• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I just "Ignored" someone for the first time.
2 2

251 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Insider said:

What if I told you I conserved the coin or I took the black corrosion off at the customers request?  If I had owned the coin, I should have sold it with the black streak and let some "genius" such as [SELF :whistle:EDIT] learn all about end stage corrosion by himself. 

So rather than your snarky reply which I responded to in kind, you might have asked nicely so I could reply:  This is how:  When you remove something from the surface of a coin, the underlying surface will either return to its "original" (for all that examine it) condition or be different.  The degree of difference can range from a simple discoloration to a rather deep granular crater.  The color of the oxidation (toning) HELPS DETERMINE what the underlying surface will look like if it is removed.  The color BLACK is very bad.  There is only one part of a coin where it can be removed w/o leaving a trace.  :)

At first I was going to post a before and after but...Unfortunately, it is bad form to show before and after images of conserved coins on another  TPGS forum.  I did this once by completely removing a large corrosion spot from an MS-66 buffalo on the PCGS forum.  I got a stern warning not to do it again.     NGC has a coin conservation service that is one of the best.       .        

My reply was in no way intended to be snarky. I wish you hadn't taken it that way, but we'll live with the results of your interpretation of my intent. I was hoping for the type of response you have now provided.

Thanks for recognizing me as a "genius", you're so nice (fyi that is snark).

5 hours ago, gmarguli said:

It's not just trolls, there are people who provide no value to the topics. Two people who come to mind that you probably won't recognize are Bear and michael. They don't post anymore since God put them on his ignore list.

michael I can only assume suffered from some sort of dementia. His posts read like that of a six year old lacking any semblance of grammar and many times lacking enough clarity to even understand what he was trying to say. One of his faces would take a shot at you in the forums and the other face would PM you asking to buy a coin. 

Michael did have mental problems (I'm not just saying that - he admitted it). He doesn't post here anymore because he passed away a few years ago. I don't remember Bear, either he was before my time here or I've just blocked him from my memory. 

20 minutes ago, coincorgi said:

What if I told you I conserved the coin or I took the black corrosion off at the customers request?

Did you tell me? Sorry I missed it if you did tell me.

Did you conserve the coin at the customers request?

Since this thread is about ignoring people - not everyone might know how to do that. You might want to do that to some people. Here's how: 

1. On a post of theirs, hover over their username.
2. A box will pop up with three options at the bottom: Message / Ignore / Find Content.

3. Click Ignore. 

4. You'll be taken to a new screen with a menu "Add new user to ignore list." You should see that users name in blue, and below is a selection of what you want to ignore: Posts, Messages, Signature, Mentions. Select the options you want to ignore (I usually select all 4). 

5. After you've made your selection, click the green button "Update Preferences." 

6. The newly ignored member will be added to the blue list "Users Currently Being Ignored." 

7. Go, and live in peace, knowing that you won't be bothered by that member any more. 

(bonus round: when an ignored poster posts in a thread you will see a light grey notice which says something like: "You've chosen to ignore content by VKurtB. Options" If you are consumed by morbid curiosity, you can click and it will show you that post. But, if you do that then why did you ignore them in the first place?)

Edited by physics-fan3.14

1 minute ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Since this thread is about ignoring people - not everyone might know how to do that. You might want to do that to some people. Here's how: 

1. On a post of theirs, hover over their username.
2. A box will pop up with three options at the bottom: Message / Ignore / Find Content.

3. Click Ignore. 

4. You'll be taken to a new screen with a menu "Add new user to ignore list." You should see that users name in blue, and below is a selection of what you want to ignore: Posts, Messages, Signature, Mentions. Select the options you want to ignore (I usually select all 4). 

5. After you've made your selection, click the green button "Update Preferences." 

6. The newly ignored member will be added to the blue list "Users Currently Being Ignored." 

7. Go, and live in peace, knowing that you won't be bothered by that member any more. 

(bonus round: when an ignored poster posts in a thread you will see a light grey notice which says: "You've chosen to ignore content by VKurtB. Options" If you are consumed by morbid curiosity, you can click and it will show you that post. But, if you do that then why did you ignore them in the first place?)

Congrats Kurt!

6 minutes ago, coincorgi said:

Did you tell me? Sorry I missed it if you did tell me.

Did you conserve the coin at the customers request?

No I did not.  I should have recommended that he leave it alone and sell it.  The first step at a conservation service is to decide if a coin can be helped.  The second step after that is to see how far you wish to go.  Perhaps Mr. Camire could give us a more detailed write-up of the process in this discussion.  It would certainly help to revive this forum.  They may have it posted already at the NCS site.

...when an ignored poster posts in a thread you will see a light grey notice which says: "You've chosen to ignore content by ...

Actually, I have not seen this and I'm 100% he has posted plenty today.  This feature is WONDERFUL.  The only thing that would make it better is if an ignored member could not see any of your posts.   Perhaps a "Ghost Setting."  A person could post and only selected members could  view them.  The worst thing you could do to someone is for the mods to put them on "ghost" and no one could see their posts and they would not figure out what was happening for awhile.  Think of the fun.  A mod could ghost members for an hour or two for the fun of it.  Talk about reviving the forums.  Folks from all over would be trying to figure out the "glitch."  

Edited by Insider

2 minutes ago, Insider said:

...when an ignored poster posts in a thread you will see a light grey notice which says: "You've chosen to ignore content by ...

Actually, I have not seen this.

This exchange, on the first non-numismatic topic I have seen is hilarious!  I was wondering what that grey highlighting was! Great stuff!  Ha! Ha! Ha!

45 minutes ago, coincorgi said:

Congrats Kurt!

[Wait'll all the guys who've chosen to "ignore" me here, find out I've been green-lighted by the blue-ribbon committee over there (CT) providing me with an unprecedented opportunity to re-invent, and redeem, myself, at another forum thanks to the Sterling Referral from physics-fan3.14!  I will praise Insider and VKurtB, my mentors, to all every chance I get!  Really great stuff!]

43 minutes ago, Insider said:

Actually, I have not seen this and I'm 100% he has posted plenty today.  This feature is WONDERFUL.  The only thing that would make it better is if an ignored member could not see any of your posts.   Perhaps a "Ghost Setting."  A person could post and only selected members could  view them.  The worst thing you could do to someone is for the mods to put them on "ghost" and no one could see their posts and they would not figure out what was happening for awhile.  Think of the fun.  A mod could ghost members for an hour or two for the fun of it.  Talk about reviving the forums.  Folks from all over would be trying to figure out the "glitch."  

I assumed you had ignored one of the people I recently ignored. They have both posted several times to this thread. If you aren't seeing that, then I'm not sure who you ignored. 

22 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

I hope everyone reads this thread then no one should ever have to ask why they call this unfortunate forum "Sleepy Hollow".

do they really call it that? (I'm genuinely curious fyi)

37 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

I assumed you had ignored one of the people I recently ignored. They have both posted several times to this thread. If you aren't seeing that, then I'm not sure who you ignored. 

It probably has to do with how many of the 4 options you are presented with when you add someone to your ignore list. Insider said he checked all 4 and I think that means you get no indication of even a mention of the ignored user.

Maybe. Dunno...haven't ignored anyone yet.

9 minutes ago, coincorgi said:

It probably has to do with how many of the 4 options you are presented with when you add someone to your ignore list. Insider said he checked all 4 and I think that means you get no indication of even a mention of the ignored user.

Yep. All four.  He :blahblah: does not exist in my mind or on my screen!  :roflmao:    

34 minutes ago, coincorgi said:

Yes, I always check all 4. If I'm going to ignore them, then I'm going to do my best to completely remove them from my existence. In the words of Pharaoh Sethi in the Ten Commandments: Their name shall be stricken from every book and tablet. Stricken from every pylon and obelisk of the internet. Let the name of the ignored be unheard and unspoken, erased from the memory of man, for all time. 

I'll tolerate someone for a long time. The "ignore" actions I described above are quite severe. Sometimes I'll put a time limit on it in hopes someone will change (on CoinTalk, I've ignored people for 6 months and then restored them... usually that's a mistake). I don't ignore a whole lot of people, but when I do, I don't regret it. I'll admit, I'm more likely to ignore somebody than many people are - but I think more people should ignore certain people. 

When I do ignore someone, I also publicly announce it. My hopes are that people will join me in ignoring them. When I put someone on ignore, its because they've exhibited destructive or disruptive behavior. They are trolls. Don't feed the trolls. When I see people feeding the trolls, it makes me sad because we could all just fix the problem by ignoring them! 

Honestly, I've ignored far more people on the NGC forums than on CoinTalk. NGC moderators don't moderate, they simply let the boards self destruct. I have to ignore people here or else I'd just leave, like so many others have. 

For example, on CoinTalk, I ignored VKurtB a long time ago, before he was banned there. When he re-surfaced here I had hoped he'd changed. I gave him a chance. He didn't change. And so now I've ignored him permanently - and will do so on whatever website I may see him emerge on anytime in the future, instantly. I really don't expect he'll ever be banned here, to the permanent detriment of these forums. Eh, it's NGC's place to run.

Edited by physics-fan3.14

16 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Yes, I always check all 4. If I'm going to ignore them, then I'm going to do my best to completely remove them from my existence. In the words of Pharaoh Sethi in the Ten Commandments: Their name shall be stricken from every book and tablet. Stricken from every pylon and obelisk of the internet. Let the name of the ignored be unheard and unspoken, erased from the memory of man, for all time. 

I'll tolerate someone for a long time. The "ignore" actions I described above are quite severe. Sometimes I'll put a time limit on it in hopes someone will change (on CoinTalk, I've ignored people for 6 months and then restored them... usually that's a mistake). I don't ignore a whole lot of people, but when I do, I don't regret it. I'll admit, I'm more likely to ignore somebody than many people are - but I think more people should ignore certain people. 

When I do ignore someone, I also publicly announce it. My hopes are that people will join me in ignoring them. When I put someone on ignore, its because they've exhibited destructive or disruptive behavior. They are trolls. Don't feed the trolls. When I see people feeding the trolls, it makes me sad because we could all just fix the problem by ignoring them! 

Honestly, I've ignored far more people on the NGC forums than on CoinTalk. NGC moderators don't moderate, they simply let the boards self destruct. I have to ignore people here or else I'd just leave, like so many others have. 

For example, on CoinTalk, I ignored VKurtB a long time ago, before he was banned there. When he re-surfaced here I had hoped he'd changed. I gave him a chance. He didn't change. And so now I've ignored him permanently - and will do so on whatever website I may see him emerge on anytime in the future, instantly. I really don't expect he'll ever be banned here, to the permanent detriment of these forums. Eh, it's NGC's place to run.

Didn't you ignore me on CoinTalk, or am I mistaking you for someone else?

Kurt being able to post here is the only reason I've started reading (and now posting) this forum. Plus who can pass up ol' "Socrates" Insider's lessons du jour on two sides of the street at once?

I consider being on Jason Poe’s ignore list to be one of my most valued awards in my Numismatic career. Not the only one, nor even the top one, but it is close. Some people are just “life trolls” and I consider Jason one.

Edited by VKurtB

9 minutes ago, coincorgi said:

Didn't you ignore me on CoinTalk, or am I mistaking you for someone else?

Kurt being able to post here is the only reason I've started reading (and now posting) this forum. Plus who can pass up ol' "Socrates" Insider's lessons du jour on two sides of the street at once?

No, I have not ignored you on CoinTalk or on this forum. I disagree with you sometimes, but nowhere near the level of ignoring. 

Ignoring is for Trolls. You are not a Troll. VKB is a Troll. 

And I agree - any forum where Insider posts is improved by his posting. Not everybody likes him. That's ok. 

I think it is very telling how differently his threads have performed on this forum versus CoinTalk. 

3 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

VKB is a Troll. 

And Jason is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

10 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Headless horsemen can neither see, nor hear, nor think any more.

But he struck fear into anyone who ran across him.  :)

I have never put anyone on "ignore", but there have been times when I have been sorely tempted to.

Edited by Conder101

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

I consider being on Jason Poe’s ignore list to be one of my most valued awards in my Numismatic career. Not the only one, nor even the top one, but it is close. Some people are just “life trolls” and I consider Jason one.

Begging Insider's pardon...

VKurtB -- I should like to share that honor and distinction bestowed upon you, as your co-defendant. After all, it was I who received a formal written Notice of Intent to Ignore a Troll, which quite frankly ought to count for something. One of the luxuries I have is being able to speak my mind without unsolicited feedback. MEMBERSHIP HAS ITS PRIVILEGES. 😉

ATS I have 2 trolls but zero on my ignore list.

I'm surprised to find that one is here because his ego requires cubic yards of adoration.

It's posible I can flush him out with a spelling error .:grin:

Edited by Cat Bath

I have never ignored anyone. I guess I am too curious or too nosey. I find even most of the annoying posts interesting, and I would feel  like I was missing something if I did not at least give myself a chance to see if I wanted to read someone's post. And, believe me, I have skipped over many posts that I felt were a waste of time to read in their entirety. I never even blocked the troll who keeps coming back after being banned,  and who calls me out every time he returns with a new alt. ( To this day I still have no idea what I said or did to make him hate me so much.) There have been others who have taken potshots, too, but I don't pay much attention. Or, if I do, I get over it quickly. Life is too short to let an internet chat board control my mood.

Edited by Just Bob

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

Life is too short to let an internet chat board control my mood.

Which is why I use my ignore list the way I do: to remind me that at some point I decided I wanted to avoid engaging with or expending effort on behalf of someone, for whatever reason: trolling, illiteracy, stupidity, entitlement, inability to face facts. I may still look at their posts, but having to click just to see them reminds me: at some point, that person showed me that engaging them was only going to make my day worse.

VKurtB, you had many friends over on CT until you decided to tick off everyone of them.  Looks like you are doing the same here. I hope you find a way to get along with others before it's too late. 

2 hours ago, ldhair said:

VKurtB, you had many friends over on CT until you decided to tick off everyone of them.  Looks like you are doing the same here. I hope you find a way to get along with others before it's too late. 

Oh I dunno, I still have fans over there. I get it that you are not one them, Larry, and that's quite okay with me. Look Larry, I actually do "feel for" folks like you, and @Insider, and @physics-fan3.14, and @RWB, and @GDJMSP over at CoinTalk, and a handful of others here and there. I know what it feels like when a beloved activity that you've sunk decades into becoming among the best at the practices of that used to be important, it then crushes your heart and it walks away from making or keeping you relevant. While you and those others were becoming among the best at grading the way it used to be, and maybe getting paid to do it, I was becoming one of the top people in the old-school photographic industry, and I was paid handsomely to do that. No more. The digital revolution, slowly at first and then all of a sudden, made my expertise nearly "irrelevant" in the marketplace. Knowing emulsions' characteristics gave way to megapixels and pixel patterns, and sharpening algorithms, and jpeg compression artifacts, and tons of other stuff I almost resent. But I couldn't stop that train any more than you 5 gentlemen I've named above can stop the march to TPGS-style "commercial" or "market" grading. The old ways are officially dead, and you can get with it, or get run over BY it. You still get to choose. I didn't.

So I did what a lot of people do when the field they were in "forever" goes "breasts up" and floats, and you're still in your 50's - I went into government service.

Edited by VKurtB

I think if we could all just contribute the knowledge we have, this forum would be much better. We all have the same hobby with different interests and opinions. If we could share those without passing judgment all the time, we may all learn something.  Jmo