• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Idea on 1855-C Gold Dollar Grade

18 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Newb to the board here, relatively long-term gold / silver bug, and enjoy some collectibles.  Many years ago, I acquired a handful of 1850s gold dollars.  One of them turned out to be a pretty rare 1855-C.  The coin condition is "pretty poor" in my very unexperienced opinion, so I haven't taken the time to consider getting it graded.  After doing a little more research on the recently graded coins, I came to realize that maybe I am wrong in my opinion.  In order to help me get an idea of the category of coin to submit this under (or whether it is even worth it), can you please give me an idea of what range this may grade in?  Should I submit in the "Ask NGC" section of the forum?

1855c(b).thumb.JPG.947d6178d46b4877cf85c5a3a94febc9.JPG1855c(a).thumb.JPG.44cd7c9a491b66ce229d9a5d537e7f7d.JPG

Here is the site that has some recently graded coins that I'm referencing - https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1855-c-g-1/7533 

Thank you!

Edited by Andrey Shvetsov
Added link

I'm not convinced it is a fake, but it has been mounted for use as jewelry which will GREATLY hurt the value if it is real.  If it hadn't been damaged /mounted in that condition it might have been a 2000 to 2400 coin.  With the damage and mounting, if it is real, maybe $600.  The a guesses on the value nothing exact.

Well I don't know that is a counterfeit for sure but the surfaces look strange as I have not seen gold coins with pitted surfaces before.  Also your statement "Luckily I did not pay much for it" also gives me pause about the authenticity of the coin.  But I'm not a gold coin expert and have had limited exposure to C mint gold so hopefully another member with more experience in this area can help out.

Edited by Coinbuf

I too question if it is genuine. The strike looks strange to me and the date is very strong for what is commonly a very soft and poorly struck area. I see addition questionable areas on the obverse as well. 

I very collectible issue with a low survival rate. Don't take my word for it - but I believe it is fake.

Edited by Zebo
Typo -

Thank you all for your input.  I sincerely appreciate it.  From your responses, I'm thinking the best course of action for me would be to get an initial idea on the authenticity by measuring it.  What is an acceptable amount of weight for this coin to be "missing"?  5%?  If it measures within the acceptable specs to rule out an obvious fake, I will consider sending it in.

Would NGC grade a damaged coin?  Conder101's estimate of $600 would make it worth grading.

2 hours ago, Andrey Shvetsov said:

Thank you all for your input.  I sincerely appreciate it.  From your responses, I'm thinking the best course of action for me would be to get an initial idea on the authenticity by measuring it.  What is an acceptable amount of weight for this coin to be "missing"?  5%?  If it measures within the acceptable specs to rule out an obvious fake, I will consider sending it in.

Would NGC grade a damaged coin?  Conder101's estimate of $600 would make it worth grading.

The diameter should be 15mm target weight was 1.67 grams, yes as long as NGC determines the coin to be authentic but damaged they will grade and slab it with a details grade.

Again, thank you all for chiming in.  I dug up this lot of coins I bought around the 2006/7 timeframe.  I was not into numismatics at the time and would not pay the premium so I'm sure I paid <$100 for each of these.  The coins in the lot were: 1851, 1852, 1854, 1855 and the 1855S.  They weighed / measured right on so I'm leaning towards them being real.  The 1855S has a weird color to it, so I see how it can look fake.  Also the date is very strong unlike most of these coins.  Are the others worth grading?

1855s3.thumb.jpg.1f5f1ab0dd10faa8c20e515da88fb082.jpg

1855s2.thumb.jpg.100cc1a8b7ecb820886f8b25c707f605.jpg

I don't see an 1855 S.  I do see an 1855 C which would definitely be worth slabbing even though its an ex-jewelry, damaged coin.  The other 1855, also an ex-jewelry piece looks to me to be a Philadelphia coin.  I'm not sure whether or not it and the other three would be worth slabbing,  The 55 maybe because it is a type 2,  Not sure about doing the 52 or 54, probably not on the 51.

Oh the 55 C is the same coin as in the OP.

Edited by Conder101

The first coloring of the 55-c looked cast - the newer picture however I am not seeing anything that out right says its fake. A lot of wear and 

environmental damage and graffiti but Charlottes do not come across too often. Send that in. Details coin do pretty well in the open market. 

This coin if were to sell would do fine in a details grade NGC/PCGS holder. Could you post actual size and weight of the 55-c