• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raised pennies?

9 posts in this topic

I am new and had a question about four pennies I have. One is from 2017 and there is a faint ring around the outside of the coin. Then I have two from 2018 that the ring is much more pronounced (one with the 8 sinking in a little because of the raise). The last one just has a scratch around the same area as the ring for the other pennies which is why I'm including it. Would these be considered errors? I couldn't find these raises on my other pennies.

Thanks!

IMG_20200908_201219.jpg

And you are both wrong.

Enlarge the pictures.  Those are NOT scratches caused by the wrapping crimping machine.  There ARE raised areas commonly referred to as "rim ridges: which are caused by die deterioration and is ether a erosion around the periphery of the die, or I tend to believe it is more likely caused by a sinking of the die face due to a problem in the hardening/tempering of the die.

This is fascinating! Are rim ridges common? 

Thank you for the help, by the way. This is very new to me. I've never noticed the process involved and history found in currency until recently when I happened to get a 1902 penny in my change, so now I'm trying to learn more about it. 

Yes they are, especially on the copper plated zinc cents. It can be found on other series as well but is is MUCH less common.  Why it shows up so much on the zinc cents I have no idea.  Zinc being a softer material you would think the dies would hold up better.  On the other hand being a softer material the dies are also used a lot longer.  Die life on most coins is 500 to 750 thousand coins, on the cents it is 1 to 1.5 million.

On 9/9/2020 at 9:05 PM, Conder101 said:

And you are both wrong.

Enlarge the pictures.  Those are NOT scratches caused by the wrapping crimping machine.  There ARE raised areas commonly referred to as "rim ridges: which are caused by die deterioration and is ether a erosion around the periphery of the die, or I tend to believe it is more likely caused by a sinking of the die face due to a problem in the hardening/tempering of the die.

... which in turn, should teach me not to give a photo a cursory glance before pronouncing judgement!  (Or at least, examine the larger resolution photos before forming an opinion.)  I concur with your assessment!