• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1988 - P dime die clash
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Just curious does die clashes have to be major in order for it to be really valuable. Because I put a few really minor ones in my collection just to say I  have them. I'm also wondering if the have to be certain dates. This one is under his chin. Thanks 

20200916_125558.jpg

20200916_125705.jpg

20200916_125812.jpg

7 hours ago, Hinkle said:

Just curious does die clashes have to be major in order for it to be really valuable.

Generally speaking, yes. It also helps if the coin is uncirculated. Error collecting is a pretty narrow field, so the value is often dependent on who is in the market for a certain type, and how bad they want it.

18 hours ago, Hinkle said:

Just curious does die clashes have to be major in order for it to be really valuable

Yes, clashes which aren't seriously major are just way too common to have any significant premium.

There are some exceptions, such as when clashes identify a particularly rare die-state (think: early copper, early half-dollars and dollars).  In some cases as well, a huge or grotesque clashed die appeals to some collectors and will pull in a good premium, such as for capped-bust halves with "gills" on the portrait (clashed with the shield on the reverse).

James brings up an interesting point that I did not consider in my earlier post. If the clash is prominent and in an interesting spot,  and can be given a catchy name, like on the "Bugs Bunny" Franklin half dollar, then it will often  bring a premium. Being common actually works in the coin's (or the seller's) favor, in this case.