• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Jefferson DDO, DDR
1 1

10 posts in this topic

This Nickel seems to exhibit doubling on both sides. The S in STATES almost actually looks tripled.  Please zoom in on both the obverse and reverse (on the full front and back photos of this coin I supplied) to see the full extent of doubling. I can supply more close up photos if you would like. Thank you. 

7B2A3039-2169-4393-88AC-2F03CC65783F.jpeg

D251BB49-97E0-4AC3-8BAD-C635BFD29A37.jpeg

E769294C-68CD-4887-8C23-0080095E634B.jpeg

241D9E65-F0C2-46F2-9EF1-59F2FCCA1FDA.jpeg

Can an informative expert on Jefferson’s please respond to this post....,,, I’m not begging but (ok... yes...I’m begging.. lol) because I am completely confused at what this coin is exhibiting other than a tremendous amount of doubling and who knows what else...... Thanks!

1 minute ago, Just Bob said:

This looks like an extreme case of die erosion, with what may be some strike doubling thrown in for good measure.

DANG!!!!  Thank you for responding. As you know I am a Lincoln searcher Bob. I came across this Jefferson today in a few bank rolls of nickels I had. The entire coin shows weird stuff but I saw what I believed to be doubling on the date and especially on the LLO of Monticello..... particularly the O.  

I know this is not a “gem” of a coin as this thing has seen more than it’s fair share of denim pant pockets but I thought I may have come across something unique......  I’ve just never seen any coin with oddities on the obverse and reverse such as this. 

Have to agree with Just Bob on this one Greg. Extreme Die Erosion. The  letters and numbers are too deformed to be caused by anything else. Also look under the 2 on your last photo, you can see flow lines running to the rim caused by the erosion.

Thank you guys for your replies. I had just never seen anything quite like this before with so much deformity on the majority of the coin. Better luck next time.........