• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Registry Participants
1 1

Registry Participants  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you...

• Participate only on the NGC registry
    • Participate only in the PCGS registry
    • Participate in both NGC and PCGS registries
  2. 2. If you Particiapte only in the NGC registry

• Is your collection World only?
    • Is your collection U.S. Only?
    • Does your collection have both U.S. And World sets in it?
    • Is your collection a custom set only?
    • N/A - if you participate in both NGC and PCGS
    • I don't participate in the NGC registry
  3. 3. What is your objective in Particiapting in the registries?

• Build the finest collection
    • Build one of the best collections
    • Build a collection that is high grade, but not among the very best
    • Build a collection that is complete, but not among the very best
    • Build a low grade collection on a budget
    • To be best in category, but not necessarily have a complete set
    • To document your holdings
    • Or purely for the competition
  4. 4. If you participate only in the PCGS registry

• You collect World only
    • You collect U.S. Only
    • You collect U.S. and World
    • N/A - if you participate in both NGC and PCGS registries
    • I don't participate in the PCGS registry
    • N/A
  5. 5. If you participate in both NGC and PCGS registries

• Do you collect World only?
    • Do you collect U.S. only?
    • Do you collect both U.S. and World?

20 posts in this topic

Poll seems to be broken, I voted but the poll is showing no results.

Edited to add I dont think the poll will work unless you vote in each section which is not possible with the verbiage used.

Edited by Coinbuf

I'll take a look and modify it - did it in a hurry, which is never good. Quick fix - see if this helps.

Edited by Zebo

I would like posterity to note that with no votes recorded at, or about 5 p.m. today, 09/11/2020,  I Quintus Arrius, stumbled accidentally onto Zebo's poll, and cast the first vote (pending certification).  

I participate in BOTH the PCGS and NGC registries.....But NGC is the only one that I will ever complete or take seriously.  

I have a lot of nice NGC coins and I am not one to crack or cross. 

There's NO WAY that I'm buying PCGS duplicates of rare coins! :S 

That would be stupid and insane.......:tonofbricks: 

I only buy US coins but do appreciate the Dark Side.  

Early voting results indicate Zebo, Fenntucky Mike, Coinbuf + QA all share something in common: Build one of the best collections. I salute you all, gentlemen!

8 minutes ago, Walkerfan said:

In all fairness, I plead guilty, with an explanation.

By the time I discovered there were Set Registries, I was already in deep and chose to continue with the TPGS I had the most slabs from. 

Instead of buying duplicates, I cross the coins left behind from upgrading. Only a narcissistic fanatic would assemble dual collections.

2 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

The poll doesn't seem to be working correctly. I voted in 2 sections but they don't show up in the results. 

Re-check those two sections to see if there is a N/A choice at the bottom of each (because you participate in both top registries).

9 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

In all fairness, I plead guilty, with an explanation.

By the time I discovered there were Set Registries, I was already in deep and chose to continue with the TPGS I had the most slabs from. 

Instead of buying duplicates, I cross the coins left behind from upgrading. Only a narcissistic fanatic would assemble dual collections.

No offense intended.  

You're not alone.....It happens A LOT.  

I thought maybe, someday, I'd complete BOTH with different coins but, yeah, that's a little fanatical, even for me. :ohnoez:

I will assemble the PCGS 1933-1947 40 coin set, though, as I only need two more PCGS coins for that one.  :grin: 

Edited by Walkerfan

24 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

The poll doesn't seem to be working correctly. I voted in 2 sections but they don't show up in the results. 

I think you have to vote in each section for the results to count and show.

42 minutes ago, Walkerfan said:

I participate in BOTH the PCGS and NGC registries.....But NGC is the only one that I will ever complete or take seriously.  

I have a lot of nice NGC coins and I am not one to crack or cross. 

I only buy US coins but do appreciate the Dark Side.  

Ditto and well said, I do participate in a third registry which is non competitive and allows for raw coins which is a nice change from the big two.

3 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

I think you have to vote in each section for the results to count and show.

Well the last question   "5. If you participate in both NGC and PCGS registries"  is what's causing the problem then. I don't participate in both registries. 

10 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

Well the last question   "5. If you participate in both NGC and PCGS registries"  is what's causing the problem then. I don't participate in both registries. 

Yep need an n/a option.  Calling @Zebo

Edited by Coinbuf

As a collector of world coins, and it appears therefore I am in the minority xD, I have coins in both holders although more NGC. The main reason I use the NGC Registry is it is a convienent way to keep track of some of my collection although all the standard varieties etc are not always included, or recognised, in the Registry Set which is why for some things I have several sets. I think the PCGS World registry (apart from very select sets) is not as logical, complete or consistent as NGC is at the moment.

Compared to the NGC census I find some of the PCGS population reports extremely difficult to use as the entries are completely random with everything mixed up so you have to go through the whole lot to see what the population is for the coin you are interested in or even whether there are any graded example at all (for example Spanish coins, I could easily be using this wrong!).

10 hours ago, ColonialCoinsUK said:

Compared to the NGC census I find some of the PCGS population reports extremely difficult to use as the entries are completely random with everything mixed up so you have to go through the whole lot to see what the population is for the coin you are interested in or even whether there are any graded example at all (for example Spanish coins, I could easily be using this wrong!).

No, you are not using it wrong.  I check both intermittently for numerous series.

Some countries are very well organized, like the UK, Mexico, Canada and South Africa.  As good as or better than NGC.  Better in the sense that it's easier to view denominations that NGC combines.

Others are as you state, no logical sense to the (lack of) organization at all.  Not only Spain but Peru, Bolivia, Chile... you get the idea.  Different dates for the same design and denomination are scattered.  I have also seen a few coins with multiple entries where it's necessary to add it up to come up with the total.  1770 Bolivia 4R is one.

I also prefer how NGC includes all grades in the same view.  With PCGS, you have to shift between pages.

I am going to guess that NGC's overall better organization might have something to do with the higher populations.  Auction archives can be equally challenging to navigate.  Much of it is the software but also how the firm decided to organize their database.  Overall, Heritage is best but they aren't going to go back and redo the data fields for world coinage to make it as searchable as US coinage.  Depending upon what I am looking for, a lot of unrelated entries show up in the results.

15 hours ago, World Colonial said:

No, you are not using it wrong.  I check both intermittently for numerous series.

Some countries are very well organized, like the UK, Mexico, Canada and South Africa.  As good as or better than NGC.  Better in the sense that it's easier to view denominations that NGC combines.

Others are as you state, no logical sense to the (lack of) organization at all.  Not only Spain but Peru, Bolivia, Chile... you get the idea.  Different dates for the same design and denomination are scattered.  I have also seen a few coins with multiple entries where it's necessary to add it up to come up with the total.  1770 Bolivia 4R is one.

I also prefer how NGC includes all grades in the same view.  With PCGS, you have to shift between pages.

I am going to guess that NGC's overall better organization might have something to do with the higher populations.  Auction archives can be equally challenging to navigate.  Much of it is the software but also how the firm decided to organize their database.  Overall, Heritage is best but they aren't going to go back and redo the data fields for world coinage to make it as searchable as US coinage.  Depending upon what I am looking for, a lot of unrelated entries show up in the results.

I am relieved it is not just me xD  I have also noted duplicate entries in the population reports. For world coins PCGS do seem to be better at adding well established variety information to the label though.

I too usually start with Heritage before moving on to Coinarchives, Sixbid, NumisBids, acsearch, specific auction houses etc. One lot I am currently considering states 'the second known example' and I know I have seen at least three!

On 9/11/2020 at 12:16 PM, Zebo said:

Re:  Registry Participants poll

[Granted, I failed Statistics 101, SIX TIMES.  Still, I feel with no more than fourteen members participating, we are not getting an accurate profile of registrant's usage patterns.  I know this poll's been open only a few days but the sample gleaned is woefully insufficient from which to draw a valid conclusion.  Considering my user name occupies a prominent place on nine members' "ignore" lists, nineteen ain't saying much. I would be curious to know who declined to vote -- and, more importantly, why?