• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you have any clashed die coins to share?

10 posts in this topic

On 9/15/2020 at 12:05 PM, RWB said:

Which means its one of the earliest internally-created fakes on record.

I never thought of it that way but you are probably correct. Have you ever ran into any mint records on the topic?

There are a few records mentioning "blanked dies" which was the mint's term for "clashed dies." But nothing to offer any excuse for a cent to have part of a DE outline on it. Mixing of planchets was impossible - the mint did not work on cents at the same time as gold or silver. In fact each metal was in exclusive use for days or even weeks. That avoided possible contamination/ mixing. The only reasonable explanation is deliberate damage to cent (and DE) dies.

On 9/15/2020 at 8:10 AM, ldhair said:

Lets see what you have. I'll start it off.

This one is fun. The obverse die from the FE cent was clashed with the obverse die from the $20 gold piece.

Liberty's profile goes thru the word AMERICA.

Funny you would post one of the clashed dies - I just yesterday cataloged a trio of Flying Eagles, clashed with the $20, the half-dollar and the quarter.

On 9/18/2020 at 9:20 AM, James_OldeTowne said:

Funny you would post one of the clashed dies - I just yesterday cataloged a trio of Flying Eagles, clashed with the $20, the half-dollar and the quarter.

That's cool. Before the CPG came out, I was able to pick them up all the time.

This is the quarter clashed cent and the matching quarter.

23.jpg

22.jpg

18.jpg

17.jpg