• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THIS SHOULD SHOW IT

27 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Hank the spank said:

Well PCGS just graded it at UA53, they dont even mention the E in ONE

Very disappointed

perhaps it has to do with how you submitted? I know that with NGC, you need to pay for the varietyplus or minterror service for most errors and varietys (except for uber popular ones) to be recognized...

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

57893554_3ff5_image_resized.jpg

Yeah, why is that significant?  I see it, I just don't see the significance of it. The N too. I see that also. Still don't see the significance. I'm sorry, I really am, but I'm on a "jihad" to stop all this "doubled this, doubled that" malarkey. And yes, that's right. I dropped the "M" bomb right here on this forum. That doubling shows each and every indication of mere strike doubling, and I'm getting a little fed up with people not learning the difference. Sorry, it's not a great day. I feel that all those YouTube jockeys out there obsessing over "doubling" are ruining this hobby. That's where I stand on this.

Edited by VKurtB

I can certainly see your point Kurt.

I think that YouTube plays a major part in this problem. You can go on their site any day and find numerous "found in change, Lincoln cent worth $1000.00 " type of posting that attracts people that until that time had no interest in collecting coins until they saw a "get rich easy" post. The problem is they don't do any research as to what is a genuine error or variety as opposed to something that has no value and find it easier to just throw something up on a coin website in the hopes they have something valuable without realising that  you have to search multiple thousands of coins to even find minor errors or a Double Die. Then when they realize what they have is worthless, nothing is heard from them again as they are more interested in making a quick buck as opposed to the hobby aspect. One of my pet peeves are the those whose first post is "what is it worth", not being interested in the history of the coin itself.

I'm not saying everyone is like that as we do have some "newbies" that are more interested in the coin collecting part of the hobby and are willing to learn and listen to what is said when they post a question. These are the collectors I think no one has a problem helping and will someday be helping others.

Edited by Greenstang

It would be a whole lot easier to take if it were only on places like this site, but it's not. The plethora of "get rich quick by scamming people" sellers on eBay is completely out of hand. Worthless coins being listed for multiple thousands of dollars. It's sickening. I think eBay needs to make listing more costly, perhaps. Something has to change, and quick.

Edited by VKurtB

17 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

I agree with Greenstang and VKurtB. Ebay should raise the cost of selling coins.

Maybe tie the listing price to the asking price on fixed price or BIN items? I wonder how often the guy selling a "rare" 1980 (P) SBA in AU for $6,000 would relist it. I messaged him and offered $1.50 for it. He was not pleased with me. To he77 with him and everyone like him.

Edited by VKurtB

Won't higher listing prices only cause sell prices to go up across the board for hucksters and honest individuals alike? Unless your end goal is to get buyers to look elsewhere. Local coin shop? In person auction? Doubtful. Higher prices will potentially push buyers toward other outlets, Etsy perhaps?:roflmao:

8 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Where did you get the idea that the E in ONE was in any way significant? Just curious.

because you dont see an E like that on pennys. PCGS didnt give me an explanation as ro how that came about..if you pay for an error coin

It should be graded as such or give an explanation

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

It would be a whole lot easier to take if it were only on places like this site, but it's not. The plethora of "get rich quick by scamming people" sellers on eBay is completely out of hand. Worthless coins being listed for multiple thousands of dollars. It's sickening. I think eBay needs to make listing more costly, perhaps. Something has to change, and quick.

I'm not out for a quick buck. I've been saving my coins for years to give to grandkids some day. All I asked for was an explanaton how it occurred, I'M STILL LEARNING and I appreciate your thoughts. 

You will always be learning. Consider this experience a lesson in coin grading. Get yourself a loupe and memorize the 5 rules of MODERN coin grading:

1.) Eye appeal (Poor, Fine, Neutral, Good, must be OUSTANDING)

2.)Mint Luster (must have all mint luster)

3.)Coloration (natural toning, no cleaned coins)

4.)Surface Preservation (No marks, scratches, scuffing, spots,  no dented rims, reeded coins must not show any wear, Lincoln memorial cents and Jefferson nickels MUST have full steps on reverse. The Eagle on the reverse of Washington quarters must show chest feathers, dimes must have full torch bands on the reverse.

5.) Strike (this includes mint error coins, doubled dies, etc.

-M

1 hour ago, Modwriter said:

You will always be learning. Consider this experience a lesson in coin grading. Get yourself a loupe and memorize the 5 rules of MODERN coin grading:

1.) Eye appeal (Poor, Fine, Neutral, Good, must be OUSTANDING)

2.)Mint Luster (must have all mint luster)

3.)Coloration (natural toning, no cleaned coins)

4.)Surface Preservation (No marks, scratches, scuffing, spots,  no dented rims, reeded coins must not show any wear, Lincoln memorial cents and Jefferson nickels MUST have full steps on reverse. The Eagle on the reverse of Washington quarters must show chest feathers, dimes must have full torch bands on the reverse.

5.) Strike (this includes mint error coins, doubled dies, etc.

-M

Thank you will do