• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1909 S V.D.B. Real?
1 1

39 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Yep, this hobby is loaded to the gills with highly unethical characters. Actually, lots are real criminals. Now knowing it is a fake, he is one. A criminal.

Always nice to see your forum posts VKurtB and JKK. NGC said I was out of likes for today.☹

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

Yep, this hobby is loaded to the gills with highly unethical characters. Actually, lots are real criminals. Now knowing it is a fake, he is one. A criminal.

I am delighted to hear the buyer was able to get a refund.  I am, however, a little hesitant about throwing the term criminal around, after all, nothing was proven.  The seller very likely told the buyer if he was unsatisfied for any reason, he was free to send it back. Due to my own disinclination to exercise rudimentary due diligence, I am now the unfortunate owner of an item I was led to believe was the earliest ticket sold for the new subway whose inaugural run took place in 1904. It did not occur to me that elevated trains had been running since the 1870's and the subway lines built since were all privately owned. I do not have it in me to pass my error to others -- even alleged trolls have values -- so my only option is to offer it for Exhibit in New York's Tramsit Museum. Willie Sutton was an accomplished professional bank-man. The illiterate demand note-passers you have today are inept drug addicts who give criminals a bad name.  I am glad there was a happy ending to this story. All things considered, I have been extraordinarily cautious -- and lucky, using eBay.

7 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

I am glad there was a happy ending to this story.

There was a happy ending to this chapter of the story, but the piece is back out there and being offered again as real.  The next chaper of the story may not end as well.

10 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

The seller very likely told the buyer if he was unsatisfied for any reason, he was free to send it back. 

Unfortunately incorrect.  The seller states in their ad, in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS even, that they absolutely do not offer refunds for any reason.  OP was able to get his refund due to the Mercari guarantee.  And now, even knowing it is a fake, the same seller has it back for sale.  As genuine.  Criminal in my book.  

3 hours ago, Morpheus1967 said:

I can't find it so maybe it's gone now.  

Face it, folks. This seller is a criminal who commits federal crimes. No doubt about it. No wiggle room for interpretation. A wanton criminal. Sadly, his type of person is NOT rare in this hobby.

13 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Face it, folks. This seller is a criminal who commits federal crimes. No doubt about it. No wiggle room for interpretation. A wanton criminal. Sadly, his type of person is NOT rare in this hobby.

Aside from the gentleman's religious convictions, which are neither here nor there, I would suggest the coin I would be inclined to pay a pretty penny for should be appraised.  I believe it is universally accepted at this juncture in the numismatic pursuit that making such a request, while  necessarily adding to the buyer's cost is by now routine and not unreasonable.  Considering a recent unrelated thread determined $50. to be the upper limit a buyer would consider spending on a raw coin, I do not believe such a request would be regarded as unusual.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Missing word