• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difficult Quiz - edges.
1 1

58 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, lehigh96 said:

Oh yes, you certainly know snark, and we miss it over on CT.  I think I might spend a little more time over here just to get some snark with Big Bang Theory references mixed in.

Speaking for yourself of course.  :)

6 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

And a cast of thou.... okay, several.

Look at the bright side.  Over there, you were a big fish in the ocean.  Over here you are a big fish in a large, under-stocked, home aquarium.

10 minutes ago, brg5658 said:

I miss @gmarguli on CoinTalk. 

NGC boards are a ghost town - sad really. :( 

You can help.  Start a new discussion.  It is in an induced coma and we are trying to wake it up.  

RE: "Actually it was graded.  AU-something, damaged edge."

OK. The damage appears to be intentional -  too regular - not random. I'd have rejected the coin.

2 hours ago, Insider said:

Look at the bright side.  Over there, you were a big fish in the ocean.  Over here you are a big fish in a large, under-stocked, home aquarium.

“The journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single footstep.”

Numbers of participants are no measure. CT is still swamped with “unconvincable newbie” posts from those who read a few websites and think they’ve struck it rich. Some even attempt to defend indefensible YouTube videos which spread garbage. I prefer this, where such newbie posts are segregated. 

Edited by VKurtB

2 hours ago, RWB said:

RE: "Actually it was graded.  AU-something, damaged edge."

OK. The damage appears to be intentional -  too regular - not random. I'd have rejected the coin.

Most folks would. A long time ago so would a TPGS.  Keep the money and tell the submitter the edge was filed.  Duh?  Is my coin authentic?  Times have changed.  Now, every major TPGS (AFAIK) will slab this in a detail holder because they don't have your option: "I'd have rejected the coin."

26 minutes ago, Insider said:

Most folks would. A long time ago so would a TPGS.  Keep the money and tell the submitter the edge was filed.  Duh?  Is my coin authentic?  Times have changed.  Now, every major TPGS (AFAIK) will slab this in a detail holder because they don't have your option: "I'd have rejected the coin."

They don’t? News to me. I included a coin for a buddy on my most recent “world” order to NGC and it came back in a body bag/flip with a sticker. 

4 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

They don’t? News to me. I included a coin for a buddy on my most recent “world” order to NGC and it came back in a body bag/flip with a sticker. 

I got a Jefferson Nickel back from PCGS last month in a body bag/flip with a sticker for PVC Residue.

HxRbtLe.jpg

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

2 hours ago, lehigh96 said:

I got a Jefferson Nickel back from PCGS last month in a body bag/flip with a sticker for PVC Residue.

HxRbtLe.jpg

None of the services slab coins with PVC residue!  It is a judgement call because coins with PVC are in every TPGS holder.  There is a difference between a coin that is cleaned, scratched, etc and one with obvious PVC haze or spots.

17 minutes ago, Insider said:

None of the services slab coins with PVC residue!  It is a judgement call because coins with PVC are in every TPGS holder.  There is a difference between a coin that is cleaned, scratched, etc and one with obvious PVC haze or spots.

But they slab a lot of this kind of junk!!!

:baiting:

Edited by brg5658

1 hour ago, Insider said:

Irrelevant!  If they can bag a coin for PVC residue, they can bag a coin for other reasons, including excessive/deliberate damage.

14 hours ago, lehigh96 said:

Irrelevant!  If they can bag a coin for PVC residue, they can bag a coin for other reasons, including excessive/deliberate damage.

Here's the deal.  A TPGS can do whatever they want.    

Holy Frijoles, Skip. Your popularity sure is taking a beating over this thread on CoinTalk. And they call me the troll. /eye roll

Edited by VKurtB

39 minutes ago, Insider said:

Here's the deal.  A TPGS can do whatever they want.    

I agree with you, and if they wanted to bodybag/reject coins for intentional damage, they could easily do so.  You were the one who said they didn't have that option.  Perhaps as a grader working for the TPG, you don't currently have that option, but that doesn't mean the TPG couldn't revise their policy anytime they want.  

5 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Was "restoration" refused or did they not give you the option?

I have to say that I made a submission to both PCGS and NGC in the last month.  In both cases, there were coins that the TPGs thought were in need of restoration.  The two NGC coins were rainbow toned proof Jefferson Nickels plucked from cello proof set packaging.  Don't ask me why NGC wanted me to remove the toning as both coins were beautiful, but they sent me an e-mail giving me 24 hours to respond if I wanted to complete the restoration process through NCS at a price of $25 per coin.  PCGS on the other hand, bodybagged my coin and sent it back to me with a sticker on the back recommending that I use their restoration service.

KAPRbzN.jpg

eGMMVCU.jpg

Obviously I am in favor of the way that NGC handles the situation.

2 hours ago, lehigh96 said:

I agree with you, and if they wanted to bodybag/reject coins for intentional damage, they could easily do so.  You were the one who said they didn't have that option.  Perhaps as a grader working for the TPG, you don't currently have that option, but that doesn't mean the TPG couldn't revise their policy anytime they want.  

I'm an "outsider."  I don't have any control over what other TPGS do.  I post what I hear/think they do.  Sometimes I'm correct and sometimes I'm wrong.  When I'm wrong, I expect to be corrected so thanks in advance for future corrections that may be needed.  That will save me a reply.  Anyone who has a question with what a TPGS does can call that particular service.  

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Holy Frijoles, Skip. Your popularity sure is taking a beating over this thread on CoinTalk. And they call me the troll. /eye roll

In case you have not figured it out, I'm comfortable in my own skin and do not seek popularity. 

1 hour ago, lehigh96 said:

I have to say that I made a submission to both PCGS and NGC in the last month.  In both cases, there were coins that the TPGs thought were in need of restoration.  The two NGC coins were rainbow toned proof Jefferson Nickels plucked from cello proof set packaging.  Don't ask me why NGC wanted me to remove the toning as both coins were beautiful, but they sent me an e-mail giving me 24 hours to respond if I wanted to complete the restoration process through NCS at a price of $25 per coin.  PCGS on the other hand, bodybagged my coin and sent it back to me with a sticker on the back recommending that I use their restoration service.

KAPRbzN.jpg

eGMMVCU.jpg

We usually call the customer.  I cannot say more on the NGC forum except I don't like the way PCGS does it..    

BTW, is the "traffic" on this forum picking up or normal?

Edited by Insider

3 hours ago, lehigh96 said:

KAPRbzN.jpg

eGMMVCU.jpg

That's ridiculous, I can't believe PCGS didn't contact you. I've never sent a coin into PCGS but have sent coins to NGC several times, like you said they send an email and give you the option. Now I know, Thanks.

55 minutes ago, tejas1836 said:

Insider asked " is the "traffic" on this forum picking up or normal?"

I would say the forum has been more active than it was several months ago.

(thumbsu

we are trying.

17 hours ago, tejas1836 said:

It is, because a few of us have decided to pump some life into the ol' girl. I see it as the only numismatic site whose "culture" I can even tolerate.

On 9/12/2020 at 4:39 PM, gmarguli said:

Without knowing what the coins are, it is an impossible question. 

In all fairness, I agree.  (Even alleged trolls have standards.)

On 9/16/2020 at 5:08 PM, tejas1836 said:

Two things.  Yes, the traffic on this Forum is up. I take the credit for that by controlling my trollistic predilections.  As to poly chloride vinyl deposits, I would seek a second opinion with a practicing chemist such as our own VKurtB before submitting to the possible embarrassment of being subjected to medieval punishments as heralded on occasion by the numismatic fraternity.

On 10/4/2020 at 11:21 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Two things.  Yes, the traffic on this Forum is up. I take the credit for that by controlling my trollistic predilections.  As to poly chloride vinyl deposits, I would seek a second opinion with a practicing chemist such as our own VKurtB before submitting to the possible embarrassment of being subjected to medieval punishments as heralded on occasion by the numismatic fraternity.

PVC problems? Is that what's troubling you, bunky? Get yourself some acetone. Best darned PVC dissolver known to man. Do NOT let the acetone evaporate. You'll just have PVC residue in the vessel you used.