• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Simpson collection preview (today)
1 1

30 posts in this topic

Watched the recording. Coin collecting 101, not a lot new. Some extra focus on patterns, HA has a booklet they've prepared on collecting patterns which should be of interest. Noted that all the coins being sold have all very recently been regraded, apparently with a number of upgrades.  

30 minutes ago, LINCOLNMAN said:

Noted that all the coins being sold have all very recently been regraded, apparently with a number of upgrades.  

Re:  regraded/upgraded...

The scenario I see is an example once pegged as the finest ever known, i.e., until a finer one emerges requiring reassessment of the established pecking order.

I didn't look and probably won't.  At the risk of seeming like a Debbie-Downer, collections chock-full of "finest knowns" and "grade rarities" hold basically no interest for me.  But I hope the venture proves exciting and educational for you!

35 minutes ago, James_OldeTowne said:

I didn't look and probably won't.  At the risk of seeming like a Debbie-Downer, collections chock-full of "finest knowns" and "grade rarities" hold basically no interest for me.  But I hope the venture proves exciting and educational for you!

I just like to see outstanding collections and see why some of the coins are so special. I also like to hear about the collector.

37 minutes ago, Zebo said:

Heritage's interview with Mr. Simpson:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ecrm-p9BA6M?ctrack=2788277&type=collectora-img7-coinus-news-tem092220

Must be nice being able to buy anything you want. Part I of his auction went for 14.6 Mil.

Why?  Are safe deposit boxes prettier than they used to be?  

17 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Why?  Are safe deposit boxes prettier than they used to be?  

I have the best part of my collection in a SDB.  Prudent risk management financially and in my case, I would actually never be able to replace many of the coins I own in anything close to the quality I have.

I would prefer to keep my collection where i have continuous access to it but don't have a home where I can do that.  

On 9/22/2020 at 9:43 PM, World Colonial said:

I have the best part of my collection in a SDB.  Prudent risk management financially and in my case, I would actually never be able to replace many of the coins I own in anything close to the quality I have.

I would prefer to keep my collection where i have continuous access to it but don't have a home where I can do that.  

When I was very young, my mother would take me to places that no longer exist anymore one of which was the Chase Manhattan Bank Money Museum.  And she said something that stuck with me all these years:  "Everything you could possibly want is right here. You don't need to spend money on it. You can come visit it any time you want."  I never forgot that.

3 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

"Everything you could possibly want is right here. You don't need to spend money on it. You can come visit it any time you want."  I never forgot that.

"I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it on all the beaches of the world... perhaps you've seen it."

Steven Wright

9 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

When I was very young, my mother would take me to places that no longer exist anymore one of which was the Chase Manhattan Bank Money Museum.  And she said something that stuck with me all these years:  "Everything you could possibly want is right here. You don't need to spend money on it. You can come visit it any time you want."  I never forgot that.

If I shared your view, I wouldn't be a collector.  I am a collector because I want to own the coins.  I am mostly interested in my collection precisely because it is mine, not someone else's.

This doesn't mean that I have to own every coin I like or want to buy, whether in my series or otherwise.  There are many coins (even in my series) that I have not bought since I intentionally limit myself to collect below my financial means. 

However, if I found viewing coins (whether in museums, online, at shows or at dealers) a satisfactory substitute to ownership, I'd quit collecting, as there is no point to it.

To your example of a museum, when I visited, I mostly ignored the limited coin displays because the other objects are actually a lot more interesting and I'm never going to own those objects.  Viewing those objects in museums is interesting precisely because I can't own it but I don't see hardly any coin this way, especially using the exaggerated criteria of significance used by US collecting.

15 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

A lot of wisdom in that observation. However, it is sadly lost on those of us afflicted with the collector gene. 

44 minutes ago, LINCOLNMAN said:

A lot of wisdom in that observation. However, it is sadly lost on those of us afflicted with the collector gene. 

For what it's worth, I again requote Lord Bertrand Russell:

"It is the pre-occupation with possession, more than anything else, that prevents man from living freely and nobly."

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

For what it's worth, I again requote Lord Bertrand Russell:

"It is the pre-occupation with possession, more than anything else, that prevents man from living freely and nobly."

More words of wisdom. I give myself an out by believing that I'm not "pre-occupied" by cons or other possessions, not most of the time anyway, Actually, when it comes to coins it's the research and the chase for me, more so than possession. 

15 hours ago, Cat Bath said:

"I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it on all the beaches of the world... perhaps you've seen it."

Steven Wright

Mr. BATH,  I extoll your humble demeanor to all who will listen but, how does patronizing a collection of coins (and high denomination currency) assembled in a single location under one roof compare to the prospect of traipsing through every continent in the world at presumably geat time and expense?  Are you aware, last I checked, it costs $65,000 to Summit Everest?  How 'bout we give Go Fund Me a shot and set up shop in Sanibel Island, Florida?

35 minutes ago, LINCOLNMAN said:

More words of wisdom. I give myself an out by believing that I'm not "pre-occupied" by cons or other possessions, not most of the time anyway, Actually, when it comes to coins it's the research and the chase for me, more so than possession. 

There is a difference between being "preoccupied" and the inference in both of his posts which is nonsensical.

It's like being a collector yet not having a collection is simultaneously equivalent.  This is an oxymoron.  Someone can be a numismatist while owning no coins but to claim you are a collector while either not owning any coins or even having an interest in ownership is a contradiction. 

What kind of "collecting" is that?

To go back to the post where I made the comment on SDB, I can see why someone may choose to not use a SDB because they want continuous access but that is another matter entirely.

Lastly, like many other collectors, I have aspirations and goals related to my collection but concurrently, if I never bought or owned another coin in my life, I'd get over it and survive.  I can find other interests and I certainly don't "invest" in coins.

8 minutes ago, World Colonial said:

Why do you own any coins then?

The United States Government owns my coins. They are simply blissfully unaware of that fact.  I have two choices, neither agreeable. Provide proof I relinquished my holdings irrevocably, or continue subsisting at less than one-half the Federal poverty line -- my wife's social security check is exactly $119.35/mo, mine is marginally higher; she is not eligible for disability payments though she was deemed as such by medical professionals; we live in subsidized housing and I have used a free Lifeline phone for the past five years though I suspect I am no longer eligible for one. No one I know approaches the actual cost of my living.

2 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

The United States Government owns my coins. They are simply blissfully unaware of that fact.  I have two choices, neither agreeable. Provide proof I relinquished my holdings irrevocably, or continue subsisting at less than one-half the Federal poverty line -- my wife's social security check is exactly $119.35/mo, mine is marginally higher; she is not eligible for disability payments though she was deemed as such by medical professionals; we live in subsidized housing and I have used a free Lifeline phone for the past five years though I suspect I am no longer eligible for one. No one I know approaches the actual cost of my living.

I wasn't aware of your situation.  I read your two posts here in the context of a prior exchange we had in another thread where you stated that you consider it preferable that certain coins (at minimum) should be available for public benefit. 

That's fine, depending upon how it happens.  The core of the Smithsonian's US  collection came from the US Mint Cabinet.  Potentially, some of these coins would not have survived but concurrently, most of this collection and the British Museum's aren't available for public viewing.  Both are so large with inadequate display space that most of it is stored where no one sees it.  When I visited the British Museum in early 2000, almost no coins were displayed yet years later I read they have one of the largest in the world.

Now the ANS, I'll agree they provide public benefit but that's because for an administrative fee, it's available for research.  I would like to view their holdings for the area I collect at some point.  I have thought that if don't end up giving mine to someone I know, I'd donate it to them.  

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 6:55 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

... how does patronizing a collection of coins assembled in a single location under one roof compare to the prospect of traipsing through every continent in the world at presumably geat time and expense? 

I've never been able to inspect any coin in these grand collections to my satisfaction.

Hansen & Simpson have been the most generous when it comes to my little corner of interest, even if it's only through pictures.

It's still better than dimly lit cases through one inch of dirty plexiglass.

9 hours ago, RWB said:

I looked but all I could see where little yellow people with funny hair. did I have the right "Simpson"   ?

Strange things going on in the saint registry ATS.

Simpson has retired his saint set with a missing 1907 low relief and has a 1908 NM in there that a regular person could afford. He is has the #1 all time set but Hansen is on his tail. (He said earlier that he wasn't going to sell his saints)

Hansen has his set on private which is not like him at all. (I have saved all his cert numbers so I pretty much know what he has)

It's chaos there and I don't like it one bit.  :preach:

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/gold/20-gold-major-sets/st-gaudens-20-gold-major-varieties-circulation-strikes-1907-1932/alltimeset/71312

Edited by Cat Bath

MCMVII is only one variety. The fin and normal rim are upsetting and collar production issues, not die or design varieties. If mint director Leach had his way, all the fin coins would have been destroyed as defective.

6 hours ago, Cat Bath said:

Strange things going on in the saint registry ATS.

Simpson has retired his saint set with a missing 1907 low relief and has a 1908 NM in there that a regular person could afford. He is has the #1 all time set but Hansen is on his tail. (He said earlier that he wasn't going to sell his saints)

Hansen has his set on private which is not like him at all. (I have saved all his cert numbers so I pretty much know what he has)

It's chaos there and I don't like it one bit.  :preach:

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/gold/20-gold-major-sets/st-gaudens-20-gold-major-varieties-circulation-strikes-1907-1932/alltimeset/71312

He said he didn't mind holes. Maybe he just didn't come across a 1907 low relief that he really liked. What a set, however. Would love to see them in person.

17 hours ago, Zebo said:

He said he didn't mind holes. Maybe he just didn't come across a 1907 low relief that he really liked. What a set, however. Would love to see them in person.

Found It !!!

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/06666143

I don't know why a person would retire a set with one missing coin that they in fact owned.

It won't let me upload a picture of it so you have to click the link.

Edited by Cat Bath

11 minutes ago, Cat Bath said:

Found It!!!

I don't know why a person would retire a set with a missing coin that they in fact owned.

Definitely a head scratcher. Nice coin. I'd trade him for mine straight up.

42 minutes ago, Cat Bath said:

Found It !!!

I don't know why a person would retire a set with one missing coin that they in fact owned.

It's a gorgeous coin, no doubt, but it looks very "optimistically" graded in that picture.

3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

It's a gorgeous coin, no doubt, but it looks very "optimistically" graded in that picture.

The 1907 LR is total chaos. I think they grossly over graded about 4 bags of them ATS in 65 / 66 and they are everywhere.

The problem is that when you see so much garbage, you start to believe that 1907's just have their own special standard.

I found a 65 that I wouldn't trade for Simpson's 66+ and managed to get it in a 65+ holder. (it was less than 1/3 the price) It took a long time.

I'd recommend saving it for last if building a set because it's so easy to make a mistake on. A sticker won't help you much except for resale, when you find out you made a mistake the 1st time. :whistle:

Edited by Cat Bath

8 hours ago, Cat Bath said:

The 1907 LR is total chaos. I think they grossly over graded about 4 bags of them ATS in 65 / 66 and they are everywhere.

The problem is that when you see so much garbage, you start to believe that 1907's just have their own special standard.

I found a 65 that I wouldn't trade for Simpson's 66+ and managed to get it in a 65+ holder. (it was less than 1/3 the price) It took a long time.

I'd recommend saving it for last if building a set because it's so easy to make a mistake on. A sticker won't help you much except for resale, when you find out you made a mistake the 1st time. :whistle:

Over grading for sure, and maybe (just maybe), the reason he left that hole empty. I'm most likely wrong on this. I'd still trade it for mine.