• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 steel penny rotated die
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,  came across this and thought I would share. I'm trying to figure out exact how many degrees this is rotated. I was hoping someone might know. Thanks 

20200917_161655.jpg

20200917_161624.jpg

The Obverse is not perfectly straight so that will make the rotation even less. Without checking it, In would say that it is about a 10° rotation. Not enough to add any value but a keeper as an example.

45 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

The Obverse is not perfectly straight so that will make the rotation even less. Without checking it, In would say that it is about a 10° rotation. Not enough to add any value but a keeper as an example.

Thank you greenstang,   I have another one but the reverse is going the other way. Does that make a difference. Just wondering. 

...but...maybe it was the obverse die that rotated in the press....? Or.....maybe....the press got unbolted from the floor and everything rotated...?

Hmmmmm. Numistmatics is komplekated.

16 hours ago, James_OldeTowne said:

To my frequently wrong eye, it looks like more than 10 degrees - perhaps 20?  But it isn't worth really anything more than base value.

It is a very nice wheatie.👍