• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd Obverse , help how this couls happen

9 posts in this topic

X5iVajHHuVKo8iuzarU09HvODseXmwgTdVx8XM-sqJB6Vt5FrqiJfpq9Pn_k6b1Y8ic6UYchtGAo5l7O2qkF2EH1tuClJfN627AHpiTta5x9owlGUHCzirUWzZ33OYg8BFPujkcuZjvV2RMTlrN2sg26K5ClsYlz_Qt8xEdNFbnO77NosNsQhwMc0NURmMKkHF_38LUgAafOIM3yEFNRQwc0HCvPLjedS0bXXuABkIYwPlbCwcEzHlBZWH-VjnvUvn3ujLnHAarUtSp6_jHeTnQF_daEprl1FAEEzvBfhiukRHYIbZz61qNOMXVLin4ojXVs_--5mtwX4nDEwcEWkvey9FgmyGkn1lrbdMrIHOiL_PzTGav7L4fxE3lhR9I3BfHn7wn8jOLdf9ftFZgyN2Ozzb5IA8bzUcbEtXiRNPU6Hne0j0t9bJLaAr_PZj76hmqgAhGiyxiyh9B9Gd46cA9rvZxD_7QZ1BVAdPl5YIvn0Jc_hHygDwTZhkWqEIus4cSzSCnVMzOEPX9jLNtMwAQD5sy5WXQYExFwMzi1c3gnOBoyAjj547h1GWPgUeoTOD5pcV_UJ7GUl-ttbq8TroxahEQAv280Sow-7_hiSNb5JaCH7_t1cT207Ui6HwytqATij8oq-guElxcBXAB5Azxv4U-gdEdf3PRcjHTJZMOTUzBNE-MldlcqJ8ht=w931-h937-no?authuser=0

I have heard all kinds of explanations for this coin and I would just be interested in hearing any and all opinions as to what people think could have caused this perfect reverse imprint. Thanks for any imput on this.

Another coin was placed on top of this coin and pressed into it, maybe done intentionally or by accident.  Another theory would be an overstrike but I'm skeptical of that option, or at least of that option having happened at the mint. 

I agree with the above, but I believe considerable time in contact with both coins and a corrosive liquid. I don't think pressure alone explains this.

I cannot seem to find the other discussions you mentioned above. I am just very curious about this coin. I like the corrosive theory but if a liquid was in contact why would it only corrode the one cent and no other details ? 

1 hour ago, Ray, USMC said:

I cannot seem to find the other discussions you mentioned above. I am just very curious about this coin. I like the corrosive theory but if a liquid was in contact why would it only corrode the one cent and no other details ? 

If you look closely, you can see the image of the wreath around "ONE CENT."

It isn't an error. It is post-mint damage.