• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here's a series that will drive classic collectors and stackers nuts
1 1

25 posts in this topic

Just for all the old fogies (classic collectors) and stackers. I wonder how these could be slabbed. With all the hype about the mints new colorized coins. Take it a bit further with these Ultra (Ultra) high relief coins. A couple of the earlier peaks are sold out. So hurry and be the first on your block to own...

thought I'd add some levity to the forum. Flame away!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Zebo

Jeepers, those are weird.

I'm not a fan of the odd shapes (modern sport coins, even colorized pieces) of these coins. I suppose I'll just stick with classic stuff.

36 minutes ago, James_OldeTowne said:

Huh, I had no idea such a thing even existed!  I wonder accurate / what kind of resolution those miniatures offer?

I think the resolution is good. This is the same company that is doing a lot of interesting coins. They are at the World Money Fair (Berlin). Below is another one of their coins.

image.jpg

image.jpg

45 minutes ago, World Colonial said:

I have seen objects (wouldn't even call it coins) like that before.  It's another gimmick.

I like them better than the colorized basketball issue the mint just came out with. At least they are interesting. In the end, however - I just a classics guy.

I don't know.  I think it's things like this that get the younger collectors interested.  When I didn't know the first thing about collecting, I was all about MS69 and PF69 silver eagles.  I had to have every slab that NGC deemed fit to put out there.  It got me interested.  But as I started researching more and reading more, I realized what an egregious mistake I had made chasing labels instead of coins.  That being said, my interest in collecting was stoked.  Now I collect what some here may deem "more appropriate" coins, ie peace dollars, mercury dimes, etc.  I darn near had a full set of Italian 1 lire coins, which is a far cry from MS69 eagles. 

So I say if it gets younger folks more interested in the hobby, then more power to them.  And to be frank, some of the stuff these mints put out under the guise of coins I regard more as works of art.  I mean, the knight coin posted above is beautiful in an artful way, if not a numismatic way.  

22 minutes ago, RWB said:

Scratch 'n' Sniff coins.

That's been done.  Benin did a scratch and sniff marijuana leaf coin in 2010 and the Solomon Islands did a pizza coin in 2016.

32 minutes ago, Morpheus1967 said:

I don't know.  I think it's things like this that get the younger collectors interested.  When I didn't know the first thing about collecting, I was all about MS69 and PF69 silver eagles.  I had to have every slab that NGC deemed fit to put out there.  It got me interested.  But as I started researching more and reading more, I realized what an egregious mistake I had made chasing labels instead of coins.  That being said, my interest in collecting was stoked.  Now I collect what some here may deem "more appropriate" coins, ie peace dollars, mercury dimes, etc.  I darn near had a full set of Italian 1 lire coins, which is a far cry from MS69 eagles. 

So I say if it gets younger folks more interested in the hobby, then more power to them.  And to be frank, some of the stuff these mints put out under the guise of coins I regard more as works of art.  I mean, the knight coin posted above is beautiful in an artful way, if not a numismatic way.  

That's part of the reason I put these posts out there. They may appeal to someone (young or old) and they are different. If it gets anyone interested in coins - it's a good thing. And they do attract conversation. 

As as far as the knight coin goes - that is the first king of the Isle of Man - good legend - and one that I own. I'm part Manx so it has some meaning along with being a neat looking coin (piece of art). 

Edited by Zebo

40 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

That's been done.  Benin did a scratch and sniff marijuana leaf coin in 2010 and the Solomon Islands did a pizza coin in 2016.

If we have true aspirations to become a "Third World Country," as the present executive wishes, then the U.S. Mint has to churn out more of this kind of fodder.

1 hour ago, Conder101 said:

I regret selling this one.  It was a conversation starter - but in the slab you couldn't fully appreciate its scent.  ;)

2010_Benin_CannabisSativa_100CFAFrancs_N

1 hour ago, Zebo said:

That's part of the reason I put these posts out there. They may appeal to someone (young or old) and they are different. If it gets anyone interested in coins - it's a good thing. And they do attract conversation. 

As as far as the knight coin goes - that is the first king of the Isle of Man - good legend - and one that I own. I'm part Manx so it has some meaning along with being a neat looking coin (piece of art). 

I agree.  I actually really like the knight coin - it probably should be classified as a medal, but it's still cool, and big! :headbang:

9 hours ago, Zebo said:

I like them better than the colorized basketball issue the mint just came out with. At least they are interesting. In the end, however - I just a classics guy.

It depends upon the coin.  Have you seen the 2013 Canada $50 Dimond Jubilee commemorative?  It's the one replicating  a painting showing the queen seated in one of her residences holding a scepter.  The obverse is the Gillick portrait.  I actually like that one.

I agree with you on the basketball coin though, more junk.

29 minutes ago, World Colonial said:

It depends upon the coin.  Have you seen the 2013 Canada $50 Dimond Jubilee commemorative?  It's the one replicating  a painting showing the queen seated in one of her residences holding a scepter.  The obverse is the Gillick portrait.  I actually like that one.

I agree with you on the basketball coin though, more junk.

Nice coin

If the mountain coins are actually models of the real thing, that’s kinda neat. If they’re generic shapes, it’s a big “nope”. I want some calderas, dammit. Do Mt. Saint Helens with a sliding “before and after”. (: And it knocks down the pile on your carpets. 

7 hours ago, Conder101 said:

They're having problems with the heat source.

They're doing amazing things with [air quotes] laaaazers these days.

See the source image

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/17/2020 at 1:31 PM, Conder101 said:

wouldn't that be match and smoke?:devil: