• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaned or dipped 1871 seated Liberty dollar?

11 posts in this topic

I won this on an eBay auction for what seems to be a fairly popular and reputable eBay store, but I have also purchased from other auction company and have ended up with cleaned coins. I’m hoping this is not the case due to the price I paid and what I hope it to be, but I can get a refund for it if necessary. This is a 1871 seated Liberty one dollar. From the looks at it with the eye there are no scratches that are abnormal or jump out screaming it’s cleaned. It does have a nice reflection in the fields almost proof like I’d say. Once I look at it with my 10xs I can see micro lines but I can’t tell if they’re normal wear or from the mint process or if they’re the child from cleaning. When I look closer with my 20xs and 60xs they start to seem going different directions not all in the same. I’ll try to attach the best pictures I can but it’s hard to get closer then 10xs. If this is cleaned and not visible to the naked eye is there a chance this coin will still make a grading level? Thank you in advance!

8E8AEC40-9EA5-4FB6-954A-F86EC30E3459.jpeg

I would say there is no doubt that the coin has been dipped and fairly recently would be my guess.  It looks like the obv may have been wiped in years past, it is not a scrubbed to death harshly cleaned example but not "original"  I think the coin is generally market acceptable and if put into an album it may over a few years develop a more original looking color.  This is not the type of coin you should be paying a premium for.

2 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

I would say there is no doubt that the coin has been dipped and fairly recently would be my guess.  It looks like the obv may have been wiped in years past, it is not a scrubbed to death harshly cleaned example but not "original"  I think the coin is generally market acceptable and if put into an album it may over a few years develop a more original looking color.  This is not the type of coin you should be paying a premium for.

+1

2 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Thank you for the reply, this is what I was thinking but for how much I paid for it I was really hoping it wasn’t the case.

12 minutes ago, AirborneReams said:

Thank you for the reply, this is what I was thinking but for how much I paid for it I was really hoping it wasn’t the case.

If I owned this coin, and was, for lack of a more appropriate term, "stuck with it", I would put in my son's literal Dansco 7070 album and forget about it for a few years. I believe age will help this one.

If your really interested in seated coinage and want to continue buying coins of this type I would suggest you look into joining the Liberty Seated Collectors Club; LSCC.  This group is very dedicated to the various seated coinage series and has a wealth of info that you could tap into.  It would also help you in connecting with both collectors and dealers that have knowledge and experience that could help you in future purchases.  I would also suggest that you stop by the website/store of Gerry Fortin, one of the recognized experts in the area of seated dimes.

GFRC

50 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

If your really interested in seated coinage and want to continue buying coins of this type I would suggest you look into joining the Liberty Seated Collectors Club; LSCC.  This group is very dedicated to the various seated coinage series and has a wealth of info that you could tap into.  It would also help you in connecting with both collectors and dealers that have knowledge and experience that could help you in future purchases.  I would also suggest that you stop by the website/store of Gerry Fortin, one of the recognized experts in the area of seated dimes.

GFRC

Thank you very much I will check it out! I try to buy and sell and do some collecting myself if I get a nice piece such as I was hoping for this one.. 

57 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

If I owned this coin, and was, for lack of a more appropriate term, "stuck with it", I would put in my son's literal Dansco 7070 album and forget about it for a few years. I believe age will help this one.

57 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I would love to do that but I paid about 795$ thinking I was getting a great deal and could probably make a few dollars, I have already started the return process not worth my time and possibly an unhappy buyer from my auction listing, but I do agree I think time in the right hands will help this coin tremendously.

8 minutes ago, AirborneReams said:

I would love to do that but I paid about 795$ thinking I was getting a great deal and could probably make a few dollars, I have already started the return process not worth my time and possibly an unhappy buyer from my auction listing, but I do agree I think time in the right hands will help this coin tremendously.

Under those circumstances, you are doing the best thing.