• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Burnished Silver Eagles
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a set (2006 - 2020) of Burnished Silver Eagles from Bullion Sharks.  All coins are graded MS70 by NGC (Brown Label) and in slabs.  The coins of the early years (2006, 2007, 2008) in my set have a different appearance from the coins dated 2011 through 2020.  The 2006, 2007, 2008 coins appear to be over burnished; an almost kind of dull appearance to them.  The 2011 and up coins are burnished but have more luster to them and reflect more light than the earlier coins.  I would appreciate any response or information regarding this difference in appearance from the older silver eagles in my set as compared to the newer silver eagles.     

22 minutes ago, Aneirin said:

I recently purchased a set (2006 - 2020) of Burnished Silver Eagles from Bullion Sharks.  All coins are graded MS70 by NGC (Brown Label) and in slabs.  The coins of the early years (2006, 2007, 2008) in my set have a different appearance from the coins dated 2011 through 2020.  The 2006, 2007, 2008 coins appear to be over burnished; an almost kind of dull appearance to them.  The 2011 and up coins are burnished but have more luster to them and reflect more light than the earlier coins.  I would appreciate any response or information regarding this difference in appearance from the older silver eagles in my set as compared to the newer silver eagles.     

If you go all the way back to the beginning of the entire series, not only the W burnished ones, you can see a general progression of the look of the finish on them also. At one point, the precise method of imparting the W burnished finish changed. That might be what you're seeing. Of course, there might also be more toning showing on the earlier ones, too.