• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2020 West Point SilverAmerican Eagle Mint Mark Question

36 posts in this topic

I recently purchased an NGC graded Silver American Eagle 2020 coin.  I purchased it on eBay and the listing said the coin was minted at West Point.  I received the coin today and it came graded in it's case and labeled as a West Point coin.  I cannot find the W on the obverse side of the coin under the branch where a mint mark would normally be.  Can anyone help?  I'd like to know if I am missing something or is someone pulling a fast one.  I want to ask here first before I reach out to the dealer. Thanks!

All the 2020 bullion ASE's were minted in West Point except for a relatively small number that were struck in Philadelphia while West Point was closed briefly due to the Corona virus.  None of the bullion coins carry a mintmark no matter where they are struck.  So if it isn't in a slab that says 2020 (P) emergency issue, it was struck in West Point.

The only ASE's that have a "W" mint mark on them are the burnished ones. If on the label the mint mark is displayed in parenthesis (W) that means it was minted at West Point but there is no mint mark on the coin, same with (P) and (S), no mint marks on the coin if labeled in that way. You're looking for an ASE labeled 2020-W, no parenthesis, a coin labeled as such should have a "W" mint mark. 

The burnished ASE's are prepared differently and are not given a MS grade by PCGS, they will be labeled SP. I believe NGC has been labeling the 2020 burnished ASE's as MS though.

Confusing enough for you?

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

There are two camps on the "with parentheses" (S), (W), and (P) ASE's. Some people believe they are a legitimate variety and include them in a "Full Set". Other people believe that a non-mintmarked ASE is all the same thing because they cannot be discerned outside the slab, and the whole thing is BS (bullsnot). I am in the second camp. If there's no mintmark there, it's not a S, W, or anything else.

At West Point Mint there's a little old guy who glues on all the "W" mintmarks. He was ill this spring - he got the "Dos Equis Virus" in the large "19 Litre Posse Size" and was unavailable for a couple of weeks. While he was out, the mintmarks were omitted. Read it on the internet so it must be true.

22 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Other people believe that a non-mintmarked ASE is all the same thing because they cannot be discerned outside the slab,

I'm in that group as well.

On 9/16/2020 at 12:07 PM, BessieJ said:

This post is very good and useful guys. Thanks for writing such beautiful articles. It gives multiple knowledge and the main interesting thing is that you can share your feeling here.

Yeah, that is exactly why this forum was created: so a bunch of old guys could come together and share their feelings.

7 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Yeah, that is exactly why this forum was created: so a bunch of old guys could come together and share their feelings.

We’re old guys. We don’t do “feeeeelings”. Ask our wives. 

I bought a few (p) ase's....all reasonably priced........but paying hundreds for a coin without discernible markings makes it just another ase not worth buying....that being said, I paid for a ms69 rating too me,near perfect, if not, perfect condition. Within itself will be worth having for awhile.

On 9/18/2020 at 11:52 AM, Just Bob said:

I feel young here and I'm 62. lol I'm guessing 70s, 80s, and RWB must be 100 years old.😎

On 10/13/2020 at 1:03 AM, Modwriter said:

Yeah, it is different being here and sober.

I'm always sober except for very specific occasions. Thanksgiving, Kentucky Derby Day (bourbon), trips to Scotland (scotch whisky) (note: no 'e'), Napa Valley trips, Bordeaux trips, etc. Pennsylvania makes passable hooch, and my new place is going to be about 40 miles from the Jack Daniels distillery, but in Huntsville, I've seen in-laws polish off full cases of Bud Light during a half of a Crimson Tide game.

On 10/12/2020 at 10:04 PM, rocket23 said:

update on the (emergency issue) (p) coins..........well this guy says it better than me....

Item 1 - NEVER EVER believe that anything in the nature of a coin sale on TV is reasonably priced. None are... EVER. They are always grossly overpriced.

Item 2 - I'm 65, but my 1st ex-wife says I was a unfeeling bas-something. And that was in my 40's. (My 2nd ex-wife is now my current wife, again.)

Item 3 - I suspect Bud Light is complete swill, so I don't play in that pool. I never had the pleasure of drinking cheap beer because "it was there". I have always been a "quality snob" on most things. I don't do "meh", in food, alcohol, women, or coins.

45 minutes ago, rocket23 said:

Interesting. But I reserve being snobby with only life’s inequities. 

Life's inequities are so endemic to the human experience that I consider working on them a complete waste of time. Strive for excellence where you can affect it, and let the rest fall where it may.

52 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Life's inequities are so endemic to the human experience that I consider working on them a complete waste of time. Strive for excellence where you can affect it, and let the rest fall where it may.

Believe me I’m a golfer I hear what you’re saying 😂 

2 hours ago, rocket23 said:

Believe me I’m a golfer I hear what you’re saying 😂 

I had to give up golfing, I was always the one in the group that would break or throw my clubs, irons and putters after a bad swing. I did get a hole in one on a 3 par. Bounced it off a palm tree and it bounced and rolled into the cup. I didn't get to see it because I was spinning and throwing my iron. Somebody in my group said it went in and I was like no fing way. Sure enough.  

12 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Item 1 - NEVER EVER believe that anything in the nature of a coin sale on TV is reasonably priced. None are... EVER. They are always grossly overpriced.

Item 2 - I'm 65, but my 1st ex-wife says I was a unfeeling bas-something. And that was in my 40's. (My 2nd ex-wife is now my current wife, again.)

Item 3 - I suspect Bud Light is complete swill, so I don't play in that pool. I never had the pleasure of drinking cheap beer because "it was there". I have always been a "quality snob" on most things. I don't do "meh", in food, alcohol, women, or coins.

Item1-I agree!

Item 2-Im on my second wife. We knew each other in high school, ran with the same gang of dope smoking spicoli like surfers. I just gave up my beloved ol no 7 for her. My first wife wanted me to stop partying but I wasnt ready in my 20s.

Item 3-Whaaat? You never been to a kegger party? The worst beer I ever had was some Mexican beer that tasted like pp on a Baja surf expedition back in the 70s.

Edited by Modwriter
Edit