• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking opinions on the background for some photos
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Do you find this background too busy, distracting, or otherwise bothersome due to the color and/or writing?  I have for many years used a dark blue background and while that is very neutral but dark coins like large cents seem to disappear on that.  And I was thinking this was a way to show the coins in my 7070 album without having to say that the coin is in my album, too much or ok.

1837c-Comp.jpg

At first - I didn't care for it, a bit busy for me. But with the darker colored coins, they stand out better. What about the lighter color coins??? I'll have to see of the 7070 grows on me - or not.

Nope. The photo should emphasize the coin - nothing else. Neutral white, gray or black are best, but some prefer dark blue or red for silver and gold respectively. Colorized/painted coins should be placed on the most distracting background possible. This gives the viewer something to stare at while pretending to admire the crayon-mess-of-a-coin.

:)

Edited by RWB

Yea I prefer solid colors that show the coin better. Anything else is just a distraction. Except maybe a little info text. 

Edited by bsshog40

Reply deleted due to a pronounced lack of surgical precision members frequenting this site have grown used to and become accustomed to.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Intimidation

25 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Try some backgrounds without numerals or other items.  Maybe?

Well, let's see... those who are not of the Caucasian persuasion will take offense at the mere suggestion of blacking out a background some have described as the "rambling nonsense" I have produced on occasion and, without knowing which thirty-seven have adopted the religious doctrine, "Thou shalt ignore those who have incited you to mutter incoherently under your breath," it will be impossible to determine with a degree of scientific certainty who among those with an aggregate 150-plus years of professional numismatic experience you may have inexplicably gotten to agree with you.  Anybody in the market for gaudy psychedelic slabs?

One notable difference between the OP's image and those from some TPGs is that there is no drop shadow surrounding the coins. The shadow separates the coin from background, and omission allows the background detail to stick into the coin. Here's a drop shadow added to only the reverse.

Image2.jpg

Edited by RWB