• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ungraded slabbed coins, worth buying at $0.73 each?

20 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, l.cutler said:

I don't understand how they could be ungraded but still slabbed.  Without more information definitely not, they may be 100 lincoln cents worth one cent each.

I call them Basement slabbers.  There must be at least 50(+or-) of them on EBay.  They buy empty slabs and print up their own label then put in the coin.  Some of them are real creative and some do contain a nice coin.  

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Alex in PA.

2 minutes ago, Rdietrick said:

Opinions.....take a chance hope for something decent?

Why would someone put something decent in a mass and sell it that cheaply?

I have a Walking Liberty just like that. Identical slab and label. Luckily part of a lot I picked up for the other coins.  PCS Stamps & Coins of Norwalk, Connecticut slabs and sells those.  I can tell you the Walking Liberty was definitely not uncirculated as they labeled and just VG at best.  Again luckily for me it was the other coins and this was just part of the lot.  

8 minutes ago, MN1 said:

I have a Walking Liberty just like that. Identical slab and label. Luckily part of a lot I picked up for the other coins.  PCS Stamps & Coins of Norwalk, Connecticut slabs and sells those.  I can tell you the Walking Liberty was definitely not uncirculated as they labeled and just VG at best.  Again luckily for me it was the other coins and this was just part of the lot.  

Right.  People selling coins often do those 'Basement Slab' jobs and talk about grade inflation.  I would never trust a Basement Slab job.  Sorry about that Liberty; one of my favorites.

6 minutes ago, James_OldeTowne said:

Alex_in_PA posted a self-slab that I have no problem with at all.  I see nothing wrong with selling a coin, well-protected, like that.

The only problem I have with Basement Slabbers is:  Honesty.

Here's another Shameless Self Slabber. He's sold so many bogus graded 2015 Philly's on Ebay and still going.

multiple listings, sometimes he's ICGS and sometimes hes's IGCS depends on the Typo of his sticker Company

s-l1600 (16).jpg 

Edited by NevadaS&G

"Individual Coin Grading Service."

Well, at least he grades them one at a time.

Or, maybe it means that every coin is graded by an individual (him).

You are right about the listing, though. He does not actually state that the coins are graded MS70 - at least not in the title.

What's more troubling is that He (Himself) grades the Coin, He (Himself) Slabs it and He (Himself) sends it out to a Third Party Authentication Service for Verification of Grade which just happens to be He (Himself)

Edited by NevadaS&G

I Think this came for the Home Shopping Network??  J/K  but it sounds like some of the they hawk.  "LAST ONE"  "Sure to Triple in price"  .......