Ungraded slabbed coins, worth buying at $0.73 each?
2 2

22 posts in this topic

24 posts

Just curious, I got an offer on ebay to buy 100 ungraded slabbed coins for $73 including shipping ad says ".......BU, Proof and circulated coins"

Edited by Rdietrick

193 posts

I don't understand how they could be ungraded but still slabbed.  Without more information definitely not, they may be 100 lincoln cents worth one cent each.

15,900 posts

I'd be very cautious even though an investment of only $73 has limited loss potential.  It could be a bunch of self-slabbed junk.

439 posts
2 hours ago, l.cutler said:

I don't understand how they could be ungraded but still slabbed.  Without more information definitely not, they may be 100 lincoln cents worth one cent each.

I call them Basement slabbers.  There must be at least 50(+or-) of them on EBay.  They buy empty slabs and print up their own label then put in the coin.  Some of them are real creative and some do contain a nice coin.  

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Alex in PA.

2,323 posts
2 minutes ago, Rdietrick said:

Opinions.....take a chance hope for something decent?

Why would someone put something decent in a mass and sell it that cheaply?

193 posts
30 minutes ago, Rdietrick said:

Opinions.....take a chance hope for something decent?

It's your money, but I wouldn't even consider it without at least a picture or a listing of what is included.

2,110 posts

My opinion it sounds like a waste of time and money, but its your money and time so its your call, the downside is minimal but I very much doubt there is any real upside.

22 posts

I have a Walking Liberty just like that. Identical slab and label. Luckily part of a lot I picked up for the other coins.  PCS Stamps & Coins of Norwalk, Connecticut slabs and sells those.  I can tell you the Walking Liberty was definitely not uncirculated as they labeled and just VG at best.  Again luckily for me it was the other coins and this was just part of the lot.  

439 posts
8 minutes ago, MN1 said:

I have a Walking Liberty just like that. Identical slab and label. Luckily part of a lot I picked up for the other coins.  PCS Stamps & Coins of Norwalk, Connecticut slabs and sells those.  I can tell you the Walking Liberty was definitely not uncirculated as they labeled and just VG at best.  Again luckily for me it was the other coins and this was just part of the lot.  

Right.  People selling coins often do those 'Basement Slab' jobs and talk about grade inflation.  I would never trust a Basement Slab job.  Sorry about that Liberty; one of my favorites.

11 posts

This site has a bundle of knowledge. Here I got mostly all types of knowledge. I also have something to share with friends. I also want to write such a beautiful article.

15,900 posts

Alex_in_PA posted a self-slab that I have no problem with at all.  I see nothing wrong with selling a coin, well-protected, like that.

439 posts
6 minutes ago, James_OldeTowne said:

Alex_in_PA posted a self-slab that I have no problem with at all.  I see nothing wrong with selling a coin, well-protected, like that.

The only problem I have with Basement Slabbers is:  Honesty.

45 posts

Here's another Shameless Self Slabber. He's sold so many bogus graded 2015 Philly's on Ebay and still going.

multiple listings, sometimes he's ICGS and sometimes hes's IGCS depends on the Typo of his sticker Company

s-l1600 (16).jpg 

Edited by NevadaS&G

238 posts

NevadaS&G,

I reported the seller.  Kind of a coin toss on whether ebay will take action or not.  You can't list a numeric grade for a coin unless it's from one of the four approved companies.  ICG, ANACS, NGC or PCGS.  If you look carefully he left a space between the 7 and the 0.  Probably trying to avoid ebay scanning for violators.

Edited by Lancek
clarification

45 posts

Look at this one, He doesn't even have a Sonic Sealer, 5 or 6 pieces of Strategically placed pieces of tape and Dinners Done:roflmao:

s-l1600 (24).jpg

5,241 posts

"Individual Coin Grading Service."

Well, at least he grades them one at a time.

Or, maybe it means that every coin is graded by an individual (him).

You are right about the listing, though. He does not actually state that the coins are graded MS70 - at least not in the title.

45 posts

What's more troubling is that He (Himself) grades the Coin, He (Himself) Slabs it and He (Himself) sends it out to a Third Party Authentication Service for Verification of Grade which just happens to be He (Himself)

Edited by NevadaS&G

52 posts

I Think this came for the Home Shopping Network??  J/K  but it sounds like some of the they hawk.  "LAST ONE"  "Sure to Triple in price"  .......