• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What, exactly, happened to my 1902 Indian Cent?
1 1

35 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Insider said:

I have not seen an encasement transfer design into the mid-parts of a coin.  It's interesting to speculate the cause.  It's just a damaged coin to me.  :) 

Definitely damaged, but a good mystery to unravel in that the unraveling helps gain insight into the mechanics and the forces involved in coin, (exonumia, medal, etc) production. 

Though I did have to conclude that my original opinion was incorrect, the process involved in getting to that conclusion was educational and even a bit of fun. 

5 hours ago, Insider said:

''...'and what exactly is the ENCASEMET that the "O" and other marks came from?   "Clash Marks" can occur all over the place. 

You stated that "die clashes don't come on the relief - the deep part of the die". My response was just to make sure nobody misinterpreted this as fact because they "read it on the internet". Die clashes can and do occur on the relief. My reply had nothing to do with encasement - the "O" on mine and other Barber dimes I have seen is just a straight-up die clash from the reverse into the obverse relief (the "deep part of the die"). The encasement process described by the OP is an interesting explanation for this particular coin though.

18 hours ago, kbbpll said:

You stated that "die clashes don't come on the relief - the deep part of the die". My response was just to make sure nobody misinterpreted this as fact because they "read it on the internet". Die clashes can and do occur on the relief. My reply had nothing to do with encasement - the "O" on mine and other Barber dimes I have seen is just a straight-up die clash from the reverse into the obverse relief (the "deep part of the die"). The encasement process described by the OP is an interesting explanation for this particular coin though.

Let's see it.

1 hour ago, Insider said:

Let's see it.

I don't want to hijack the thread but you asked. Here is the O behind the ear, followed by overlay from maddieclashes. There's also clashing through the ribbon, under chin, and between 2 and bust could be clash or die chips. I've seen others on Heritage with O behind the ear but I'd have to dig around to find them again.

1892-P_Type1_obv.thumb.jpg.70b90113d635476ecac01767fa538e1f.jpg

Overlay:

clash_overlay.jpg.e19f0ff3a4e09e11e9d18cac77d4e5bd.jpg

Here is clashing in the island on a 1946 Canada dollar. Similar clashing is found in other years.

DSCF2936_opt_annotated.JPG.b5befc64fca4f2dffe0ac09886df470a.JPG

These aren't the deepest parts of the dies, but they're still on the relief.

2 hours ago, kbbpll said:

I don't want to hijack the thread but you asked. Here is the O behind the ear, followed by overlay from maddieclashes. There's also clashing through the ribbon, under chin, and between 2 and bust could be clash or die chips. I've seen others on Heritage with O behind the ear but I'd have to dig around to find them again.

1892-P_Type1_obv.thumb.jpg.70b90113d635476ecac01767fa538e1f.jpg

Overlay:

clash_overlay.jpg.e19f0ff3a4e09e11e9d18cac77d4e5bd.jpg

Here is clashing in the island on a 1946 Canada dollar. Similar clashing is found in other years.

DSCF2936_opt_annotated.JPG.b5befc64fca4f2dffe0ac09886df470a.JPG

These aren't the deepest parts of the dies, but they're still on the relief.

Interesting, and Thanks!  I'm going to be looking for one of those dimes.