• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1903 Mexico Peso no reserve rotation?

13 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Okay, if you insist. News to me.

I doubt the genuineness of this coin. But it's graded by the number one coin agency in China. So I am little confused. Thank you for your quick reply>

Just now, Dog1958 said:

I doubt the genuineness of this coin. But it's graded by the number one coin agency in China. So I am little confused. Thank you for your quick reply>

Not to put too obvious of a point on it, but I trust absolutely nothing Chinese in numismatics. I even refuse to buy their panda coins. I doubt the genuineness of the coin, too.

Nearly all of my Mexican 8-reales are in coin alignment, but I have an 1837 that has a rotated die that is nearly in medal alignment.  So it's possible, but not likely.  Have you tested the coin with a magnet?  Many Chinese counterfeits are made from steel, so that would be an easy first test for this one.  I'm also suspicious as any reputable grading company would have noted the die rotation on the holder, though TPGs make mistakes at time too.

I am not aware of any "peso fuerte" minted with medal alignment instead of coin alignment.  So I have 2 potential options: it is either fake, or the rarest variety for the series. I spent some time just now looking to few of the 1903 from Mexico City and all I saw was coin alignment. 

Edited by Abuelo's Collection
Typo

As you noted it is the coin called "Peso Fuerte" or "Peso Porfiriano", from 1898 to 1909, if you flip the coin 180 degrees from this:

image.png.13e16bc10c8cec86072a89194c098283.png

The reverse shoud view like this:

image.png.1940d487662aee447706187cc398e60d.png

HTH.-

Edited by ELuis