• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some help

11 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, King T said:

Ok thanks.. I work at a convenient store and come across a lot of change. When I saw this I had to have it lol

Was this in the cash register? I am curious as to what value in US Dollars was placed on it if it was spent.

No not spent as change. A guy just came in and said he was working on a old house and came across it.. I bought it from him because I'd never seen one before.obviously didn't know what it was but as a collector I knew it was a rarity for me. Figured I wouldn't come across a coin like that often.

I would just put it in a holder and keep it.  It is a nice coin, but it would cost way more than the coin is worth to have it graded.  What I would do is spend the money it would have cost to grade it on another coin!

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

King George V died in January of 1936, but by British custom the late monarch's portrait was retained until the following year. Just as all the tooling was ready to make dies for his successor, Edward VIII, the latter abdicated in December, and the Royal Mint had to start over again with new hubs and dies for George VI. These weren't ready for several months, so your penny may have been struck early in '37.

30 minutes ago, DWLange said:

King George V died in January of 1936, but by British custom the late monarch's portrait was retained until the following year. Just as all the tooling was ready to make dies for his successor, Edward VIII, the latter abdicated in December, and the Royal Mint had to start over again with new hubs and dies for George VI. These weren't ready for several months, so your penny may have been struck early in '37.

That "strikes" me as a good story.