• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Eagles

4 posts in this topic

I started looking at silver eagles over the past few months and picked up a few recently. I was interested in the opinions of forum members regarding one that I picked up slabbed with a MS70 grade. Could a coin have received a grade of 70 with a small mark like this one the bottom of the obverse under the date. Initially, I thought it was a mark on the slab. Or is it possible there was something there that wasn't visible when it was graded and toning over the years made it more visible. It doesn't seem like an "as minted defect" but the coin and slab seemed sealed tight and authentic. I know things happen similar as I've seen other MS70 coins with heavy milky spots and toning, etc. There were no images when I verified the coin. This post really is more about my curiosity. Thanks, I appreciate any responses. Steve

Silver Eagle 2011 2.jpg

Silver Eagle 2011.jpg

I doubt that is a mark or nick on the coin but rather a carbon or tone spot, I cannot be sure which from the photos, nice photos btw.  I am uncertain if that would be enough for a grade review or refund from PCGS, although I doubt that it would qualify or be enough for PCGS to reduce the grade at this time.

Hi, Thanks for responding. Right, it doesn't look like a nick for sure. Oddly, it appears as if it is part of the surface like a line drawn on it (as it's so straight) but that doesn't make sense at all. It could easily be a physical part of the coin that has become more apparent over time. I probably wouldn't inquire about a regrade, as it's more about the mystery of how and why. Thanks again.