• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1927 NGC MS62 "star designation" POP 1?

21 posts in this topic

hello,  i sent in a batch of coins a while back and one that i thought would grade well came back only as an MS62 with the star designation.  I was shocked when the population number said only 1 star designated coin was out there for this grade.  I looked at the entire range of grades for the 1927 philly PEACE dollar  and across all grades there was only 1 star?   Did this turn my coin into a rarity?  The coin is a beauty and it has almost mirror like (almost proof i think) reflective surfaces.  It just seems odd there is only 1 though.  any thoughts??  thanks

The "Star" designation means "exceptional eye appeal", while it may mean that the coin could sell for above the list price compared to a coin of the same grade, I wouldn't consider it a rarity.  The "Star" designation is 100% subjective.

If you can, post some pics of the coin, sounds like a beauty. 

The term "rarity" gets tossed around many times where it should not.  As the only * grade for that date your coin is unique but not rare, and as mentioned it will likely help it to sell for above market for that grade.  How much above market is anyone's guess and will depend on several factors, registry score is one of those factors.  In looking at the scores for this date a * score is the same as the score for a 62+, so in general I would expect your coin to sell at or around the same price a 62+ coin does.  Now if you are lucky and the right two bidders come together at the same time, or someone wants it because they are trying for an all * set, then you could see a higher price for it.

2 minutes ago, Paul Hills said:

i tried to add the ngc photos but it says they are html files....i have no clue what that is

You have saved the files incorrectly.

yeah, im not sure what im doing? it doesnt give me any other options of file types.   the ngc pics dont really show any of the mirror look of the coin at all.  it is a blazer in hand  the cert number is 2105286-040 ms62

"Population numbers" are of no use at all. They have no relationship to availability or quality among coins we collectors might buy or sell.

2 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Yep, that's a beauty. I'm surprised they gave it a "star" (glad they did) without any of the toning that people seem to go crazy for. Must really look great in hand. 

yeah it looks alot more like a proof than any other peace i have seen   what i cant figure out is why no other 1927 philly peace dollars have gotten a star across all other grades???  how is that possible with so many thousands out there  it would be impossible to put together any kind of star set it seems

also, some of you helped guide me toward the correct lights for coin photos.  i have 3 more vintage OTT lites coming (which will give me 4) and i have a light box setup im going to try to make work.  I will try to take photos of this coin to show the POW 

Very nice uncirculated coin; likely better than the "MS-62" numbers assigned.

However, it does not look anything like a proof. I've never seen a legitimate PL Peace dollar.

On 9/14/2020 at 7:14 PM, RWB said:

Very nice uncirculated coin; likely better than the "MS-62" numbers assigned.

However, it does not look anything like a proof. I've never seen a legitimate PL Peace dollar.

I have never seen one either, at least not with truly mirrored fields.  However, I did own one that, in-hand, was the closest to prooflike that I've ever seen.  This was many years ago and I got a substantial premium for it.  If memory serves, it was one of the ultra-common dates - 1923 maybe?

16 hours ago, jgrinz said:

I am not a PEACE lover :-) … but I like this coin 

"All we are saaaaaaaayinnngggg, is give..." well, you know.

4 hours ago, James_OldeTowne said:

I have never seen one either, at least not with truly mirrored fields.  However, I did own one that, in-hand, was the closest to prooflike that I've ever seen.  This was many years ago and I got a substantial premium for it.  If memory serves, it was one of the ultra-common dates - 1923 maybe?

Several people keep trying to get me to add "PL Peace dollars" to the Whitman Peace Dollar book - that would give a certain amount of legitimacy to something that does not exist, and boost the prices. I will make the change ONLY when I see and examine a Peace dollar with two sides matching the PL characteristics of a Morgan dollar. No exceptions and no "sliding standards."

:)

i used my new OTT lite setup and it seemed the lighting was perfect but i am still unable to capture the reflectivity of the coin,  in the last pic the red line you see is a reflection of an e-cig i  was holding.  I have realized that coin photography is an art an i am still in the "no clue" category.  the coin appears toned and dirty but it is a glassy blast white blazer and i cant capture any of that.  this was taken with an IPAD camera.  very frustrating.