• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommended item of interest - Gobrecht's design layout

6 posts in this topic

I'm not really qualified to make any kind of clever or insightful observation.  However, this kind of work always reinforces my admiration for the skill level required to hand-tool those dies way back in the day.

Rather than rotate the stars and date counterclockwise, wouldn't it have been easier to just rotate the bust clockwise to line up with the date, and move the stars in a bit?

3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Rather than rotate the stars and date counterclockwise, wouldn't it have been easier to just rotate the bust clockwise to line up with the date, and move the stars in a bit?

The portrait was also made smaller and revised slightly. If anyone could locate Gobrecht's personal papers, an answer might lie there.

On 9/21/2020 at 1:06 PM, Just Bob said:

Very late to this, but the correct answer seems to be that if it was done that way, then the obverse engraving would not be at the proper 180° die rotation to the reverse engraving. The way it was engraved allows for the portrait to be directly centered opposite the reverse design (which is the case for the Mature Head design, but not the Petite Head). In fact, the engraver originally started engraving off-center, and then scratched out that detail and started over. It might seem like the rotation shouldn't matter too much, but it points to the level of detail and effort put into making the model.

The Engraved "Mature Head" Large Cent Design Model – Rex Rarities

Edited by Rexford

"...rotate the bust....move the stars."  

I am very very late at this, granted, but here is what this procrastinating self-described rank amateur thinks.

I have yet to investigate the link thoughtfully provided by our highly esteemed OP, but have taken the liberty of reviewing Christian Gobrecht's impressive biography and inadvertently noted his death which occurred only a year after the controversy you have chosen to discuss.

Me thinks in the absence of a definitive explanation, those so inclined and equipped may want to investigate the state of his health, generally, as well as the cause of his death. In the quest for truth where symmetry, balance and proportion figure prominently, nothing should be ruled out.