RWB said:

Maybe someone can recommend a good starter collection of Finnish coins....?

Start now or you'll never, umm, err, Finnish. :insane:

3 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Start now or you'll never, umm, err, Finnish. :insane:

Sounds fishy to me....