• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1996-D penny error
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm not for sure on this one , if it is damaged or a mint error. If this took a hit through circulation, than that was a even hit. But I'm looking at the crease and lines on Lincoln's coat and thinking it was a mint error. Idk, maybe you can let me know more about it. Thanks 

20200914_133729.jpg

20200914_133556.jpg

20200914_133524.jpg

1 hour ago, Coinbuf said:

Could be a strike thru, could be a scratch, cannot say for sure from the photo.

Hi Coinbuf, what's a better option to get a better photo. Should I zoom in on my scope and get a better close up. Idk if that will work but it might. Thanks 

That is an interesting coin. 

You can see it, so tell us...

1. Is it into the coin or raised above it?

2. what do you think could have made the mark?

Edited for typoing...again

Edited by Moxie15

43 minutes ago, Moxie15 said:

That is an interesting coin. 

You can see it, so tell us...

1. Is it into the coin or raised above it?

2. what do you think could have made the mark?

Edited for typoing...again

True, sorry for that, yes it's in the coin not raised. So that would have taken a hit through circulation right. It's just odd the way it looks and how it goes from collar straight down perfectly on the back. Hmmm 

The thing I cannot tell from the pics is if there is a raised edge where field meets the valley or is it just flat then down into the valley.  My first thought was a scratch but it looks deep enough that I would also expect to see some silver from the zinc below, so just not sure.

Couldn't something have hit it, or pressed into it, rather than scratch it, and could the plating have stretched enough to not be torn? Looks like a dent, to me.

Edited by Just Bob

3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Couldn't something have hit it, or pressed into it, rather than scratch it, and could the plating have stretched enough to not be torn? Looks like a dent, to me.

it could have, Do you think it is damage, Bob?

3 hours ago, Moxie15 said:

it could have, Do you think it is damage, Bob?

I do, but I am going by two fuzzy pictures, so I may be mistaken. It looks like the line goes from the collar to the rim.

55 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I do, but I am going by two fuzzy pictures, so I may be mistaken. It looks like the line goes from the collar to the rim.

Your right bob, I didn't see that. Good eye. And it matches with the line. Maybe I need to scope the coin's better. My bad.