• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dad and I sorting old Pennies. Looks bronze

9 posts in this topic

20200918_022300.thumb.jpg.7aaf9094560094176b23902f575f44be.jpgMe and my dad were sorting his old coins and came across a 194? Something wpenny. The last digit looks like it was not printed, or faded. Its  not magnetic. I saw a picture online of a penny I beleive that the rare  penny I saw was a 1943 bronze shell casing penny and had a description of this - (Important 1943 Cent Struck in a Bronze Alloy A New Discovery) 

Also noticed in back of our penny some of the letters are lighter. For example the AME on the AMERICA is lighter and also  is the O on the ONE looks like struck lighter. I have many pictures let me know what I should do. Thanks

20200918_022235.jpg

Edited by Delande
Better picture

this not a 1943 bronze cent. No one would ever buy it as such without TPG certification, and that is unlikely.

The coin shows a lot of wear and evidence of weak strike or grease filled die. It is a well worn wheat cent worth 2 or 3 cents,sorry.

1 hour ago, James_OldeTowne said:

It looks like a cleaned cent to me.

Lol how did you know? Yeah we rinsed it off. It was differnt colors like blue, green, red and couldnt see the detail. But didnt think the coin was really had any potential. It wss just a cool coin with faded last digit. Thanks for looking at our coin thoe. 

1 hour ago, Delande said:

Lol how did you know? Yeah we rinsed it off. It was differnt colors like blue, green, red and couldnt see the detail. But didnt think the coin was really had any potential. It wss just a cool coin with faded last digit. Thanks for looking at our coin thoe. 

The color is the tell for cleaning.

Delande - Great that you and your Dad were doing something interesting together! Keep it up!

:)

RE: "I saw a picture online of a penny I beleive that the rare  penny I saw was a 1943 bronze shell casing penny and had a description of this - (Important 1943 Cent Struck in a Bronze Alloy A New Discovery)"

Cents made from recycled shell casings look exactly like any other 95% copper 4.5+% zinc, trace of tin cents. Fresh copper was added to the brass to bring it to legal specifications.

Edited by RWB

15 hours ago, RWB said:

Cents made from recycled shell casings look exactly like any other 95% copper 4.5+% zinc, trace of tin cents. Fresh copper was added to the brass to bring it to legal specifications.

Thank you, RWB, thank you. So many times I have argued with people who claim they can see a difference in "shell casing pennies". It drives me nuts

33 minutes ago, Moxie15 said:

Thank you, RWB, thank you. So many times I have argued with people who claim they can see a difference in "shell casing pennies". It drives me nuts

This is discussed on pages 110-113 of my book on WW-II Pattern and Experimental pieces.

Edited by RWB